aberdeen-music

Euro 2008

french_disko

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I had Russia to win 2-0 and Kalashnikov to score.

But tomorrow the Czechs to win 3-0!

edit: TODAY! I can't wait. Jankulovski is going to be so charming today, I just know it. And Grygera is like Helen of Troy. :love:

I love Zdenek! He's so wonderfully sensible/boring. In position; win ball; simple ball up line. What's Czech for "nae nonsense"?

I love Zdenek! He's so wonderfully sensible/boring. In position; win ball; simple ball up line.

Yeah! But he's great... And he totally loves that role. In the 2006 team lineup thing from the Czech paper, they were all characterised by a phrase, and his was "calm water" and then I saw an interview on youtube where they asked him to describe himself in three adjectives and he said, "uh... well, calm... really focussed on football/into doing whatever is needed for the game... and.. that's it." He's so cute though :D And he tends to grin like a little goon when everyone else looks solemn.

*Ha, the Czech for "calm water" was "tich voda"... guess normally they would say something like vžn (serious). Or, he plays without nonsense, Hraje bez nesmyslu.

Speaking of Euro 2008, Howard Webb is pretty much a hate figure in Poland - President Kaczyński has been calling him all sorts of names, and Prime Minister Tusk has been wading in with alleged comments about wanting to shoot him. The entire country seems to be fixated on how much hate they can deliver...

Seemingly no-one in Poland can accept that it was a blatant penalty, and that their goal was a mile and a half offside.

Speaking of Euro 2008, Howard Webb is pretty much a hate figure in Poland - President Kaczyński has been calling him all sorts of names, and Prime Minister Tusk has been wading in with alleged comments about wanting to shoot him. The entire country seems to be fixated on how much hate they can deliver...

QUOTE]

And yet, it was a correct decision. Remember when Dingland went out of Euro 04 to Portugal? Sol Campbell had an extra-time 'goal' chalked off (and correctly so, John Terry nearly strangled the keeper by headlocking him outta Campbell's way), and the English public went apopleptic? Every defeated country needs a scapegoat, and it's normally the ref. If they need a scapegoat, why not target the idiotic defender who manhandled his opponent in the penalty area? Even if the decision is correct, that rarely matters to the general public. Howard Webb got it spot on, and yet is receiving death threats for doing his job correctly. Absurd.

Love from Christy

Looking at Villa and Torres together in this tournament, surely Liverpool are going to try and buy Villa. Imagine them two playing together in the Premiership.

They have been brilliant together, but I can see Benitez sticking with 4-5-1 and playing Gerrard off Torres. Liverpool I doubt could afford him, since most of their transfer cash is going on buying Gareth sodding Barry.

Aye, you'll be getting a proper doing there. :D

To be honest there will be wholesale changes in the team by then, what with several players retiring from international football; with many more like Nistelrooy possibly joining them if Netherlands win 2008 Euros. There will also be an entirely new management team that won't have any time to prepare appropriately.

I have every confidence that we'll take points off them :D

Yeah this game has been rubbish.

Totally, such an uncharismatic and generally woeful display of footballing apathy from a team who's performances have usually excited me no end. A draw would have been much more realistic a result.

We will get absolutely cunted by Portugal if they continue to play like that. They lack the depth and drive to stop Portugal from running riot against them. I predict a 3-0 win for Portugal on the strength of that performance. I honestly can't see anything that will turn the team around. There's no leadership, no charisma, no flair. Even the tight, near militaristic, well drilled defence is looking dog tired.

Germany have been like a toothless hound throughout this tournament. Hopefully someone will put us out of our misery and we can look towards qualifying for the next World Cup.

According to the EURO 2008 website, Marius Niculae starts tonight against the Netherlands o_O

This is going to be bloody weird watching a Caley player playing alongside Adrian Mutu! Just hope he's playing as a striker and not on the left midfield...

I'm nervous, better open a beer or 5 :popcorn: