aberdeen-music

Wind-up?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

They never set out to offend the general public though, it was a vehicle to wind uptight punks (they stated this early on and evidence is on this website)and they did succeed in ruffling some of the punx feathers.job done.game over.out.

Haha fair play (although I still believe they'd of loved to offend the general public as well) but it doesn't take much to wind some of the true hardcore punks up. Some of them get severely wound up by even having the audacity to accept payment for gigs.

Hopefully. To me, it always sounded like a drunken conversation at the end of a good night. It might have been funny to imagine being in a band called Wifebeater, and then have a 10 minute laugh coming up with funny song titles. But for whatever reason they decided to go ahead and do it. That to me was the mistake. Especially considering Jake's job, I always thought it was a bad idea. I would imagine his bosses won't be too chuffed at this. Hopefully he's not too much in the shit (the fact he asked for his account to be deleted doesn't look good), but to be honest he brought it on himself.

do you not think that is a bit mental tho, he could maybe lose his job because of the name of his band. That surely would be PC gone made.

Well if it is Stripey then I fully understand as he was obviously being his usual mischevious self and wanting a raise. And if its not, then its pretty easy to see how he, albeit wrongly, arrived to that conclusion. Not that I think he thought they all loved them in a non-ironic way, but even finding it slightly funny is typical of the backwards way of thinking of a lot of Aberdonians.

And really, don't give me the satire shite. Satire is supposed to have at least some wit and design about it. Wifebeater just had a collection of commonly known wifebeating jokes that soon get tired when you're just having a laugh with the lads down the pub as song titles.

He's obviously not Stripey. He's posted on and off here for years, including several "drummer available" ads. I don't see the issue anyway; if you couch such a ludicrous argument in provocative terms people are going to get annoyed.

I don't think I mentioned satire, merely irony, but again it hardly matters. We're back to "artistically bad" rather than "immoral" or "illegal".

edit: and as others have pointed out, Jake could well lose his job because of this storm in a teacup

I was going to stay out of this thread but... So you do laugh about it? Or have done once upon a time?

Of course. I've laughed at plenty of paedo jokes too. And disabled people jokes. Told plenty of them as well. But I also stated that wifebeating jokes especially, get tired very quickly. If they get tired in an arena where, after a few pints, anything is hilarious, then what hope did they have when playing gigs to the general public?

To start a band who appeared to take it seriously (being in a band I mean, not the songs itself), gig semi-regularly, make every second post on here about relating to it...That's not just not funny, its downright sad.

He's obviously not Stripey. He's posted on and off here for years, including several "drummer available" ads. I don't see the issue anyway; if you couch such a ludicrous argument in provocative terms people are going to get annoyed.

I don't think I mentioned satire, merely irony, but again it hardly matters. We're back to "artistically bad" rather than "immoral" or "illegal".

edit: and as others have pointed out, Jake could well lose his job because of this storm in a teacup

I said from the start that I didn't think he was right in the slightest. Likewise I don't agree with this whole thing at all. But, given the current media around this, and given the songtitles and band name, then is it not simply a case of him getting the wrong end of the stick.

He's reacted like a dick, but he was backed into a corner. Rather than simply pointing out the facts and where he's gone wrong folk jumped down his throat. And imo the comparison he made to a similarly racist band and Wifebeater is valid, although not particularly strong. I'm more lamenting that it isn't the first time a new poster has been put off due to getting attacked within their first few posts - all it takes round this place is one poor spelling mistake, one 'obvious' question, or one misguided view and the usual suspects are down their throats. And god knows this place, and thus the local scene in general, needs as much new blood as it can get.

Anything else I've posted is just because I think Wifebeater are shhheeeiiitttteeeee and most definitely NOT :up:

I said from the start that I didn't think he was right in the slightest. Likewise I don't agree with this whole thing at all. But, given the current media around this, and given the songtitles and band name, then is it not simply a case of him getting the wrong end of the stick.

He's reacted like a dick, but he was backed into a corner. Rather than simply pointing out the facts and where he's gone wrong folk jumped down his throat. And imo the comparison he made to a similarly racist band and Wifebeater is valid, although not particularly strong. I'm more lamenting that it isn't the first time a new poster has been put off due to getting attacked within their first few posts - all it takes round this place is one poor spelling mistake, one 'obvious' question, or one misguided view and the usual suspects are down their throats. And god knows this place, and thus the local scene in general, needs as much new blood as it can get.

