aberdeen-music

Brewdog WINS!!

framheim

i sent an email to portman complaining about all this and got this reply:

"Dear Mr Officer

Thank you for your email. I am sorry that you disagree with the decision of the Independent Complaints Panel in respect of Speedball.

Our Code prevents companies from associating alcoholic drinks with illegal drugs for obvious reasons. The Independent Complaints Panel has ruled that naming a drink after a lethal drugs cocktail and promoting it as a Class A substance is irresponsible.

Our Code applies to drink producer marketing, not retailers. The price at which alcohol is sold is determined by retailers and outside the scope of our Code. We cannot make a special exemption under the Code for a small company that only produces ale. All alcohol is capable of being misused and therefore the Code must apply equally to all drinks, as well as to all producers, no matter how big or small they are.

If you have a complaint about alcohol advertising you should make that to the Advertising Standards Authority, the regulator of alcohol advertising: Advertising Standards Authority

If you have a complaint about any non-advertising drinks producer marketing, that should be addressed to us. You can read details of our complaints process on our website: Making a Complaint

Regards

Michael

Michael Thompson

Head of Communications and External Affairs

The Portman Group

7-10 Chandos Street, London, W1G 9DQ"

I like the part about price being set by retailers which is a load of shit. the producers recommend a price point and obviously help to set that by their wholesale prices.

bah.

• 2 months later...

Just opened up a bottle of trashy blonde to enjoy whilst watching the ICT v. St Midden game on BBC ALBA.

This stuff really is freakin' awesome! My favourite ale, narrowingly beating Black Isle Blonde.

*Holy Moly what a goal by Morais!! Best goal by an SPL team this year by my reckoning!

Just opened up a bottle of trashy blonde to enjoy whilst watching the ICT v. St Midden game on BBC ALBA.

This stuff really is freakin' awesome! My favourite ale, narrowingly beating Black Isle Blonde.

*Holy Moly what a goal by Morais!! Best goal by an SPL team this year by my reckoning!

you're forgetting mackie's miracle volley. that's understandable as we can't believe he actually scored a goal let alone one a peach like that.

you're forgetting mackie's miracle volley. that's understandable as we can't believe he actually scored a goal let alone one a peach like that.

Hmm... this one will still push it close I reckon!

Strangely enough Mackie was driving behind me the other day. Nothing exciting or interesting about that I know, but noteworthy none the less :up:

Hmm... this one will still push it close I reckon!

Strangely enough Mackie was driving behind me the other day. Nothing exciting or interesting about that I know, but noteworthy none the less :up:

did he manage to get past you? he sometimes has trouble with that.

• 1 month later...

I scored some freebies off them second-hand a while back. My brother in law is a fireman in Fraserburgh, he turned up to a fire alarm at their factory and they gave the firemen a few crates of beers to take home. He passed his on to me and my dad cos he doesn't drink beer. Interestingly, none of them had labels on them so I don't know what the fuck they were, but they were pretty darn good for the most part.

• 2 months later...

In the media again it seems:

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | North East/N Isles | UK's 'strongest beer' condemned

Anyone who criticises Brewdog for promoting binge drinking are fucking morons. How can they not compute in their thick skulls that the relation in price for one bottle of Tokyo (9.99) is about the same as a 20 pack of beer from a supermarket? There are more units in that crate than there is in one bottle of Tokyo.

Guest Gladstone

I saw in the paper or on the news a week or two ago that Brewdog were having some land dispute with Aberdeenshire Council. Can't remember what it was about.

It seems to me that a lot of people are trying to stand in their way, but good on them for doing so well thus far, and hopefully they can keep it going.

Think I'm right in saying it's two young lads who graduated with business degrees from RGU and just had the balls to go for it, and it seems to have paid off.

These morons that keep up the argument that they are encouraging binge drinking are unbelievably stupid. When I was too young to drink, and even as a young adult/student, there's no way on earth I'd have opted for Brewdog (had it existed). We always went for cheap deals on bottles/tins of beer, and spirits. There is now an unbelievable range of alcopops aimed directly at teenagers, and even without this or without Brewdog (who shouldn't even be in this argument), kids will continue to get pissed, and adults will continue to binge drink until our society changes (or they take ALL alcohol off the shelves - which won't happen, and shouldn't need to).

There is such a terrible culture in Scotland (and the UK) at the moment, and it's been getting gradually worse. People eat too much (and eat all the wrong foods), and get fat and unhealthy, people drink far too much alcohol, and get fat, unhealthy, liver disease etc, and smoke far too much cigarettes, and get unhealthy, heart disease, cancer etc.

People need to be educated better. I had a discussion with my mother in law the other week who is a retired home economics teacher, and she was talking about in "her day" when they got a decent amount of time to teach kids about healthy eating and cooking etc. It's been reduced to about an hour a week (if that), same for P.E.

