aberdeen-music

Drummonds Closing?

sexytunk

fair enough. maybe that figure included the bar and other (door) staff as well. or maybe i just plucked it out of the ether. I definitely remember that that was a quote given to us though one time when we were looking to put a gig on there.

Anyway, I'll concede that point as i have no real info to back it up.

but best venue in aberdeen? I don't think so.

The best venue in terms of PA, treatment of bands, etc is Lemon Tree. LOVE playing there. After that moshulu is a good VENUE...if you can get the people through the door. and i also think Drummonds is a good venue.

The sound at Tunnels is usually butters UNLESS that sound girl is doing the sound. (I apologise I'm afraid I don't know her name) but she has the accoustics in that place nailed and gets a good sound. Any touring sound guys have a fucking nightmare getting a good sound in there. Its funny.

Hmmm i really like the tunnels sound (and thats without jenni doing it in ages) - theres only been one sound engineer who i really had a bad time with. Just didnt seem to like mixing bass into the mix, but when scott does it we get good sound. :)

Though everytime ive played moshulu i've had terrible sound...but horses for courses i guess.

Drummonds is okay...far to hot and stairs are evil with a bloody ampeg cab. Sounds alright i guess

+1 to the tree though. Nice place.

• Upvote 1

you havent been recently then have you?

waka waka

no dude! that's my bad. hasn't been a gig at tunnels that i wanted to go to (and knew about AT ALL) for ages.

Drummonds is okay...far to hot and stairs are evil with a bloody ampeg cab. Sounds alright i guess.

Load in at the front! ;-) then park the van round the back. FUCK loading in at the back! Having said that on monday i loaded out the backway. but that's besides the point.

Load in at the front! ;-) then park the van round the back. FUCK loading in at the back! Having said that on monday i loaded out the backway. but that's besides the point.

hehe that is loading in the front! Theres stairs on both sides! Also add to drunken folk trying to come down the stairs when you're climbing them =/

:swearing:

I have an adversion to drummonds due to it's wonderfuly high chlorine content in the air. Swimming pool/World War I trench images always float about when entering the place.

haha, yeah it's actually phosgene in the "dry ice" machine. Like being in Bhopal! lol

anyway, there's not THAT many stairs at the front you pussy! :-p

just get a bud to carry it down with you. :-)

haha, yeah it's actually phosgene in the "dry ice" machine. Like being in Bhopal! lol

anyway, there's not THAT many stairs at the front you pussy! :-p

just get a bud to carry it down with you. :-)

It's a hazer, not a dry-ice machine, there's a very big difference. Just be glad it's not a smoke machine.

Esko was the worst venue in town, and nearly managed the impossible, ie making Kia-Aura no fun. It was like dancing in East Berlin, but with doorman worse than the Stasi. Much money would be needed to make it acceptable. Drummonds will be missed by me, but mainly coz the Fox had our finest moments there.

you jokin?

went to see necrophagist there.....worst sound ever...

I've heard good and bad sound there. but i'd say every gig i've been to was good. (i.e not overly affected by bad sound)

I've heard awful sound in Tuts and The Cathouse. I probably prefer watching a band in Drummonds than Tuts or Cathouse.

really? Almost every time I have been to Tuts the sound has been great. But yes, Cathouse can be hit or miss (see above).

• 5 weeks later...

I guess that this myspace bulletin makes it all official that it'll become 'Tunnels mark 2'??

"As some of you live outside the Aberdeen area I would like to let you all know that Cafe Drummonds has been sold to Jim and Terry who own the Tunnels music venue they will take over on the 1st of october. They are not going to kill off drummonds and with the reintroduction of food and a new down stairs bar and decking area as well as a tidy up for the existing bar it will be a much improved Drummonds. I have enjoyed my 6.5 years here but need a wee change. I hope that you all give them the same support that you gave me.

While I am online I would like to say to the local bands and their followers that if you like playing in Drummonds or watching gigs in it, you can make a difference by coming in for a pint instead of going to some featureless theme bar that belongs to some brewery. These guys are putting up a lot of money to keep Drummonds as a live venue and your money will make a difference.

please pass this info/rant on ta eric"

Dunno, if everyone in Aberdeen will already be aware of this, but I'm in Glasgow now so only just really found out.