aberdeen-music

Brewdog WINS!!

framheim

I mean it turns the act of drinking into a focal point. If you go out looking forward more to the drink than the conversation then you're either an alcoholic or have very boring friends.

Who said anything about looking forward to drinking more than seeing mates? What are you gibbering on about?

Does that mean if you go out to see a band with some mates and enjoy the band that there is something wrong with you? You must lead quite a dull life mate.

Wrong...Eisbock is a traditional Kulmbach specialty beer that is made by freeze distilling a doppelbock and removing the ice to concentrate the flavor and alcohol content. Alcohol content ranges from 9% to 31% by volume. It is deep copper to dark brown in color, often with ruby highlights. Head retention is frequently impaired by the higher alcohol content. It has a rich, sweet malty flavor, balanced by a significant alcohol presence. It has a clean, lager character with no hop flavor. Examples include Schneider Aventinus Eisbock, Kulmbacher Reichelbrau Eisbock, Eggenberg Urbock Dunkel Eisbock, Niagara Eisbock, and Southampton Eisbock.

The above Wikipedia quote does little to explain anything other than 'a strong beer was brewed somewhere else', of which no-one is disputing. I just suggested that few people find them palatable, which I think is corroborated in the fact that the most popular beers sit between 3 - 6%. I don't think anyone here goes to their local for an Eisbock very regularly.

I mean it turns the act of drinking into a focal point. If you go out looking forward more to the drink than the conversation then you're either an alcoholic or have very boring friends.

CAMRA Celebrates 100,000 Members - CAMRA 100000 all boring and alcoholics!How do you know peeps here wouldn't go for an Eisboch if it was readily available.The fact that strong beers are brewed and consumed all over the word speaks volumes.

CAMRA Celebrates 100,000 Members - CAMRA 100000 all boring and alcoholics!How do you know peeps here wouldn't go for an Eisboch if it was readily available.The fact that strong beers are brewed and consumed all over the word speaks volumes.

But doesn't a large part of the argument against Brewdog derive from the fact that their products are marketed towards youngsters? I'm not saying I care what other people do to themselves a great deal, just making the point that its entirely within the UK's current stance on the alcohol issue to reject strong alcohol, and the glamorisation of drinking. Drinking shouldn't be glamorous, surely? Isn't that what's got us into this mess? Why not make heroin cool too?

And I presume nobody else finds the idea of punks buying shares funny. I mean, that notion just goes whooshhh over the head. Thanks for the politics and the idealism - and Fuck the Queen - but seriously, when a beverage company floats, I'm there. How much do prospective investors know about the drinks industry? How long do gimmicky newcomers last? Does the company actually make money? Is it actually being sold in many places? Do regulations pose a threat to profits? Is there a question of ethics when it comes to investing in alcohol? Liking something is not necessarily sound reason to invest real money in it.

But doesn't a large part of the argument against Brewdog derive from the fact that their products are marketed towards youngsters?

that's a total fallacy put about by the likes of portman group. anyone can see that their target market is mid 20's upwards with an interest in ale. kids have no interest in real ale and no marketing campaign will change that.

brewdogs marketing and brand is youthful compared to any other real ale company but that doesn't mean it's directed at kids. you're obviously intelligent enough to know all this but are just sticking with the line to either stir shit up or because you just don't like brewdog.

just because you put question marks at the end of your sentences doesn't make them any less shit stirring, it just means you can claim devils advocate. did you read the share prospectus before posting that nonsense? nope, facts don't get in the way of a good days trolling. your point about punks buying shares is just scraping the barrel.

• Upvote 3

that's a total fallacy put about by the likes of portman group. anyone can see that their target market is mid 20's upwards with an interest in ale. kids have no interest in real ale and no marketing campaign will change that.

brewdogs marketing and brand is youthful compared to any other real ale company but that doesn't mean it's directed at kids. you're obviously intelligent enough to know all this but are just sticking with the line to either stir shit up or because you just don't like brewdog.

just because you put question marks at the end of your sentences doesn't make them any less shit stirring, it just means you can claim devils advocate. did you read the share prospectus before posting that nonsense? nope, facts don't get in the way of a good days trolling. your point about punks buying shares is just scraping the barrel.

