aberdeen-music

Your last great musical rediscovery...

diarmaid

Err, I think you'll find that Pavement made a career from ripping off The Fall (badly).

Just because Mark E Smith said it a lot doesn't make it true. Listen to pretty much anything on Slanted and Enchanted and then listen to Cupid Come.....

The first couple of e.p's are undoubtedly influenced by The Fall but I think they grew out of it as time went on. Smith fairly harped on about it though. Music evolves through imatiation and innovation so I don't really mind when people make their influences clear. Personally I'd be buzzing if a new upcoming band sounded alot like my band. But hey everyones different.

At least Malkamus was fairly open about how big an influence The Fall were on him. Plenty of other bands rip off other bands and never bat an eyelid about it. I remember watching an interview with This Will Destroy You. In the interview they claimed to never really listened to Mono or Mogwai. I find that pretty hard to believe listening to their output. Same with Snow Patrol 's Final Straw. It's clearly heavily influneced by Sebadohs Bake Sale and I've never heard Gary Lightyear(or whatever his name is) mentioning them in interviews or that. Listen to Sebadoh's skull then Wow by snow patrol and you'll get what I mean. (maybe wrong on the song being Wow but meh it's Saturday!)

• 3 weeks later...
The Offspring - Americana. Was listening to this in the card the other day and it's truly amazing. "Goodbye my friend you've messed up again. You're going to prison, you're off to the pen!"

"MY FRIIEEENNDS GOT A GIRLFRIEND AND HE HATES THAT BIITCH!"

Dumped that record into my 'working' playlist for the week. Not a weak track on it, fantastic band. Kings of pop punk riffage! Even Pretty Fly has a shit hot riff in it if you ignore how irritating the vocals are.

xx

"MY FRIIEEENNDS GOT A GIRLFRIEND AND HE HATES THAT BIITCH!"

Dumped that record into my 'working' playlist for the week. Not a weak track on it, fantastic band. Kings of pop punk riffage! Even Pretty Fly has a shit hot riff in it if you ignore how irritating the vocals are.

xx

It has some banging tracks on it, but it also has some total garbage on it too. Mostly pretty Fly, get a Job and Feelings. They are all pretty awful. The rest is rocking as hell. Have You Ever totally nails it, and Pay The Man, especially when the ROCK kicks in. So good.

I never quite got into Process of Belief. Infact it was the production and choir-like harmonies that put me off. Sounds like all the guitar parts have an octave effect on them, which is weird. Kyoto Now is such a great song though. There's a few others on there that are great. Sorrow is genuinely one of the worst BR songs ever made though. It sounds like a ho-down. Proper lapslapping and everything.

• Upvote 2

It has some banging tracks on it, but it also has some total garbage on it too. Mostly pretty Fly, get a Job and Feelings. They are all pretty awful. The rest is rocking as hell. Have You Ever totally nails it, and Pay The Man, especially when the ROCK kicks in. So good.

I never quite got into Process of Belief. Infact it was the production and choir-like harmonies that put me off. Sounds like all the guitar parts have an octave effect on them, which is weird. Kyoto Now is such a great song though. There's a few others on there that are great. Sorrow is genuinely one of the worst BR songs ever made though. It sounds like a ho-down. Proper lapslapping and everything.

I love Get a Job, Pretty Fly is a bit guff but I still let it play for the novelty. Forgot about Feelings though, that one's pretty baws.

And I have to respectfully disagree about Sorrow, but that's just a taste thing. I fucking love punk with a lapslapping vibe to it and I think Sorrow is an absolute fucking stoater of a tune.

xx