aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Fucking tabloids and their sensationalism. Why can't they just report the facts?

Here's a story which admittedly is pretty grim, but do we really need all the "vile", "sick" "monster" hyperbole? This is just one of the worst bits of journalism I've ever seen. Ever word is carefully chosen to make you think "I hate this sick bastard, this is disgusting, this is an outrage!" Just tell me the fucking story! I'll decide for myself what's sick and vile.

I've highlighted all the bits I feel are unneccesary hyperbole, or just speculation.

Peter Tobin's boast to prison shrink: I've killed 48 women - The Daily Record

Peter Tobin's boast to prison shrink: I've killed 48 women

Dec 3 2008 By Janice Burns

MONSTER Peter Tobin, caged for 30 years yesterday for the murder of Vicky Hamilton, has boasted of killing 48 women.

Police all over the UK have begun a massive operation to work out exactly how many victims the beast has claimed in 40 years.

And they fear that when their grim task is complete, Tobin will be exposed as the worst serial sex killer Britain has ever seen.

Psychopath Tobin snatched Vicky, 15, off the street in Bathgate, West Lothian in 1991. He raped and strangled her, cut her body in half and buried her in the garden of his new house in Margate, Kent, 400 miles from the murder scene.

He was caught after police found a dagger, stained with Vicky's DNA, in the loft of his former Bathgate home.

Tobin was already serving life for raping and murdering Polish student Angelika Kluk in 2006 and hiding her mutilated body in a church.

And he is due to be taken to England to stand trial for the murder of another young girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

But police believe they have only scratched the surface of 62-year-old Tobin's horrendous life of crime.

He bragged to a psychiatrist in jail that he had killed 48 times, then sneered: "Prove it."

A UK-wide probe, Operation Anagram, has been set up to identify all Tobin's victims. Every police force in the country is involved, and at least NINE of Tobin's former homes will be torn apart as cops search for bodies.

It's believed Glasgow cops will reexamine the Bible John murders of PATRICIA DOCKER, 25, MIMA McDONALD, 32, and HELEN PUTTOCK, 29, in 1968 and 1969.

Tobin was living in the city when Patricia and Mima died, and could have travelled back from his new home in Brighton to kill Helen.

The Strathclyde force are looking again at the murder of 16-year-old PAMELA HASTIE, who died in 1981 in Johnstone, Renfrewshire, where Tobin was born.

Like Vicky and Angelika, Pamela was raped and strangled.

Her mutilated body was found buried in undergrowth in a wood. Tobin fits the description of a suspect spotted near the scene.

A local man, Raymond Gilmour, spent 21 years in jail for Pamela's murder but was cleared last year.

Tobin was a drifter who lived all over the UK, and several police forces in England are looking into murders he may have committed.

It's believed Tobin is a suspect in the "Babes in the Wood" murders of school pals KAREN HADAWAY, 10, and NICOLA FELLOWS, nine, in Brighton, East Sussex, in 1986

The two girls were sexually assaulted and strangled. Tobin lived in Brighton for several years.

Police are also re-investigating the case of JESSIE EARL, 22, who vanished from a bedsit in Eastbourne, near Brighton, in 1980.

Jessie's remains were found nine years later near Beachy Head outside the town. Her bra had been used to bind her wrists.

Tobin's Brighton address gave him easy access to London, and he will be looked at as a possible suspect in the 1980 murder of 14-year-old schoolgirl PATSY MORRIS.

Patsy was strangled and dumped in undergrowth on Hounslow Heath in west London after vanishing from school at lunchtime.

Tobin will also be investigated over the mysterious disappearance of estate agent SUZY LAMPLUGH in Fulham, London, in 1986.

Suzy, 25, vanished after going to a house to meet a client who called himself Mr Kipper. No trace of her has ever been found.

Police also plan to probe the theory that Tobin used the motorway network to dump other victims.

The body of teacher BARBARA MAYO, 24, was discovered in woods near the M1 in Derbyshire in 1970.

And that same year, the remains of hitchhiker JACKIE ANSELL were found near the M6 in Cheshire. The 18-year-old had been raped and strangled.

Two of Britain's most notorious unsolved child murders, the cases of GENETTE TATE and JENNIFER CARDY, will also be re-examined as part of Operation Anagram.

Genette vanished on her paper round in Devon in 1978. Jennifer went missing in County Antrim in 1981.

Operation Anagram was launched after Tobin murdered Angelika Kluk. It was suspended during his trial for killing Vicky but work will now begin again in earnest.

Police believe control freak Tobin will get a sick thrill from trying to outfox detectives asthe mammoth investigation continues.

