aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

what do you make of Derek Youngs recent efforts and his damning verdict in the papers today?

I wasn't at the game at the weekend but the recent games I've been to Young is one of the players who has been putting the effort in on the pitch. He will never stand out on the pitch and is certainly a no frills player but he won't shirk responsibility. In my opinion, he is someone we need to improve on when we sign players in the summer but he at least gives his all which is more than you can say for some of the other players we have. I actually enjoyed reading what he had to say as it shows that at least someone cares about playing for the team.

That said, it really shouldn't be much for the rest of the players to put the same effort in as Young. We're never going to have a squad with huge amounts of talent but determination is something every player should have. Guys like Sone Aluko is a player with great potential but when I've seen him this season he has been very lacklustre.

word is mulgrew told a fan he doesn't give a fuck about aberdeen,

Apparently "Fuck it, it's only Aberdeen." was a common response among Messr's Whyte, Winters, Bernard et al during Ebbe's time at the club. Nice to see the attitude has changed if that is true about Mulgrew.

what do you make of Derek Youngs recent efforts and his damning verdict in the papers today?

He's entirely correct in everything he said. He also gives that "110%" effort which is only possible when talking about football. A role model to all...just a shame about his ability. I've never thought he was a bad player, just very average.

He should be first on the team sheet every week. He really wears his heart on his sleeve. etc.

I hope next season's Championship days are better than this season's were. Boro finished the season with the kind of lacklustre, spineless display that's defined our year. 11th position in the league is where we ended up, a mere 29 points behind West Brom. Looks like I'm going to have to get used to supporting a Championship team for the forseeable future. That 06/07 UEFA Cup final feels like it was a long time ago now. Fulham fans, be warned - it can all go downhill faster than you think.

Lee Miller must be the embodiment of that sentiment.

I'm sure he's felt right at home with the rest of our goal shy strikers. Adam Johnson was the only player to get over 10 league goals for us this season and he left in January. Other than him only Lita got more than 5 (8 for Leroy) and Barry Robson got 5 thanks to being penalty taker after Jinky left. Lee Miller got nowt, even Chris Killen managed to bundle 3 in and he's utterly useless.

Can the World Cup talk start now so that I don't have to think about domestic football for a while?

Only Liverpool could have the audacity to get away with this. But some eagle eyed fan has noticed that Atletico Madrid fielded an ineligble player in the early rounds of this season's Champions League

LFC have appealed and Uefa are investigating the appeal today, if successful they will play Fulham in the final.

Liverpool fans are urged to register for tickets in the normal way if the appeal is successful.

Carlsberg don't do wind-ups, but if they did... yaddayadda. You get the idea.

What's everyone's thoughts on Kevin Kyle moving to Aberdeen part time?

I say part time due to this quote about travelling to Sunderland:

"If that's the case then I wouldn't need to stay up in Aberdeen all the time.

"I could commute by driving up on Sunday night and come back down again on Tuesday.

"The bulk of Aberdeen's away games will be in and around the Glasgow area anyway so the geography isn't a major obstacle. But I want to weigh up all my options."

Taken from BBC Sport - Football - Kevin Kyle in talks over possible Aberdeen move

i think kevin kyle would be a good signing but i'm not keen on this living in glasgow pish. you play for aberdeen you need to live up here, otherwise what's they point? sounds like he'll be another ego picking up a big wage without really committing to the team and the area.

as mental as this sounds, if we'd had more derek youngs in the team we wouldn't be in the position we're in now. if only he could play a bit of football as well.

young at least knows the fans are gutted and wants to play for aberdeen. him and duff both knew they weren't favoured this season but have worked their asses off to get back into the side and done everything that's been asked of them, they still can't hide a lack of talent but fuck it, we need them. i'd rather have duff and young than a whining prick like mulgrew, a lazy aluko, and the invisible and ineffective midfeild pairing of kerr and mcdonald.

i've a lot of time for mcghee but even if this was a transitional season, it's been pish.

If Kyle does the job for us and scores goals I'm not too concerned where he lives. In fact, he can crash on my couch if he gets us goals! I really didn't rate him when he signed for Killie and I was basing that on his previous performances for Scotland but he seems a more mature player now and think he'd be a decent signing if we get him.

However, I've never really understood why players would rather relocate. I'm sure a lot of it must be down to unsettling families but what an inconvenience. The whole Hignett situation all those years ago was a disaster in what could have been a great signing for the Dons and hopefully we won't have to put up with that again.

• Upvote 1

Who would be your realistic TOP quality players for Aberdeen to sign, like? I hear Messi and Rooney have expressed an interest...

