aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

I don't rate him as highly as Paul Dickov... Yet.

It'll be interesting to see how the buffoon Mancini sets his side out next season, as we're likely to sign Yaya Toure who's yet another defensive midfielder, and we're keeping, inexplicably, Viera who was gash after we signed him. Word is De Jong's on the way out which is a disgrace as he's easily twice the player of Viera.

Good to see another attacking option sign on, and Silva is most definitely a player I'll relish seeing in the sky blue. Still think if we're serious about Champions League football we need options up front, and to punt that useless git Santa Claus. Two more strikers in, please Bobby Manc...

De Jong is the only City player I like, because he is proper good and totally nails. I wouldn't want to spill his pint. Christ.

Barry should make way for Yaya, because Gaz Baz is shitty shite, and a defensive midfield pairing of Yaya and De Jong would have the same effect as building a brick wall in front of the goal mouth. Solid.

Vieira is rubbish too. Looks slow as hell now. Pointless marquee signing. He ain't got no game, man.

Apparently we've signed Andrew Halliday from Livingstone. What's the scoop on him apart from 'winger' and '18 years old'?

'Simulation' Halliday!

He's a diving cunt, as the above hints.

However, he's a very slippery customer, and should be alright at Championship level provided Strachan sets his team out to attack...

Guest idol_wild

That's a blessing for Aberdeen. The guy is a bottler and has absolutely no pace or positional sense. Bad full-back, average left sided midfielder.

He has one strength: the ability to kick a ball really well with his left foot.

Granted, that's a skill every other player at Aberdeen lacks. But still.

I got an email from AFC this week reminding me that I haven't renewed my season ticket.

I replied to them saying I wouldn't be doing so until I see the calibre of players (if any) they are going to bring in.

I imagine the majority of the support will be the same,

And judging by the total lack of any signings or rumors, season ticket sales will be VERY low.

Losing Mulgrew is a major blow considering his goal tally from free kicks and his assists from decent crosses.

Regarding Grassi and Duff I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing. They are not considered good enough by the manager so he is letting them go but erm, will we actually have a squad?!

If the sheep don't bring any more experienced heads and have too many younger players making up the spine of the first XI (a'la Montrose last year, and look what happened there...) then I'd quite happily fire down to the bookies and stick a fiver on them going down, the only thing going in their favour is that the bottom 4/5 teams are going to be swimming in a sea of mediocrity aswell.

Sweepie on which month McGhee gets sacked? I'll take January, after a humiliating 6-0 home defeat to Partick 'more first division shite deja vu etc' Thistle in the Scottish Cup. (I can dream.)

Who could they sign that would persuade you to renew?

Anyone would be a start.

I'm not talking about names in particular.

A supposedly professional football club should have a network in place to identify potential signings within our budget.

I've seen little or no evidence of this.

We are now in exactly the same position as last year (with even less players) when McGhee took over.

Last year he signed a few terrible panic buys and this looks like being much the same. They will also miss pre-season training and will then be behind schedule.

I'm not wasting money to watch the same (albeit depleted) bunch of gutless players go through the motions.

It's ok though, i'm sure big Willie styles at the helm has it all under control.

I still think we've got the makings of a solid enough first XI:

Langfield

McArdle

Diamond

Considine

Foster

New signing

New signing

Fyvie

Pawlett

Aluko

New signing

Obviously those 3 new signings aren't going to be exciting, and they probably won't be of the supposed "calibre" of Mulgrew. We can't afford that, depressingly. Instead, McGhee should be looking to bring in players with a better mentality, who understand the way he wants the team to play. If he does that, while bringing on a few of the young guys, I think we'll see progress. Who knows, we might even achieve mediocrity.

I still think we've got the makings of a solid enough first XI:

Langfield

McArdle

Diamond

Considine

Foster

New signing

New signing

Fyvie

Pawlett

Aluko

New signing

Obviously those 3 new signings aren't going to be exciting, and they probably won't be of the supposed "calibre" of Mulgrew. We just can't afford that. Instead, McGhee should be looking to bring in players with a better mentality, who understand the way he wants the team to play. If he does that, while bringing on a few of the young guys, I think we'll see progress. Who knows, we might even achieve mediocrity.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that we have the makings of a good squad. The problem is that it's threadbare.

If Considine/Diamond/Aluko/Pawlett are out for a large chunk as per last season we'd be tatties.

We need a couple of experienced heads brought in from somewhere (which they can hopefully identify and sign) along with some relatively young squad players a la mcardle.

Hopefully a few more youngsters can step up too.