An insider said: "He won't give them any clues. He wants to have the police running around for the rest of his days.

"The police have to look at all the unsolved murders and missing persons because Tobin told a forensic psychiatrist that he killed 48 women.

"He calmly admitted it and then said 'prove it'. He left the police with nothing to go on."

Strathclyde Police, who are managing Operation Anagram, briefed 40 senior officers from 10 UK forces on developments in the inquiry last year.

The police believe that Tobin, like many serial killers, collected trophies from his victims. Sapphire rings, crucifixes, watches, bracelets and a St Christopher necklace were found in the loft of the Bathgate house where he stashed the knife he used to cut up Vicky's body.

The head of Lothian and Borders CID, Malcolm Graham, told the Record: "The finding of trophy items is common in such cases.

"Some of these pieces of jewellery could be key to solving other crimes."

Detectives believe that the searches of Tobin's other former homes will yield more possible pieces of evidence. One senior source said: "There are detectives around the country champing at the bit to get back into their cases.

"There are a number of addresses which are of interest. They will be very definite lines of inquiry.

"There are also a number of items to investigate - these are also potentially very positive lines of inquiry.

"Tobin is 62. He's had a long time to harm women. From what we know of him so far, he took every opportunity he could to satisfy the demons that drove him.

"There is every chance he will emerge as one of the nation's worst serial killers."

I reckon I have the most anal music filing system known to mankind.

Firstly, it fucks me off that when I go into a band's albums, it lists them alphabetically instead of chronologically. So what I do is, I put the year the album was released into the "Sort Album" field, followed by the album name. That way, their albums are all listed chronologically.

I reckon I could give you a run for your money on that score.

Plus points for you - listing chronologically. This is correct.

Negative points for you - having it all on an ipod/phone/thing/whatever and not on albums/tapes/cd's...

:D

I love the way you've got the entirely accurate Daily Record failure to grasp plain English included within your mock headline, Scott. Good work. Gold Star.

Please note, I have never written any sports articles for this paper*

*Please also note that this statement is lies.

Actually, one of my favourite things (wrong thread, but its topical so woteva) is when tabloids refer to someone as a 'sex beast' or a 'sex monster'.

I always picture them as some kind of dragon-headed, dildo-wielding animal with six-cocks and twelve muffters.

An old girlfriend of mine actually drew me a picture of a sex beast, so entertained by the concept was I

• Upvote 2

Actually, one of my favourite things (wrong thread, but its topical so woteva) is when tabloids refer to someone as a 'sex beast' or a 'sex monster'.

I always picture them as some kind of dragon-headed, dildo-wielding animal with six-cocks and twelve muffters.

An old girlfriend of mine actually drew me a picture of a sex beast, so entertained by the concept was I

Did it have two backs? Did it resemble this?:

IMG_0421.jpg

Folk who barge in about the 2nd hand CD section I am browsing when I have been methodically working along the alphabet and I have to wait for them to go away.

I hate it normally but today it felt like the Gimli lookalike was doing it on purpose as he kept going away and returning, he kept standing VERY close as well, felt like he was trying some strange record store intimidation technique. He did actually come back and pick up a CD eventually from one of the sections he had already looked through, so perhaps he has some weird shopping OCD where the CD can only be taken to the counter after several circuits of the shop....

The 2nd hand section is a strange place to be at the best of times. I was in on Monday, and some guy was clearly looking for something specific, he'd look through one stack of cd's, and let out a huge sigh when he got through them and didn't find what he was looking for. Towards the end of the letter he was browsing, he started swearing and flicking the cases more violently. On the last stack, he let out a rather loud "oh for fuck sake", turned around and sprinted up the stairs.

The 2nd hand section is a strange place to be at the best of times. I was in on Monday, and some guy was clearly looking for something specific, he'd look through one stack of cd's, and let out a huge sigh when he got through them and didn't find what he was looking for. Towards the end of the letter he was browsing, he started swearing and flicking the cases more violently. On the last stack, he let out a rather loud "oh for fuck sake", turned around and sprinted up the stairs.

Was he pretty short with a longish goatee and clumpy boots? Smelling a bit of alcohol? If so it's probably the same guy, he flicked through a pile quite aggressively then left them flicked forward. didn't hear him say anything but I had my music on quite loud...

It's quite possible you two are talking about each other.

It is possible, but it sounds like he also works through alphabetically, like I do. Patience of saints. Therefore, we'd never get in each others way, unless one of us worked backwards, like a bastard.

Going to the 2nd hand section looking for something specific always leads to disappointment.