Now you're just being a fanny.

What I meant was rather than signing 10 average players. We need to spend a bit more wage wise and 4 quality players in.

It's really not rocket science.

But it won't happen anyway.

Now you're just being a fanny.

What I meant was rather than signing 10 average players. We need to spend a bit more wage wise and 4 quality players in.

It's really not rocket science.

But it won't happen anyway.

You don't always have to spend to get quality. If you guys had a better scouting network you might be able to unearth a few gems for next to nothing.

You don't always have to spend to get quality. If you guys had a better scouting network you might be able to unearth a few gems for next to nothing.

The 'better scouting' one comes up all the time, but when you've got the OF snaffling the best of the young talent from the ages of 8-10 upwards, it's quite tricky to get really good players all the way through the youth systems (which themselves can vary quite wildly in quality), and many of them don't get released until the age of 17-18 when they either don't cut it in terms of abilty or discipline. I have seen a couple of examples close up.

Making a trip to the Hedge on Wednesday night for the Brechin/Airdrie play off, will be nice to spend 90 mins at a game with (not too much) risk of getting wound up.....

The 'better scouting' one comes up all the time, but when you've got the OF snaffling the best of the young talent from the ages of 8-10 upwards, it's quite tricky to get really good players all the way through the youth systems (which themselves can vary quite wildly in quality), and many of them don't get released until the age of 17-18 when they either don't cut it in terms of abilty or discipline. I have seen a couple of examples close up.

Making a trip to the Hedge on Wednesday night for the Brechin/Airdrie play off, will be nice to spend 90 mins at a game with (not too much) risk of getting wound up.....

Funnily though scouting doesn't just relate to youth players. Just look at Buaben and Gomis at United.

Funnily though scouting doesn't just relate to youth players. Just look at Buaben and Gomis at United.

Oh I know that, but it's never as easy as it sounds, especially when you consider that there is more money and infrastructure in the top two tiers down in England who are miles ahead of us up north (OF excepted) for a start. I used the youth example in response to the bit about spending money, obviously it is far better to get kids through that are potentially saleable like Hibs (and I have to grudgingly say, Livi).

Hopefully the next part of the McLeish report offers a bit more than the first part, which was basically just asking for more gruel (Oh, and a 14 team top league? Fuck right off :down:).

Oh I know that, but it's never as easy as it sounds, especially when you consider that there is more money and infrastructure in the top two tiers down in England who are miles ahead of us up north (OF excepted) for a start. I used the youth example in response to the bit about spending money, obviously it is far better to get kids through that are potentially saleable like Hibs (and I have to grudgingly say, Livi).

Hopefully the next part of the McLeish report offers a bit more than the first part, which was basically just asking for more gruel (Oh, and a 14 team top league? Fuck right off :down:).

Of course, but it doesn't stop more players who haven't made the grade in England making the grade here. Look at some of the players kicking about in United, Motherwell and Hibs squads. Most of those players were signed for next to nothing and if they do the business they'll be sold on and the money re-invested back into the team. That's literally the difference, apart from a much better attitude from the players, between those teams and Aberdeen.

seen as relegation battle in SPL is tight just wondered if anyone knows what happens if goal difference is the same, do they then go by goals scored?etc. i remember the championship changing their rules from goal difference to purely goals scored and then back to goal difference again.

Of course, but it doesn't stop more players who haven't made the grade in England making the grade here. Look at some of the players kicking about in United, Motherwell and Hibs squads. Most of those players were signed for next to nothing and if they do the business they'll be sold on and the money re-invested back into the team. That's literally the difference, apart from a much better attitude from the players, between those teams and Aberdeen.

Aye, and it can still very occasionally happen at SFL level too. We got Gary Harkins for sweet FA when he was released from Grimsby Town, and promptly flogged him for 150k to Dund (nae luck!) two summers later.

Perhaps there plainly just isn't much of a pull to Aberdeen as there maybe should be?

(PS: Wonder how embarrasing the crowd will be on Wednesday night, ho ho!)

Aye, and it can still very occasionally happen at SFL level too. We got Gary Harkins for sweet FA when he was released from Grimsby Town, and promptly flogged him for 150k to Dund (nae luck!) two summers later.

Perhaps there plainly just isn't much of a pull to Aberdeen as there maybe should be?

(PS: Wonder how embarrasing the crowd will be on Wednesday night, ho ho!)

Totally, and there are some decent players kicking about in the lower Scottish leagues as well. Surely some of them would be worth a gamble in Aberdeen's situation?