aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Besides sub genres are for fans of the music anyway so that is not really a valid argument. I couldn't give a shit if it's europop or classic pop or whatever and I don't expect a non metal fan to care about the subgenres of metal. I still think they are a great idea for discovering similar bands to ones you already like.

FINISH HIM.

• Upvote 1

Fuck you.

Funeral for a friend were/are metal.

I'm not dissing sub genres. Just the stupid names they have. Djent? Djent? what the fuck does that even mean? Looks the first name of a 1930's gypsy pianist. Crazy.

This is why subgenres are ace.

Djent? Djent? I'll google what that means. Oh, music... I'll just youtube that band it says thereoohhhhh I like it.

Fuck you.

Funeral for a friend were/are metal.

I'm not dissing sub genres. Just the stupid names they have. Djent? Djent? what the fuck does that even mean? Looks the first name of a 1930's gypsy pianist. Crazy.

Go listen to Tales Don't Tell Themselves and tell me they are a metal band! it barely even gets into hard rock territory. They have had songs on their Ep's and first and fourth albums that could maybe be classed as verging on metal (like Broken Foundations from Welcome Home Armageddon - released last year, which will possibly alleviate any doubt they have gone soft) but Hours and especially Tales Don't Sell Themselves were not heavy at all.

This is the 'almost metal' song on the new album

this is the main single from Tales Don't Tell Themselves.

I hear no post-hardcore in Funeral for a Friend. They've gone a bit 'softer' these days, but some of the early stuff was full on metal riffing with double kick and screaming and whatnot. Post-hardcore should never involve a metal riff, or even a scream. Maybe an Ian Mackaye-like yell at the most. You can only scream if you're Guy Picciotto climbing through a basketball hoop and punching yourself in the head.

Post Hardcore must have been a term polluted many a year ago. When I started to get into heavy music about 10 years ago post hardcore was used to describe bands like Glassjaw, Poison The Well and Hopesfall which all featured screaming - and no metal riffs. It's probably just a term that changed as the meaning of hardcore shifted. The early hardcore was more like punk than todays hardcore which is more metal than punk. I think you should invent the genre neo post hardcore to describe anything with screaming ;)

This is why subgenres are ace.

Djent? Djent? I'll google what that means. Oh, music... I'll just youtube that band it says thereoohhhhh I like it.

Djent was an onomatopoeia to describe a certain guitar sound. It was not initially used to describe a genre. but lots of bands heavily incorporate it into their music and as such have become known as djent bands.

I find it funny people are getting so pissed over djent these days. To me it is already outdated and stale.... but I was listening to bands like Periphery 5 years ago when they were putting out demos. I literally probably have heard the same riffs being recycled 10 times in this short period. It is one of the things that will hopefully end up like metalcore. All the crappy imitators get forgotten about and a few bands doing something different and creative will outlive the rest which are pretty dull and sound almost the same.

"Angular" used to be used to describe bands that have alot of shifting time signatures. Now it seems to be some kind of buzz word that has no meaning. Like "Post hardcore"

Can I just clarify that I wasn't using in in that particular way, or referencing any prior music journalism. I was just saying their riffs/chord changes sound angular to me, as in not linear to a normal progression song, out of place. Weird for the sake of being a bit weird and edgy. I think that fits in well with what I was trying to put across.

Cyclists who don't stop to check it's safe to cross the street before blindly carrying on across the road.

Coming home from work I was just turning off the dual carridgeway near my house (the lights were green and weren't going to change any time soon), when a cyclist went flying right across the road in front of me (there is a cycle lane, but there is also a crossing) and had the nerve to wave at me as a thank you for stopping.

I have seen it happen before so was a little prepared for it to happen, but when your half way round a corner, and a cyclist comes flying past you and waves, it pisses you off. I didn't stop to let him past, I stopped so I wouldn't be done by the police for damaging my car with his inconsiderate body.

• Upvote 1

Guest Bob Knob
Cyclists who don't stop to check it's safe to cross the street before blindly carrying on across the road.

Coming home from work I was just turning off the dual carridgeway near my house (the lights were green and weren't going to change any time soon), when a cyclist went flying right across the road in front of me (there is a cycle lane, but there is also a crossing) and had the nerve to wave at me as a thank you for stopping.

I have seen it happen before so was a little prepared for it to happen, but when your half way round a corner, and a cyclist comes flying past you and waves, it pisses you off. I didn't stop to let him past, I stopped so I wouldn't be done by the police for damaging my car with his inconsiderate body.

D3dYx.jpg

• Upvote 1

The use of the word professional in terms like "young professional" or "professional couple".

I was reading a review of accommodation I was staying at recently and some cunt was bitching and moaning about the rudeness of the staff. She felt the need to point out that her and her travelling companion were both "young professionals", as if that would give weight to her opinion rather than just make her sound like a pretentious arsehole. Then I'm on the old FB tonight and my best friend from days gone by is advertising a flat for rent which would be ideal for a "professional couple". Honestly :moody:

• Upvote 3

Pet hate: t-shirts/tat that say "keep calm..." and then a wacky alternative to the traditional "carry on." They make me want to go on a killing spree.

This crap is everywhere, not just on t-shirts. I saw a fat bird with a ring binder the other day on which there was a sticker that read "keep calm and eat cake." Whore.

• Upvote 1

This crap is everywhere, not just on t-shirts. I saw a fat bird with a ring binder the other day on which there was a sticker that read "keep calm and eat cake." Whore.

Nothing like somebody with an overused meme as their title complaining about an overused meme on a ring binder. Pot kettle black etc. ;)

• Upvote 1

Nothing like somebody with an overused meme as their title complaining about an overused meme on a ring binder. Pot kettle black etc. ;)

Im not fat, though. I appreciate my argument is weak but it's all i have given the horrendous hangover im suffering today.