aberdeen-music

Wind-up?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

actually i thought q3 was pretty good. certainly not stupid. i like that you didn't even attempt to answer it.

surely music and lyrics should be prepared to tackle tough issues like domestic abuse and one of those ways to tackle it is satirical or by making a joke of it. surely wifebeaters music is the punk version of springtime for hitler and nothing more.

The guy who wrote Springtime For Hitler was being serious though :laughing: (well, within the film)

At the end of the day, this is all very typical of aberdeen-music. The ghostofcain initially raised a valid, if ill-informed point, then before you know it, he/she is jumped up by all the usual suspects...ironically advocating free speech. And before you know it, a potentially worthwhile poster is put off posting for fear of the lynch mob and will be forever hampered by a negative rep that he'll likely never be able to turn green. :down:

Racism is a tough issue, but does anyone believe starting a satirical band is the way forward? If so, go forth and start-up CoonHater and show racism the red card once and for all.

Wifebeater was a tragically unfunny band by people who should be old enough to know better. And I wasn't in the slightest bit offended by them, but I do think the world is an infinitely better place without them. This whole Labour thing is an utter, utter joke though

but Wifebeater were certainly not :up:

The guy who wrote Springtime For Hitler was being serious though :laughing: (well, within the film)

At the end of the day, this is all very typical of aberdeen-music. The ghostofcain initially raised a valid, if ill-informed point, then before you know it, he/she is jumped up by all the usual suspects...ironically advocating free speech. And before you know it, a potentially worthwhile poster is put off posting for fear of the lynch mob and will be forever hampered by a negative rep that he'll likely never be able to turn green. :down:

Racism is a tough issue, but does anyone believe starting a satirical band is the way forward? If so, go forth and start-up CoonHater and show racism the red card once and for all.

Wifebeater was a tragically unfunny band by people who should be old enough to know better. And I wasn't in the slightest bit offended by them, but I do think the world is an infinitely better place without them. This whole Labour thing is an utter, utter joke though

but Wifebeater were certainly not :up:

He wasn't just jumped on for his view though; the response would have been less angry if he hadn't said "good riddance to shite" etc. People on a music forum are naturally going to react angrily to censorship. I agree that Wifebeater were terrible musically, but I just don't see how one can seriously argue they are legally inciting violence. I personally thought it was some sort of in-joke taking the piss out hardcore punks' machismo.

Its all rather amusing tho at a time of financail disaster that some labour MPs want to focus on a little punk band who have barely played to more that 50 people at any one time.

I imagine they were reacting to a complaint from a constituent and wanted to be seen as to be taking action. I may be wrong though.

All of Wifebeater's songs as far as I'm aware contained references to violence against women so comparisons to the odd song by other bands with questionable content is a little wide of the mark.

Still, vote with your feet and don't attend the Wifebeater shows if you are offended!

I imagine they were reacting to a complaint from a constituent and wanted to be seen as to be taking action. I may be wrong though.

All of Wifebeater's songs as far as I'm aware contained references to violence against women so comparisons to the odd song by other bands with questionable content is a little wide of the mark.

Still, vote with your feet and don't attend the Wifebeater shows if you are offended!

yeah your prob right actually, having one or two songs would be different to writing a full set based on something like, but i still feel its a complete over reaction. This is nothing new tho even for small bands, as P.o.O we got quite a few nasty emails and stuff from people who seemed to think that Bring on the Sluts was the way we thought about women.

He wasn't just jumped on for his view though; the response would have been less angry if he hadn't said "good riddance to shite" etc. People on a music forum are naturally going to react angrily to censorship. I agree that Wifebeater were terrible musically, but I just don't see how one can seriously argue they are legally inciting violence. I personally thought it was some sort of in-joke taking the piss out hardcore punks' machismo.

But they were shite and good riddance to them. And why would people who have nothing to do with the band react more angirily cos he said they were shit? I didn't see the deleted posts but what I did read was a few general insults towards Wifebeater then he's got a barrage of abuse from all sides.

im exactly the same, i cannot stand the music in anyway shape or form, but to state that these people are well wifebeaters because they are in a band called that is stupid.

Christ i was in a band called Albyn School For Girls, and as much as i tried i couldnt become one.

Was? What happened?

I also don't think the racism comparison is valid. There's nothing about the term "wifebeater", which is inherently derogatory to women; it's pejorative only to those it's applied to. "CoonHater" on the other hand has a racial slur in it. Even if it were toned downed to "racist" or such, still there probably those who would happily calls themselves "racist" (or "white supremacist", "white nationalist" or whatever). I don't think the same is true of "wife beater".

But they were shite and good riddance to them. And why would people who have nothing to do with the band react more angirily cos he said they were shit? I didn't see the deleted posts but what I did read was a few general insults towards Wifebeater then he's got a barrage of abuse from all sides.

its got nothing to do with him saying they are shit, as a few including me have stated the music was dog tripe as far as im concerned but to state that someone could be violent because of the name and content of their band is completely out of order.

