aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone
I've repeated this to drunken fans in pubs across Aberdeen hundreds of times. It's a stupid, nonsensical rumour. Even if he does use the site in the future there is no way that means the conclusion of his evil master plan.

You always get the fans that moan about the amount of "suits" that work at Pittodrie and see this as the reason that we are in a dire financial state. I worked there in 2001/2002 and can confirm that everyone there at the time was constantly busy doing the things that needed done and staying late/working weekends to do so. A number of hard working people also got laid off. There is a reliance at the lower levels of administration on people who love the club because I can also confirm that the salaries are pish comparative to similar roles in different organisations. When you are talking about the high level roles you need to pay professionals a suitable wage to keep them.

I don't know what it is like now and do have some questions about Willie Miller's role when there are others still there that did a similar thing but generally I believe the club are doing what they can with the limited resources that they have.

You've just changed my opinion.

I thought the guys at the very top of football teams would be eating into the money of the club. I always knew there were guys who plough money into a club and end up losing a shitload, but I generally thought that was just through stupidity/bad luck, but that generally they were all trying to make some more money.

Take that guy Calum Melville as an example - he's a businessman and an Aberdeen fan, but he chose Dundee to chuck his money at and then came out with massive losses. I'm pretty certain he tried to make money out of that venture, but fucked it up - I thought most of the other chairmen would be trying to make money as well.

I don't think United have been that bad. When Rio and Vidic play together, defensively they are incredible. Nani has been tremendous too, and has softened the blow of Valencia being injured for so long, as he offers a constant supply and was the reason Rooney was so prolific up top on his own last season. They've not been as good as they have been in the past, but based on current merit, they deserve to be top due to being so consistent, where as Arsenal and Chelsea are currently pissing their title bids up the wall.

Guest Gladstone
I don't think United have been that bad. When Rio and Vidic play together, defensively they are incredible. Nani has been tremendous too, and has softened the blow of Valencia being injured for so long, as he offers a constant supply and was the reason Rooney was so prolific up top on his own last season. They've not been as good as they have been in the past, but based on current merit, they deserve to be top due to being so consistent, where as Arsenal and Chelsea are currently pissing their title bids up the wall.

I really want Arsenal to win the league. I say "really" but I won't care that much if the don't, but I'm rooting for them.

The football they play is great, but they do lack a bit of killer instinct at times.

I really (and I mean that really) hope that Man City don't win the league. For all the money they've spent and all the talent at their disposal, the defensive shite they play is just that, shite. They were lucky not to get horsed by Arsenal last night with them hitting the post three times, and Joe Hart pulling off that save from Van Persie's shot.

The demolition of Chelsea by Arsenal was quite good fun...

I find Man Utd a bit less entertaining than Arsenal to watch most of the time, but they are far more exciting than Man City and Chelsea - Chelsea were pretty damn good at the start of the season but are just shite now.

EDIT: And Spurs have been quite good to watch this season as well. That Arsenal v Spurs game a few weeks ago was ace!

Obviously they've been the best of the bunch, but earlier in the season they were throwing points away almost every week and even recently when in general they've been better they still provide us with the occasional piece of crap like their performance against WBA.

I'd just be really annoyed if I had to hear the team and fans going on about how they were so great no one could beat them. They're nowhere near the unbeaten arsenal side in quality or recent Chelsea or Utd title winning sides that weren't unbeaten. Obviously the fact I really hate them doesn't help.

Fergie should bring back becks, then I'd support them all the way!

Take that guy Calum Melville as an example - he's a businessman and an Aberdeen fan, but he chose Dundee to chuck his money at and then came out with massive losses. I'm pretty certain he tried to make money out of that venture, but fucked it up - I thought most of the other chairmen would be trying to make money as well.

You've just picked about the worst example possible. He didn't come out with massive losses he came out with his reputation in tiny little pieces and a criminal investigation into his business dealings. He's one of the main reasons Dundee had to enter administration.

You can't compare him to the situation at Pittodrie with Stewart Milne. He's more like Romanov or the fuckwits that were in charge of Dundee last time it went under.

Guest Gladstone
You've just picked about the worst example possible. He didn't come out with massive losses he came out with his reputation in tiny little pieces and a criminal investigation into his business dealings. He's one of the main reasons Dundee had to enter administration.

You can't compare him to the situation at Pittodrie with Stewart Milne. He's more like Romanov or the fuckwits that were in charge of Dundee last time it went under.

I wasn't comparing him to Milne, just other chairmen who have pummelled their money into clubs, like Romanov.

He lost all the money he ploughed into Dundee did he not?

The criminal investigation was to do with his other company Cosalt and nothing to do with Dundee as far as I knew.

Guest Gladstone

BBC Sport - Football - English Premier League club targets David Goodwillie

I hope they get a really good price for him if they sell him - particularly to the EPL.

Every single player in the EPL is overvalued, so if they think he's good enough for the EPL, they should be willing to pay at least 3 million for him, but the article says 1.5m. It would annoy me if he went for that kind of money, because he'll proceed to get passed around English clubs for 4-5 million afterwards...

Guest Gladstone

BBC Sport - Football - St Mirren would prefer SPL of 14

A 14 team league?

There is no detail in there, but I'm assuming that we're just talking about playing each team twice, so 26 games for a full season. That doesn't seem enough to me.

I know it's been said quite a few times that 16 or 18 team league isn't financially viable - why exactly isn't it? I haven't got my head round that yet...

they keep saying that being in the second tier would be better for the teams than dropping into the current first division, but wouldn't it be better for them to be in the actual 18 team Premier League...? And have a first division and second division or SPL, SPL2 and SPL3 if you want to call them that?

1100 pitch inspection at TFS for us to worry about the morn. Hope they don't cock it up like last time where one of the local refs passed the pitch playable on the morning of the match, only for that fucker Norcroft to pop down and rule it unplayable less than an hour before kick off. Cheers.

Would like to hear about another lower league catastrophe from Shittodrie, I doubt it this time though...:(

Would like to hear about another lower league catastrophe from Shittodrie, I doubt it this time though...:(

The Dons only tend to get put out by ex-players, so I reckon they'll be fine...*

*Checks East Fife squad*

Oops, looks like you could be in trouble:

imagesStevie%20Crawford%204x5%20August%202010(1).jpg

In all seriousness, East Fife could be a tricky game. Looking at their squad, they have players like Kurtis Byrne, Robert Sloan, Shaun Fagan, Scott Durie and the MIGHTY STEVE HISLOP who have played (and could still play) at a higher level. They also have an excellent manager in John Robertson, who was brilliant for ICT :love:

I'm just away to jump on a train back to Elgin, to see the folks and mates before the Inverness Caley Thistle v. Elgin City game tomorrow. No 'cupset' their please! :up:

I know it's been said quite a few times that 16 or 18 team league isn't financially viable - why exactly isn't it? I haven't got my head round that yet...

18 teams would mean only playing every team twice and therefore losing out on the money generated by playing the old firm three or four times a season.