aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest idol_wild
Ugh, how did Arsenal win that game. Kind of feel a little sick about it. I was watching it with an Arsenal supporting colleague and disappointingly the locals all took it in good spirits when he got up and shouted at the two goals.

At 0-1 or 1-1 I would have fully expected Barca to go through. I still make them favourites but now Arsenal have something to protect you never know what may happen.

Quite simply, Arsenal scored two goals and Barcelona never. Barcelona clearly thought they had the game won after about seventy minutes, and I think they got everything they deserved for resting on their laurels. They know that individually and collectively they are superior to Arsenal, but they didn't do nearly enough.

Barcelona looked great for, well, the whole game really. But looking great isn't enough - the ball has to go into the back of the net. I don't think Barcelona felt Arsenal were in any way capable of scoring against them last night, let alone defeating them. Barcelona are evidently the best footballing side in the world and a clear level above pretty much every other club team on the planet, but I really feel they took their 1-0 position after 60 minutes for granted.

Generally, I hate Arsenal, but they played the perfect game tactically last night - they had to chase Barcelona around for really long spells, and they never appeared to tire and lose concentration. Wilshere didn't look out of place competing with the formiddable Barcelona midfield, and alongside Fabregas. Koscielny was massive all night, and Van Persie, as always, was fucking mint.

I really hope Arsenal can do the business in the Nou Camp. I have nothing against Barcelona in any way - I just failed to appreciate their approach to the game last night.

I'm still undecided about Pedro. He looks like Nani from 3 years ago. Flashes of 'by heck, he's quite good', hindered by plenty of 'should have passed/shot/crossed 3 cruyff turns ago'

Whats happening with Bojan? He's looked like a solid prospect for years, but he's never come out of the prospect phase and been given a proper go. He just seems to come on when it's 5-0 and there's no way they can possibly lose. He should be loaned out. He's wasted on the bench.

They still should have kept Eto'o. That was fantastic business for Inter, mind. Loads of money and arguably a more consistent, complete player.

Quite simply, Arsenal scored two goals and Barcelona never. Barcelona clearly thought they had the game won after about seventy minutes, and I think they got everything they deserved for resting on their laurels. They know that individually and collectively they are superior to Arsenal, but they didn't do nearly enough.

Barcelona looked great for, well, the whole game really. But looking great isn't enough - the ball has to go into the back of the net. I don't think Barcelona felt Arsenal were in any way capable of scoring against them last night, let alone defeating them. Barcelona are evidently the best footballing side in the world and a clear level above pretty much every other club team on the planet, but I really feel they took their 1-0 position after 60 minutes for granted.

Generally, I hate Arsenal, but they played the perfect game tactically last night - they had to chase Barcelona around for really long spells, and they never appeared to tire and lose concentration. Wilshere didn't look out of place competing with the formiddable Barcelona midfield, and alongside Fabregas. Koscielny was massive all night, and Van Persie, as always, was fucking mint.

I really hope Arsenal can do the business in the Nou Camp. I have nothing against Barcelona in any way - I just failed to appreciate their approach to the game last night.

I agree. Wilshere was especially awesome. And if Van Persie wasn't so slow, he'd be as good as Ronaldo mk1. Believe.

Wilshere was fantastic. Good touch and passing. He could well be the controlling midfield player England need to perform better internationally.

Theo Walcott was pretty awful. What was up with all the cutting inside trying to dribble past 2 Barca players. You're not Lionel Messi, just run down the fucking touchline. He would have skinned Maxwell alive but he never once actually just put his head down and ran.

I'm still undecided about Pedro. He looks like Nani from 3 years ago. Flashes of 'by heck, he's quite good', hindered by plenty of 'should have passed/shot/crossed 3 cruyff turns ago'

Whats happening with Bojan? He's looked like a solid prospect for years, but he's never come out of the prospect phase and been given a proper go. He just seems to come on when it's 5-0 and there's no way they can possibly lose. He should be loaned out. He's wasted on the bench.