Anything else I've posted is just because I think Wifebeater are shhheeeiiitttteeeee and most definitely NOT :up:

He's not new tho and he has come across as a complete twat long before this thread. He has got the wrong end of the stick , he seems to think they actually have this urge to encourage people towards violence and domestic abuse which is simply not the case, it was ment to wind folk up and quite obvioulsy has worked rather well.

He's not new though. But otherwise, ok.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I'd take Jake to the hilt, as he always took the time to say hello and have a nice chat with me whenever I saw him out and about.

Fixed that for ya

• Upvote 1

I thought Wifebeater were punk? Anyone remember the days when punk actually meant something, political action

Jake would eat you for breakfast regarding his vast knowledge of punk.

Since when has punk music dictated that you have to be political?

They've obviously got a lot of local fans to back them up, so why are they worried? And you all think you are so right about free speech, why don't they take it to the European Court of Human Rights? Fight it all the way instead of backing out even before the shit hits the fan?

You don't suffer from panic attacks if you travel further that Newtonhill by any chance?

This is delicious!

I never saw wifebeater but always thought the idea was pretty funny, albeit slightly pilfered from Anal Cunt.

In all seriousness, domestic abuse is terrible - but who the fuck takes this seriously?! The great thing about comedy is there is no black and white. Just a massive grey area.

The great thing is, the people that stand against this sort of thing will have undoubtably at some point laughed at something that someone else would find distasteful.

Don't see anyone complaining about the band "the Killers" - as far as I'm concerned murdering people is worse than beating up woman.

This is delicious!

I never saw wifebeater but always thought the idea was pretty funny, albeit slightly pilfered from Anal Cunt.

In all seriousness, domestic abuse is terrible - but who the fuck takes this seriously?! The great thing about comedy is there is no black and white. Just a massive grey area.

The great thing is, the people that stand against this sort of thing will have undoubtably at some point laughed at something that someone else would find distasteful.

Don't see anyone complaining about the band "the Killers" - as far as I'm concerned murdering people is worse than beating up woman.

hahahaha thats fucking ace, i would have never thought of them.

Let's cut the petty insults and endless bleating about free speech and look at the facts. The hapless goons on this thread that supported Wifebeater unwittingly gave them enough rope to hang themselves. Unfortunately for them, legislation exists to prosecute those accused of inciting hatred towards ANY section of society and whether you like it or not, deriding women and being seen to mock the issues around domestic abuse, not to mention going as far as to advocate the merits of a particular weapon to beat a woman go a long way towards that charge regardless of the claim that it's just meant to wind people up. So egging the band on has actually led them to the point where the authorities are taking a very close interest in what's going on with the potential to lead to criminal charges. Doesn't matter what anyone says on here, that will be decided by the police if they get involved. Taking the content off the web is, i'm guessing, shutting the stable door way after the horse has bolted.

And in case you're also unaware, under the Licensing Board's Gender Equality Scheme anyone putting on gigs where the material is in contravention of the stated principles of the scheme can and will lose their license. The council doesn't have any truck with 'irony'.

So, Exposure @ Lemon Tree

What a bunch of sad twats.

Wifebeater should reform and play some anti-Northsound gigs. And anti-women gigs or whatever.

Dedicate your band to a certain Northsound 1 DJ.

you have jeopardised the future funding and licensing of the Lemon Tree. How does it feel to wield such power through ignorance? This is a public forum not a private club and as such your comments will have been noted. I'd be astonished if your suggestion was actually supported by the Lemon Tree's management.

Cue backlash/sexist insults/threats/obscenities/dismal attempts at eloquence*

*delete as approriate but bear this in mind

a) the more you insult me the more I take it as a resounding endorsement of my character and

b) your next post could be the proof the police need to charge your friends with incitement to hatred.

Go for it....

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Killers is a fine example. I guess folk would come back with the argument that they don't sing all their songs about murdering people, but that isn't really the point.

As Dan said - does anyone actually take this seriously!? (Clearly they do - but what a bunch of morons)

It's like people who complain to the council/paper/tv etc about trivial matters. Get a fucking life. Like people complaining about Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand - clearly a lot of them didn't even hear the show, or at least didn't complain until it was all over the news. Get a fucking life.

And most of all - complaining about a punk band in Aberdeen who are having a laugh (it may be about a sick topic, but it's a joke, comedians get away with sick jokes all the time*), and have donated money to woman's charities etc etc. Get a fucking life.

*Prime example. Jimmy Carr's joke. What's worse than finding a worm in your apple? Being raped. I've seen all sorts of "respectable" members of society laughing out loud at that joke. It ain't funny being raped, and I'm sure Jimmy Carr doesn't think it's funny being raped. Jimmy Carr gets on TV and everything because people think he's funny.