aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Pirates of The Caribbean 3 - 2 hours 40 minutes, what a bloated mess. This film could be an hour shorter and it would actually be a better film. It's seriously over-complicated as well. I had no idea what was going on for most of it. Worth a look for the amazing visuals but there are few other positives. Even the Keith Richards cameo is underwhelming. 

Edited by Lemonade

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/02/2016 at 9:58 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Deadpool 

The best film I've ever seen, and I've seen over 30 films.

A thousand out of a thousand.

This is what I thought too. I'm not a comic book guy and I dont get fanboy-y over superheroes but I'm seriously considering making this the first ever film I go and see in the cinema twice. 

Daddy's Home

Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg's popcorn comedy flick. Ferrell is the squeaky clean super nice step dad, but the musclebound badass Marky Mark returns home, and tried to oust Ferrell out of the picture by being super nice, slightly ingenuously. Two nice guys try to out-nice each other. Then they realise that they actually kind of like each other. Then it sort of ends, I think. As middle of the road as it gets. It was so mediocre that I don't even know if I liked it or not. Good Bill Burr cameo at the end. The best bit of the film. The only memorable bit. Will Ferrell doesn't even shout once. What is the point?

2 hours ago, Lemonade said:

This is what I thought too. I'm not a comic book guy and I dont get fanboy-y over superheroes but I'm seriously considering making this the first ever film I go and see in the cinema twice. 

Literally the only thing I thought could have been done better in Deadpool  -  the ONLY thing -  is that when they were walking in to the big battle at the end in slow mo Superhero formation the music being played was DMX "X Gon' Give It To Ya" . And I thought a cool rock song would have worked better. 

Spotlight - slow but good, mad cringy award shortlist speech/shout from Mark Ruffalo near the end.

Concussion - slow but ok, so many close up award shortlist speeches from Will Smith. It's basically a whole film of Will Smith being wise and caring in a dodgy Nigerian accent.

Deadpool - awesome, zero award grabbing speeches and unicorn sex.

13 Hours - Jim from the Office and Nick Sobotka from the Wire as dead hard special forces soldiers - pretty good actually.  

Saw Deadpool last night. It wasn't half as funny as it thought it was but still one of the better comic book movies. It was all a bit smug and the action scenes were nothing new. I can see how its appeal is broad, but wasn't blown away.

The crowd were laughing at EVERYTHING, which was annoying. I felt like I was missing out on some kind of in-joke but nope... They were just laughing at every single thing said in the movie.

1 hour ago, ca_gere said:

Saw Deadpool last night. It wasn't half as funny as it thought it was but still one of the better comic book movies. It was all a bit smug and the action scenes were nothing new. I can see how its appeal is broad, but wasn't blown away.

The crowd were laughing at EVERYTHING, which was annoying. I felt like I was missing out on some kind of in-joke but nope... They were just laughing at every single thing said in the movie.

Some people at my screening on Sunday clapped at the end.

52 minutes ago, Spoonie said:

How has Deadpool become such a big deal? This was not a mainstream super hero as far as they go, so how has there been so much hype and anticipation?

I didn't know the first thing about Deadpool going in, only that he was in one of the Marvel X-Box games and he wore a red suit and had guns. It was the marketing that got me through the door. It's been brilliantly marketed. (Also my wife wanted to see it).

Things like this told me it was not a normal action-packed boring overblown epic superhero movie. It's funny, I used to love superhero movies but they've come to represent everything I hate about modern movies: over-reliance on CGI, long action sequences and less dialogue so it's more marketable to foreign audiences, spending 2 hours and 10 quid on a film that's little more than a set up to a franchise. And fucking 3D. 

b4w8wlx.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ryan Reynolds is a massive fan. Him and some others have been collectively working to get this film on the go for over a decade. Deadpool is in X-Men Origins: Wolverine as he get his "powers" from the same place where they made the titular Wolverine. Ryan Reynolds played him back then too and that appearance almost killed their chances of a Deadpool movie because his appearance was nothing like what it should have been. They even had some shit about his mouth being sewn shut that they thought was a wink to Deadpool fans and the 4th wall but everyone took as a spit in the face.

this film seems to be the fruits of years of hard work, hoping, and learning from terrible terrible mouth sewn laser eyes mistakes.

Edited by Jaaakkkeee