They still should have kept Eto'o. That was fantastic business for Inter, mind. Loads of money and arguably a more consistent, complete player.

I think Pedro has been great this season. He's developed at a really quick pace. I get the feeling Pep doesn't rate Bojan that highly. Pedro jumped the queue ahead of him and now he seems to be getting less and less time on the pitch. He really needs to go somewhere else (perhaps) on loan to develop. He was played more for Spain in Euro 2008 than he is for Barca now.

Theo Walcott was pretty awful. What was up with all the cutting inside trying to dribble past 2 Barca players. You're not Lionel Messi, just run down the fucking touchline. He would have skinned Maxwell alive but he never once actually just put his head down and ran.

Really? I thought Walcott created some of the best chances for Arsenal and looked like he was scaring the crap out of Barca every time he ran at them. The only reason he didn't have more success is every time he got the ball Barca surrounded him to try and stop him running with it.

Really? I thought Walcott created some of the best chances for Arsenal and looked like he was scaring the crap out of Barca every time he ran at them. The only reason he didn't have more success is every time he got the ball Barca surrounded him to try and stop him running with it.

I wasn't really paying much attention for the first 10 minutes when Arsenal apparently played very well (so he may have played a blinder for all i know!). After that every time he had the ball he seemed to cut inside every time, and just dribble into a crowd of barca players and lose possession. it looked like there was plenty of space on the touchline if he stuck to it, but whenever he did get the ball, he was always 5-10 yards infield which is where Barca had numbers defending. I think he set up Van Persie for one shot by cutting inside, but he never looked as dangerous as he does attacking the full back.

Arsenal's second goal came from Arshavin doing what Walcott didn't during his time on the pitch, running past the full back and making space for himself, then cutting inside.

I'd agree with this. Walcott does make some questionable decisions but his athleticism alone make him a formidable player. I think, in general, he's been a great player this season. I didn't think Arsenal would win last night as they seemed to be fluffing it in the final third but in the end I'd argue that they were deserved victors. They're getting to the stage where they MAY not miss Fabregas if he goes in the summer. I should rephrase that, they will miss him, but I no longer think he's vital. Nasri: yes; Wilshere: yes; Song; Yes.... My Dad's a bit of a part time Gooner so I usually want to see them do ok, without caring that much, and as much as I admire Barcelona, i would like to see Arsenal prevail in this tie. I think its a ridiculously tall order, Barca could beat them 5-0 I think, but certainly achievable. Konscelny was dead good last night, however he can be pretty bad. hopefully he puts in a similar performance at the Nou Camp. Djourou though, i think he's ok. Not good enough to be at the heart of a Champions League winning side, but we shall see. Sczesny (sp?) was brilliant last night. Better than Almunia or Fabianski and only 20 years old!!

Anyway, really enjoyed the game for some reason. Looking forward to the second leg.

Surpised JC has had to drop a division to get work. OK he wasn't exactly Mr Popular up here, but his record was pretty damn good, top 6 every year, a couple of sojourns into Europe, and he did well at Dunfermline as well. I though he'd have walked into an SPL job or a low-end Championship / League One long before now.

Anyway to get the FA cup matches being shown down south on ITV this weekend (without internet access!). STV are showing James Bond movies or something instead and due to Sky being a bit incompetent and forgetting to arrange it, I still have no internet despite ordering it over a month ago.

It always annoys me when we don't get English matches on Scottish regional TV. Is it a broadcasting rights issue or do they just assume we'd rather watch a James Bond movie for the 50th time than the FA cup?

Really? I had no idea. Which channel?

ITV & BBC on Sky

I've found this guide that lets you change which regional ITV you receive but I'll probably mess it up and destroy the sky box.

ITV1 London is Sky channel 993. It is great. There's also a way to get the down south ITV HD channel through the Services->Other Channels section. I don't know how that's done, the fella that set up my sky box in the summer did it for me. He was a nice chap.

• Upvote 1