aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

I'm usually very disinterested in La Liga, but this season has started off great with Valencia and Villareal leading the line, Barcelona struggling for results and Real Madrid struggling for goals (until last night). Valencia have had quite reasonable luck with their openeing fixtures though, but they showed they are a very capable side even against Man United.

The Real Madrid camp is becoming increasingly intriguing, especially as Ronaldo has become the most unbearable he has ever been in his career, all whilst Mourinho lauded him as "untouchable" very recently. The hug he gave Higuain before kick off looked very laboured, and not completely reciprocated, and Ronaldo showed no desire to support the frontman like Di Maria did, who was just fantastic last night, and seems to be able to ration his individual flair with his work ethic and selflessnes. If Ronaldo didn't cost Real Madrid 80million, the likes of Di Maria and Higuain could, and should usurp him out of the side. Since he is such a marquee signing, it will simply never happen. real Madrid could have scored 10 last night, with ease. Ronaldo made stupid decisions whe Higuain was constantly in good positions, often infront of goal with an open net. Surely the fans can't be far away from losing their patience with him. I really hope his selfishness costs them points sooner rather than later, as Real Madrid winning despite Ronaldo being a mardy twat is simply papering over huge cracks in the way they operate as a team.

So, the Scotland squad.... thoughts? Looks half-decent to me, though there's a few names missing and a few on there that don't exactly inspire confidence. Defence looks very thin on the ground, especially with Hutton and Caldwell both carrying knocks. However that said, we are going to ABSOLUTELY FUCK Czech Republic and Spain, of that there is no doubt.

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: McGregor (Rangers), Gilks (Blackpool), Gordon (Sunderland)

Defenders: Hutton (Tottenham), Berra (Wolves), McManus (Middlesbrough), G Caldwell (Wigan), Weir (Rangers), Whittaker (Rangers), McEveley (Barnsley)

Midfielders: Adam (Blackpool), Brown (Celtic), Dorrans (West Brom), McCulloch (Rangers), Fletcher (Manchester United), Morrison (West Brom), Robson (Middlesbrough), Maloney (Celtic)

Forwards: Fletcher (Wolves), Iwelumo (Burnley), Mackie (QPR), Miller (Rangers), Naismith (Rangers).

BBC Sport - Rangers defender Kirk Broadfoot out of Scotland squad

Meanwhile, Scotland coach Craig Levein revealed that Wigan defender Gary Caldwell has no chance of playing in both qualifying matches.

Caldwell has yet to play for Wigan this season, having just returned to fitness after summer surgery on a hip problem.

Levein says he will wait to see how the former Celtic and Hibernian player performs in training before deciding if he can play in one, or part of one, of the two qualifiers.

Why pick him then? Waste of a spot IMO.

How can he have 'no chance of playing' while simultaneously being given a chance to prove himself in training? That makes no sense.

Kevin Davies is in the England squad. Good for him.

It's not very well worded, but I think it means he has no chance of playing in both games, but will get to play in one if he proves he's fit enough. Either way, bad move, we should be picking fit players who are in good form, like.... er.....

How can he have 'no chance of playing' while simultaneously being given a chance to prove himself in training? That makes no sense.

Kevin Davies is in the England squad. Good for him.

Cyril has deserved a cap for a while, I reckon. Better player than Carlton Cole and Bobby Z. Probably >Heskey too.

Ben Arfa's got a double leg break and will be out for at least 6 months. What a kick in the teeth. I almost feel as bad about this as I did when we were relegated. It's just typical Newcastle, really: we sign a top quality player who comes into the squad with an instant impact, and a couple of games later he's crocked. I hope we sign him at the end of the season, because the lad's absolute class. Fuck Nigel De Jong. May a thousand plagues be cast upon him.

Fingers crossed that the remaing players have what it takes to keep us up. Cheick Tiote looks absolutely immense, though. Brilliant signing thus far.

Scotland are really short of goalkeepers. Cammy Bell has been called up in place of Matt Gilks. Fuck me, it'll be Ryan Esson next!

Kirk Broadfoot and Matt Gilks have withdrawn from the Scotland squad ahead of the Euro 2012 double-header against Czech Republic and Spain.

Don Cowie, Kevin McNaughton and Cameron Bell have been called in to replace them.

BBC Sport - Football - Dundee Utd 0-4 Inverness CT = yet another clean sheet for Esson. Wonderful save at the death as well :up:

He's still not as good as:

McGregor

Alexander

Enckelman

Forster

Zaluska

Possibly even:

Langfield

Randolph

Pernis

Combe

He's not even overrated. He was shit at Aberdeen, a failure at basic league level in England and he's the best of a bad bunch at ICT. Rose tinted specs Ross.

That was a shit game on our side, we made you lot look good.

