aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

It's pretty good. I've yet to take it to practice and I have some concerns about the volume of it. I think the tremolo sometimes 'sticks' in the quiet part sometimes, other than that its awesome. It sounds like a Vox and pairs pretty well with fuzz and delay, which is the two main effects I use. Overall chuffed to bits with it and it was a total steal at 70 bucks.

This dude here, Hello Sailor Effects, same dude did both pedals, I stumbled over it by mistake in E Bay, just searching for "fuzz", there are wax capacitors from the 40s in the fuzz, as it said in his advert blurb, it only has an output level knob, it gets fuzzier the hotter the signal you send it, I've not done any fuzz demos as such, but it is all over the most recent stuff I've done (linky in sig). The fuzz was going for £39, that's what i paid for it, I ended up getting Gun Face for £20 + £20 p&p (solid brass), his original sale fell through, so got offered a bargain. Even though I have accidentally fried the boost circuit Gun Face is a v classy mild distortion, fed into the fuzz, it is quite thick and wild and capable of flutey infinite sustain AND stage style feedback at home levels. They are fucking ace, and the dude is in the middle of making me an Oscillator Fuzz type thing,( Mondragon's Trichometric F*U*Z*Z*, ahem), in a blue housing with orange LED, will post pics when I get it. He seems happy to take orders via FB, honestly can't recommend enough, if some famous dude used his stuff he could charge silly money. He is in the Navy, and does it p/t so might take a wee while, but worth it.

Acquired this recently:

20120306.jpg

This bass amp is a rear ported 1x10 plus tweeter. In the combo it's 250W. Also you can remove the head and it can give 500W into a 4 ohm cab. It is basically a copy of the Ibanez Promethean. I originally got it thinking it would be useful for quieter acoustic gigs. I took it to band practice not expecting much. Imagine my surprise when it was more than capable of keeping up with the band (drums, keys, sax, guitar and vocals). I'm very impressed. I've seen bigger practice amps. I'm looking forward to trying the head into my Zoot 4x10. Installation test at practice this week. I'm also toying with the idea of building myself a wee 1x10 to stick underneath it. No, you can't change the laws of physics, but you can sure as hell bend them ;)

Get it modded, if you do get one. The top end on the overdrive is really harsh, even when you dial back on the treble and max the bass. There's a digital low end boost button, but it sounds so fake, and makes the cab cones go all flappy. There's a few different mods for it. The one I got for mine took away the harshness on the drive channel, which gave it alot more of a warm presence. I got the amp incredibly cheap. I really wouldn't pay full price for one these days, or even the second hand going rate, unless it had been modified to take away the brutal fizz.