The funniest thing is i highly dobut anyone could tell me some wifebeater lyrics and you especially couldnt understand it during gigs or on cds so how they could promote violence is beyond me.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
its got nothing to do with him saying they are shit, as a few including me have stated the music was dog tripe as far as im concerned but to state that someone could be violent because of the name and content of their band is completely out of order.

The funniest thing is i highly dobut anyone could tell me some wifebeater lyrics and you especially couldnt understand it during gigs or on cds so how they could promote violence is beyond me.

"But the name of their band says they beat up their wives, and, and they have a song called Take That and That, and, and, and Where's My Fucking Tea. I think they should be thrown in jail."

Fuck off and get a sense of humour.

Shite musically, yes, but that's not what he meant. I could just as easily point to the stuff he said about Aberdeen welcoming them with open arms, which is bs anyway. The point is his gloating was specifically connected to them being persecuted for their band name and song titles (can anyone even decipher their lyrics?). Bands are derided as shite on here regularly and nothing happens; I've done it plenty of times and no one's ever bad rep-ed me. When you imply, as he did, that everyone in the Aberdeen music scene loves un-ironically sexist and violent bands then you can't expect people not to react angrily.

"But the name of their band says they beat up their wives, and, and they have a song called Take That and That, and, and, and Where's My Fucking Tea. I think they should be thrown in jail."

Fuck off and get a sense of humour.

They wouldn't understand irony if it hit them in the face.

I also don't think the racism comparison is valid. There's nothing about the term "wifebeater", which is inherently derogatory to women; it's pejorative only to those it's applied to. "CoonHater" on the other hand has a racial slur in it. Even if it were toned downed to "racist" or such, still there probably those who would happily calls themselves "racist" (or "white supremacist", "white nationalist" or whatever). I don't think the same is true of "wife beater".

I hear ya in a lot of ways, and you're spot on in terms of the names, but that was all just hyperbole. The point remains that no-one would find it funny if there was a group of fully-grown men singing entire whole sets about beating other races and how white is better and there would probably be a backlash against that much quicker.

Jake and co set out to offend, and it wouldn't suprise me if they were hoping something like this would happen within their first few gigs. Trouble was nobody was offended and very few found it even slightly funny. The highest point in Wifebeater's career is causing this whole storm in a teacup that'll be over and forgotten about in a week.

Shite musically, yes, but that's not what he meant. I could just as easily point to the stuff he said about Aberdeen welcoming them with open arms, which is bs anyway. The point is his gloating was specifically connected to them being persecuted for their band name and song titles (can anyone even decipher their lyrics?). Bands are derided as shite on here regularly and nothing happens; I've done it plenty of times and no one's ever bad rep-ed me. When you imply, as he did, that everyone in the Aberdeen music scene loves un-ironically sexist and violent bands then you can't expect people not to react angrily.

Well if it is Stripey then I fully understand as he was obviously being his usual mischevious self and wanting a raise. And if its not, then its pretty easy to see how he, albeit wrongly, arrived to that conclusion. Not that I think he thought they all loved them in a non-ironic way, but even finding it slightly funny is typical of the backwards way of thinking of a lot of Aberdonians.

And really, don't give me the satire shite. Satire is supposed to have at least some wit and design about it. Wifebeater just had a collection of commonly known wifebeating jokes that soon get tired when you're just having a laugh with the lads down the pub as song titles.

Jake and co set out to offend, and it wouldn't suprise me if they were hoping something like this would happen within their first few gigs. Trouble was nobody was offended and very few found it even slightly funny. The highest point in Wifebeater's career is causing this whole storm in a teacup that'll be over and forgotten about in a week.

They never set out to offend the general public though, it was a vehicle to wind uptight punks (they stated this early on and evidence is on this website)and they did succeed in ruffling some of the punx feathers.job done.game over.out.

Well if it is Stripey then I fully understand as he was obviously being his usual mischevious self and wanting a raise. And if its not, then its pretty easy to see how he, albeit wrongly, arrived to that conclusion. Not that I think he thought they all loved them in a non-ironic way, but even finding it slightly funny is typical of the backwards way of thinking of a lot of Aberdonians.

And really, don't give me the satire shite. Satire is supposed to have at least some wit and design about it. Wifebeater just had a collection of commonly known wifebeating jokes that soon get tired when you're just having a laugh with the lads down the pub as song titles.

its not stripey, he is the drummer from None Of The Above.

Got wound up over fudge not letting them play a night a snafu before or something too, that was also a great read...

Hopefully. To me, it always sounded like a drunken conversation at the end of a good night. It might have been funny to imagine being in a band called Wifebeater, and then have a 10 minute laugh coming up with funny song titles. But for whatever reason they decided to go ahead and do it. That to me was the mistake. Especially considering Jake's job, I always thought it was a bad idea. I would imagine his bosses won't be too chuffed at this. Hopefully he's not too much in the shit (the fact he asked for his account to be deleted doesn't look good), but to be honest he brought it on himself.