aberdeen-music

Nfl

Nev

Ok I was only 50% right this week but in the next week I really don't see any of the AFCs winners this week getting a win. Texans will get handled by the Pats as they did before. Houston squeaked past a team that had 6 (yes SIX ) yards passing at the half last week. Ravens got the win at home as well but they are going up against a better defence in Denver, hostile crowd in the mile high stadium. Oh yeah and that Peyton Manning fellow.

NFC is much tougher to predict. 49ers vs Pack. I'm taking my guys.

As for the Hawks and the Falcons. I like the Seahawks.

An all NFC West NFC championship game. The joke division of the NFL is no more. It has two teams that look like they should be playoff teams for years to come. With 2 of the top 3 defences in the NFL IMO.

I fear as much, although I can't help but think Ryan may be the man. I mean, he could have easily bowed to the pressure, benched Sanchez and given Tebow a run but he showed he's fearless and wouldn't budge. Ok, it didn't pay off, like at all, but there is something admirable about the way he does things his way. Someone up in the echelons must have solid faith in him and its clear the players like him so who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if we (yes, I'm referring to the jets as 'we'... Deal with it) bring in some top talent on offense and if we can keep our defence intact (defence was never the problem AND we were missing our best players all season) we could do well. I'm staying optimistic anyway.

In other news, RGIII is croaked for 12 months. I guess that could have been predicted.

I'm pulling for Denver then Seattle in the playoffs now. My list of favored teams goes like this:

Jets

Redskins (most of my family are fans)

Colts

Denver

Seahawks

Lastly, the Ravens (any team with an Edgar Allen Poe reference in their name is alright by me)

Rey Ryan is a competent coach and has the courage of his convictions but in football, the ultimate responsibility for the performance of the team on the field lies with the HC, so I find it incredible that they'd get rid of everyone else around him but keep him! The chemistry between the players was great in his first season but it's been dire since and that seems to have been areal contributory factor to the collapse of the team. That's his job to stay on top of.

It really doesn't look like they have any good guy leaders in that locker room though. I mean they have leaders on defence but none that seem like that great guy that would help keep the team together as a whole. They lost that when LT retired after a couple of really good years with them when a lot of people thought he was done.

They need to identify and rectify that tho. Rather than blaming it for a lack of success. The Giants had some challenges with the relationship between players and staff about 5 years ago, so Tom Coughlin introduced a kind of players leadership council, where player reps met with him regularly. Those seemed to make a huge difference and then they went on to win two Super Bowls in 5 years. Its not as simple as 'intervene, win Super Bowl' but you can't use that as an excuse for Ryan's record as HC. It's a results business.

They need to identify and rectify that tho. Rather than blaming it for a lack of success. The Giants had some challenges with the relationship between players and staff about 5 years ago, so Tom Coughlin introduced a kind of players leadership council, where player reps met with him regularly. Those seemed to make a huge difference and then they went on to win two Super Bowls in 5 years. Its not as simple as 'intervene, win Super Bowl' but you can't use that as an excuse for Ryan's record as HC. It's a results business.

Oh I didn't mean it as an excuse by the Jets. I meant to add it as another failure of the HC/GM. You need to know who your leaders are before the season even begins. Rookies need to be guided and the team needs to band together if they are going to do well at all.

Most definitely. Look at the teams who have been up at the top for a length of time (even if not necessarily winning everything) - colts, ravens, pats, packers. Strong leadership, an empowered HC and key guys in the locker room who bring the team together and keep them focussed

Compare them to the teams who have had known troublemakers in their ranks - bengals, jets, cowboys. All have underperformed based on the talent at their disposal

Lets not forget that every team has the same opportunities to get the best players from college and wage caps ensure that teams can't run away with it by being rich, so the teams who struggle really need to look at their structure to understand why.

Two excellent games yesterday. I watched the first one in a 49ers bar - I didn't even know it was untill yesterday so was a nice surprise to walk into a great atmosphere. There was one guy in a Falcons shirt who was getting crazy amounts of abuse but he took it well. I didn't really mind who won that one but I was chuffed the Ravens won. Cant quite put my finger on why I don't like the Pats so much.

I'll be mostly spending my time between now and the 3rd of Feb constructing a snack stadium for my super bowl party. I think i'll go for a guacamole field, Cheesy poof crowd, weiner trusses on the exterior. I'm a bit gutted you don't get twiglets here... they'd be perfect trussing for the floodlights.

I'm aiming to get somewhere near this:

snack-stadium-590.jpg

Two excellent games yesterday. I watched the first one in a 49ers bar - I didn't even know it was untill yesterday so was a nice surprise to walk into a great atmosphere. There was one guy in a Falcons shirt who was getting crazy amounts of abuse but he took it well. I didn't really mind who won that one but I was chuffed the Ravens won. Cant quite put my finger on why I don't like the Pats so much.

I'll be mostly spending my time between now and the 3rd of Feb constructing a snack stadium for my super bowl party. I think i'll go for a guacamole field, Cheesy poof crowd, weiner trusses on the exterior. I'm a bit gutted you don't get twiglets here... they'd be perfect trussing for the floodlights.

I'm aiming to get somewhere near this:

snack-stadium-590.jpg

That is awesome......

• 2 weeks later...

This is how snack stadium turned out... http://instagram.com/p/VSSuRSppxY/

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Had about 20 people over to watch it but I had the sound waaayyyy up so the people concentrating on the game could follow it. I had absolutely no feelings one way or the other so i was glad it was such an entertaining game - would have been happy if SF won or Ravens to be honest.

• Upvote 1

Thought it was a really good game.  Niners did enough to lose it themselves up until the blackout.

Have to be honest though and say I think the refs blew two huge calls in the game.  The two point conversion Ed Reed looked like he jumped offside and the final 49ers 4th down it looked offside and their was a hold/PI on crabtree.  I think the refs got caught up in the American Ray Lewis story.  There were offsides often in that game but only the niners got called for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thoughts on this:

Breaking the NFL's gender barrier

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/21606400

good on her I say. Absolutely no qualms with women in any sport and I don't see why anyone would. It's not a gender thing at all -  if her ability is enough to get her into the NFL then i'm sure nobody would have any problems. When she's making 60 yard field goals and dodging onrushing special team units it'll become a proper news story, but for now its a puff piece.

Edit: the article basically says what I say.

Edited by ca_gere

• 2 weeks later...