He's still not as good as:

McGregor - had a good season I agree (minus acts of generally fud'ness v. Aberdeen and Hibs)

Alexander - Hasn't played in the SPL this season

Enckelman - rotten

Forster Solid enough start

Zaluska - Dumped after a poor start to the season

Possibly even:

Langfield - Remind me how he got on in his appearance(s) this season?

Randolph - solid enough

Pernis - A good keeper but has had a poor start for his standards

Combe -ABSOLUTELY rotten and also not getting a game

He's not even overrated. He was shit at Aberdeen, a failure at basic league level in England and he's the best of a bad bunch at ICT. Rose tinted specs Ross.

That was a shit game on our side, we made you lot look good.

Report card handed back. *Must try harder...

Chortle.

Most of those keepers would walk straight into the ICT team.

Our sub keeper Johnny Tuffey (Northern Ireland no.2) is a better keeper than most of the ones you have mentioned. Tuffey call up for Italy & Faroes

Whilst how many of that list will be travelling on International Duty this weekend...? McGregor. Maybe Pernis or Enckleman are still there or there abouts, I can't be bothered checking.

Like I said; must try harder.

Our sub keeper Johnny Tuffey (Northern Ireland no.2) is a better keeper than most of the ones you have mentioned. Tuffey call up for Italy & Faroes

Whilst how many of that list will be travelling on International Duty this weekend...? McGregor. Maybe Pernis or Enckleman are still there or there abouts, I can't be bothered checking.

Like I said; must try harder.

I'm sure i could get a call-up to the Northern Ireland team. Can you name me more than 5 N.Ireland goalkeepers playing at a reasonable level? I could name a bunch of Scottish keepers playing at a good level. What's your point? Shit goalkeeper gets called up for national team that doesn't have much to chose from. If he'd been called up for England i'd be impressed. Fuck, he's an International goalkeeper, Butcher must be pigshit thick if he's picking the un-capped Esson ahead of Tuffey. Faaaak orf.

I'm sure i could get a call-up to the Northern Ireland team. Can you name me more than 5 N.Ireland goalkeepers playing at a reasonable level? I could name a bunch of Scottish keepers playing at a good level. What's your point? Shit goalkeeper gets called up for national team that doesn't have much to chose from. If he'd been called up for England i'd be impressed. Fuck, he's an International goalkeeper, Butcher must be pigshit thick if he's picking the un-capped Esson ahead of Tuffey. Faaaak orf.

This post just shows how little football you actually see outside Sky/ESPN/streamed matches. You're demonstrating a very naive attitude, which I'm surprised to see you display. i.e. I don't know anything about this player, but I notice he plays for N.Ireland (ranked above Scotland btw!)... therefore he must be rank.

Do a bit more revision on Johnny Tuffey then get back to me. That, or quit fishing. kthxbai :up:

This post just shows how little football you actually see outside Sky/ESPN/streamed matches. You're demonstrating a very naive attitude, which I'm surprised to see you display. i.e. I don't know anything about this player, but I notice he plays for N.Ireland (ranked above Scotland btw!)... therefore he must be rank.

Do a bit more revision on Johnny Tuffey then get back to me. That, or quit fishing. kthxbai :up:

That's not what i'm saying at all, way to drop a pre-conceived notion about me in there too by the way. There's a lot more high level competition for starting places in the Scotland squad and there are a lot more of those fighting for a squad place that are playing consistently at a higher level than there are in the N.Ireland squad. Looking at te current squad they've only got Maik Taylor who has actually played at a decent level (Tuffers playing a few casual games for ICT does not count as consistently performing at a high level i'm afraid). Scotland have:

Gordon

McGregor

Marshall

Alexander

Gilks

Gallacher

Turner (Not as consistent as the others i'll admit but decent enough and i'm sure you'd have him over Esson or Tuffey)

All of which have played at least at Championship level in England (which is a substantial jump up against SPL level).

Esson bottled it in the lower leagues in England just like he bottled it at Aberdeen. ICT took a chance on him (when very few others would) and yes, he's a decent player for a team like ICT but he's not an international goalkeeper by any stretch. He's had a decent run of games but he's not a great goalkeeper. I think ICT owe more to the fact that they're riding on the wave of a good promotion campaign last season. The indian summer won't last and i'll expect to see you skimming the bottom three come the end of the season. Getting horsed 6-0 by Celtic is a good indicator of ICTs short comings.

If you lot can stay up this season then i'd expect a better run next year as there's a decent team spirit at ICT with the current group of players (something that's lacking in most of teh SPL teams) and there are a number of reasonable players in the team to build round.

I say, this has all got rather heated! Here's a picture of Sieb Dykstra twatting an uppity Hun, just to make everyone feel better:

1922033.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A62902129ABF3C78F39930FDCFC4C15FBB

When did it get heated? No-one's calling anyone names or anything, it's a healthy discussion between two people with differing opinions.

Why's everyone on this board so intent on stifling discussion for throwing shitty puns about and the suchlike all the time?