aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

The clean channel is great, and it has 2 channels within that 1 channel which is weird. Super clean and 'classic crunch'. The only annoying thing is you can't switch between the clean and the crunch on that channel via a footswitch. It has to be done by a little button on the front, and the Drive channel sounds worse than the crunch on the clean. It would be 1000% better amp if the second channel was the clean crunch. Low gain on the drive channel still sounds a little raspy and really lacks bite, though it sounds amazing on the clean crunch. Jim Marshall really didn't design his amp too well with the JCM2000s. Ridiculously complicated, and not very user friendly when it comes to tone-switching/ But if you just use the crunch plus a tubescreamer, it would probably sound great. Then again, if that's the case, you might as well get a JCM800.

Is that an I-river on top?

You talkin' to me?

Nah, it's a Tascam MP-BT1 bass trainer. Basically, an MP3 player which can change tempo/pitch of songs independently and EQ out bass for playing along, and can also serve as a headphone amp. Quite a nifty bit of kit, probably the most useful musical thing I own beyond the necessary tools for the job.

A DSL could probably do that if you got a mod on the drive channel so it sounds a bit warmer. With the mod I got, it made the drive sound like the crunch. Cost me around £100. Dunno if anyone round these parts does amp mods though.

You can have a bash on my Egnater when I get it if you like. The Renegade isn't too similar to the Rebel or Tweaker. The clean is mega clean, and the drive channel goes from crunch to screaming leads.

I've just ordered a lefty body for my Strat from these guys:

http://mjtagedfinishes.com/cart/index.php

I've seen their work first hand and it's pretty nice. Excited about it. Going for a vintage-finished surf green. Not sure about pickguard yet, either going to keep my black one or go for brown tortoiseshell. Just got to wait 4-8 weeks now!

• Upvote 2

I've just ordered a lefty body for my Strat from these guys:

http://mjtagedfinishes.com/cart/index.php

I've seen their work first hand and it's pretty nice. Excited about it. Going for a vintage-finished surf green. Not sure about pickguard yet, either going to keep my black one or go for brown tortoiseshell. Just got to wait 4-8 weeks now!

Nice! What level of wear did you go for?

540358_10151455350120440_710885439_23636318_1417276904_n.jpg

Gave it blast this evening down at MV. Chuffed with it. It's loud as shit. I had it on the 18w setting, and it was still making the room shake at only 1 quarter of the volume it is capable of at that power. Didn't even bother stretching it to 65w. It's a wonderful amp. Not too far away from the DSL50 I used to have, but without the fizz and transparent low end. Loads of presence. No ear shattering treble. Channel 1 goes from sparkly clean to AC/DC crunch, and channel 2 does everything beyond. Mental amounts of gain that I'll probably never use, but it's good to know it's there. It has a volume boost on the footswitch to give you MORE, for those times when LOUD just isn't enough. Chaos.

The FX loop is pretty neat. You can set it to just be on one channel, or both. So you can have your jangly cleans with a bit of chorus and whatnot, then you can step on the channel switch and go to your ROCK tone and leave the chorus and shit behind. Same goes for the built-in reverb. Verby cleans, dry distortion, or vice versa. Or both.

Best thing I've ever put myself in credit card debt for.

• Upvote 3

Phwoar. How much did that cost you? Have you given it a slog yet?

It was £350. I tried it at R&B using my own head, so I was chuffed they let me do that. I compared it to a 1x12 and the difference was pretty obvious when I ran some distortion through it. The 2x12 just had so much more clarity and bottom end.

Blah blah blah tiny bass amp that kicks disproportionate amounts of ass blah blah blah

As a follow up to this - I used the head with my Zoot 4x10 last night at a gig in Slains and it performed beautifully. Amp heads that fit in a laptop bag are a good thing in my book. If you can't afford a Mark Bass or a Genz Benz then this is certainly worth investigating. I think they sell the heads separately too for next to hee haw, but considering how well the combo did at band practice you'd be a fool not to take the complete package.

As a follow up to this - I used the head with my Zoot 4x10 last night at a gig in Slains and it performed beautifully. Amp heads that fit in a laptop bag are a good thing in my book. If you can't afford a Mark Bass or a Genz Benz then this is certainly worth investigating. I think they sell the heads separately too for next to hee haw, but considering how well the combo did at band practice you'd be a fool not to take the complete package.

What's the make/model number of that thing?

What's the make/model number of that thing?

It's the snappily named RedSub BT5110 - http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RedSub-BT5110-500W-Bass-Amp/C61

The head can be bought separately as the RedSub BT500H - http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RedSub-BT500H-500W-Bass-Head/B1D

There's a typo in the specs of the head though, so don't get excited because I don't think you're going to get 500W at 8Ω.

Are Orange amps really all they're cracked up to be? I've always fancied one because they look cool as fuck but balked at the price.

Mostly, yes. Except their ventures into Solid State territory. The 'Crush' range is pretty bollocks for anything other than bedroom stuff, but their all-valve stuff seems to be mostly very good, though there's a couple of newer models which are cheaper and are made with cheap Chinese parts, though they still get good reviews. They're not that expensive in terms of top end valve amps. You could be paying alot more in something like a Mesa, for example.

I tend to buy guitars for superficial reasons sometimes, but I don't think I'd ever do it with an amp. No point spending a few hundred quid on an Orange Crush combo because it looks neat and is half the price of a valve Orange, because it will sound toilet.

• Upvote 1