22595197.jpg

:up:

Guest Gladstone

What daveofficer said.

Why people are having a right go at Brew Dog is beyond me, and this bollocks about targetting kids with their marketing, irresponsibly encouraging binge drinking is just that - bollocks.

What about all the cheap alcohol on the market, or things like wkd? Wkd is intentionally flavoured with fruity flavours etc to appeal to people who want to get pissed on something that tastes like fruit juice - i.e. kids.

They have adverts all over the TV that are admittedly quite funny, but the message is basically that Wkd is a bit naughty but harmless. I think that's far more likely to get across to cheeky teenagers and far more likely to appeal to them than Brew Dog's "aggressive marketing" which to be honest, I've never seen. The branding of the bottles is one thing, but there's no question that the beers are placed alongside other ales - the exact place that teenagers etc won't be looking. They'll be interested in the cheapest alcohol they can get their hands on.

Above, I said you could buy 24 tennants for 10. That's what I'd have done when I was a teenager - went thirds or quarters on a case of beer. Getting really pished for about 3. I wouldn't have been remotely interested in "strong" beers unless it was a special brew or something similar which is far far cheaper than Brew Dog's "stronger" beers.

KimyReizeger: The labels and names of the beer didn't attract me to brew dog. The first brew dog beers I had were straight from the brewery and didn't even have labels on them. I liked the taste so continued to buy them afterwards. Also, you can't compare Brewdog products to Super T and that kinda crap. That's like comparing a single malt whisky which costs 30 quid a bottle to tesco value stuff which costs about a tenner. Your pissheads and kids looking to get drunk will go for the cheap shit, not the expensive, finer product. They are not even close to being the same thing.

With regards to your comments about Tokyo in particular. Me and a few friends had a bottle each the other night to see how it tastes, the conclusion was good, but we would have been unable to drink more than one bottle. It's a very, very heavy stout which isn't easy to drink. So I doubt the youngsters whom you claim it is marketed towards would go back to it even if they did try it.

18% beer just reeks of publicity stunt, because no-one drinks it for any other reason than to get trashed and tell their mates about it.
Bull shit. Samichlaus, 14%, very popular among ale drinkers who actually drink it for the taste. They have one bottle, then leave/move on to a light ale. I know because I've sold it to plenty of folk that do exactly that.

In some respects Brew Dog is as much a fashion accessory as a drink, clearly targeted towards a certain group of people.For example, you guys have already tried to distance yourselves from teenages, those on low-incomes, binge-drinkers and old people like me with uncool views. This simply reflects the fact that you think your drink choice really says a lot about you.

Mid-20s? Have a bit of cash? Love music? take an interest in what you consume? a connoisseur of sorts?

Drink BrewDog!

And what the hell is wrong with me having a go at this company? Would you complain if I had a go at Starbucks? Just because I don't agree something is cool when it like totally is.

Bull shit. Samichlaus, 14%, very popular among ale drinkers who actually drink it for the taste. They have one bottle, then leave/move on to a light ale. I know because I've sold it to plenty of folk that do exactly that.

Yeah, I don't think all strong beer is objectively bad and regret suggesting otherwise. I like that Chimay Blue stuff in the Moorings. However:

18% beer is more likely to produce drunkenness than 4% beer.

18% beer could be called, I believe, on the basis of the above statement, 'less responsible' than 4% beer.

This is not to suggest that Tokyo is 'irresponsible'. Simply, that it is 'less responsible' (than average strength ale).

Brewdog's marketing technique also contributes something to the argument.

18% beer is more dangerous than 4% beer.

The producers of 18% beer are more irresponsible than the producers of 4% beer.

These statements would be true if the producers of the 18% beer were mass producing them and selling them in packs of 20/24 for 10.

As it is the producers of the 18% beer are producing a limited quantity for a bottle price of 10.

Please explain how that production and pricing policy is irresponsible.