The Government needs to wise up and realise that Maths and English are not the be all and end all of education. Kids need to be fit and healthy and taught about being fit and healthy - it's far more important in the grand scale of things. It's all well and good having people who know how to long divide, and write good stories, but if they're shacked up in hospital having suffered from a bastard stroke, unable to speak or use their right leg, it won't do them much fucking use.

/rant.

• Upvote 2

I saw in the paper or on the news a week or two ago that Brewdog were having some land dispute with Aberdeenshire Council. Can't remember what it was about.

It seems to me that a lot of people are trying to stand in their way, but good on them for doing so well thus far, and hopefully they can keep it going.

Think I'm right in saying it's two young lads who graduated with business degrees from RGU and just had the balls to go for it, and it seems to have paid off.

These morons that keep up the argument that they are encouraging binge drinking are unbelievably stupid. When I was too young to drink, and even as a young adult/student, there's no way on earth I'd have opted for Brewdog (had it existed). We always went for cheap deals on bottles/tins of beer, and spirits. There is now an unbelievable range of alcopops aimed directly at teenagers, and even without this or without Brewdog (who shouldn't even be in this argument), kids will continue to get pissed, and adults will continue to binge drink until our society changes (or they take ALL alcohol off the shelves - which won't happen, and shouldn't need to).

There is such a terrible culture in Scotland (and the UK) at the moment, and it's been getting gradually worse. People eat too much (and eat all the wrong foods), and get fat and unhealthy, people drink far too much alcohol, and get fat, unhealthy, liver disease etc, and smoke far too much cigarettes, and get unhealthy, heart disease, cancer etc.

People need to be educated better. I had a discussion with my mother in law the other week who is a retired home economics teacher, and she was talking about in "her day" when they got a decent amount of time to teach kids about healthy eating and cooking etc. It's been reduced to about an hour a week (if that), same for P.E.

The Government needs to wise up and realise that Maths and English are not the be all and end all of education. Kids need to be fit and healthy and taught about being fit and healthy - it's far more important in the grand scale of things. It's all well and good having people who know how to long divide, and write good stories, but if they're shacked up in hospital having suffered from a bastard stroke, unable to speak or use their right leg, it won't do them much fucking use.

/rant.

What about National Service?

I

/rant.

Your quote there, I was over in the Med for 3 weeks and I noticed that countries like Italy, Malta and so on don't have the same drinking culture as we do. If you go out for a drink over in Malta your not surrounded by boozed up neds looking for a fight. Its a lot more relaxed but civil atmosphere. I don't know if the legal drinking age is the same but 18 year olds sit with friends drinking wine and don't seem to get in the same mess as 18 year olds over here! No hurling in the street, fighting and everything else that you get on Belmont street on a Sat night.

Totally different culture

Guest Gladstone
What about National Service?

I seriously think it would be a good thing.

There's not enough discipline in society in many walks of life. My wife's a teacher, and the kids have zero respect for teachers these days and nor do the parents (she's a primary school teacher, with little kids who sometimes never do what they're told). Parents always stick up for the kids as well. When I was at school (I'm 27, so a while ago, but not like in the 50s or anything...), teachers were in charge, and if I got in trouble from a teacher, I then got in trouble from my parents.

I think this is where our shit-filled society starts to go wrong, from the top down (i.e. dickhead parents passing all their bad habits/ideas down to kids etc) and from the bottom up (from the moment kids are born, they seem to get what they want, when they want, don't have to answer to anyone, and aren't educated in enough "real" issues - it won't be long before kids are able to disect the human brain, but won't know how to tie their shoelaces or cross the road safely).

If the little bastards came out of school and straight into the military, they'd soon have the shit knocked out of them and they'd at least be fit and healthy by the time they left instead of fat and unhealthy. That would at least give people the chance to remain fit and healthy and instill a bit of discipline into them.

I actually wouldn't mind doing a bit of national service now, if I knew my current job would still be there at the end of it.

Your quote there, I was over in the Med for 3 weeks and I noticed that countries like Italy, Malta and so on don't have the same drinking culture as we do. If you go out for a drink over in Malta your not surrounded by boozed up neds looking for a fight. Its a lot more relaxed but civil atmosphere. I don't know if the legal drinking age is the same but 18 year olds sit with friends drinking wine and don't seem to get in the same mess as 18 year olds over here! No hurling in the street, fighting and everything else that you get on Belmont street on a Sat night.

No one really has the same drinking culture as the UK (especially Scotland). I remember reading an article pointing out that many mainland European countries consume more alcohol than the UK overall (with Luxembourg topping the list IIRC); the difference is they drink a-little-a-lot at meal times etc rather than downing it all at once on a Friday night.

Guest Gladstone

It certainly used to be younger. I think in Spain it used to be 14 to drink beer, and 16 to drink spirits, and in Germany it used to be 16. (Those were the two places I visited as a teenager).

I'm not even sure that makes much of a difference though either - there are plenty of folk my age and older (I'm 27) getting in a mess at the weekend and fighting in the street as well as 16/17/18 year olds. I've seen plenty of boozed up middle aged guys (and women) falling about the place, starting fights in the city centre as well.