aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Saw Suicide Squad, I feel like I wanted it to be better than it was.
Major Spoilers:

This isn't the ensemble piece it's advertised as. It's definitely a Deadshot/Harley movie. 

Will Smith was decent. Didn't feel enough of the Deadshot character coming through. Unless Deadshot is basically like Will Smith in the comics, then Will Smith did a great job as acting as Will Smith. Margot Robbie was a really decent Harley Quinn. Her biggest jokes were spoiled in the trailers, and they weren't that funny anyway, but I feel she nailed a lot of nuances and apart from the "hey look this is a joke that should get laughs" moments, she was great. Rest of the performances were forgettable. The main army dude was just a dick for the sake of being a dick, and Deadshot's weird loyalty to him didn't sit right for me. Jared Leto was amazing as The Joker. Really loved this version, given enough screen time I'd say it surpasses the bench mark made by The Dark Knight. But for how much hype there was in the trailers and on the news about dead rats and used condoms as part of him staying in character like Danny D Lewis, he just wasn't in the film enough. He had probably the same, if not less, screen time than Ben Affleck. The hole plot was kind of, what's the point? Government lady wants to make a secret task force to take on any 'meta-humans' in the case of someone as powerful as superman but evil showing up. She controls them using an ancient evil witch, who gets loose, and becomes the big bad of the movie. So basically, if she didn't want to make a task force, she wouldn't have needed one. Whole thing felt like it lacked consequence and was really a set up for the next few movies from DC. Plus, there's only so much suspended belief i can muster, we all know (BM V SM spoiler) superman isn't really dead. He can't be, there's Justice League to come out soon. But they need the "Suicide Squad" because they don't have Superman. 
One great twist that they could have made better was the mission to rescue a VIP. Turns out the VIP is the government woman who created the team. So everyone is pretty pissed. Also the army that accompanies the Suicide Squad is in the dark about the mission. With the fact that the big bad is created by the government, armies being sent in blind, and using less than moral methods to fix their mistake, this film could have been a really great look at current wars and what governments have been doing in secret. But that would have been a bit too serious for what is essentially DC's answer to Deadpool.

The soundtrack, is full of great songs, but they aren't utilised well. Would have done better with a composer filling in most the gaps, a lot of moments just didn't feel right 'cause it had this song blasting. First half hour is intros and has a new song at almost every character.

All in all, it was good, but not as good as it could have been. I feel a slightly different cut/edit would have made the difference. This is the only DC film from this run that took my fancy, but it was hyped up too much, and made for a bigger disappointment than it should have been. No Martha's though. So there's that saving grace.

Edited by Jaaakkkeee

Suicide Squad. Partly copy pasting my Facebook comment because I'm lazy. 

For what I was expecting it wasn't that good.  For what it actually was, it was good. If I may explain. I was expecting another Deadpool, full of cracking one-liners, adult references, all very meta and self referential and loltastic. But it wasn't that at all. What it was was a superhero film, and a good one at that. But apart from a few lines, it's not that much funnier than an average superhero movie. Harley Quinn and Deadshot (Will Smith) stood head and shoulders above the rest. Leto Joker wasn't in it enough but whet my appetite for more of him.  7/10

Edited by Lemonade

• 2 weeks later...

Nerve - thriller in which teenagers take part in an secretive online game called Nerve, competing for cash and fame by filming themselves completing challenges set by the people paying to watch. As the cash prizes go up, the challenges get more and more dangerous.... Super stylish film, all based around technology with IMs and video calls swooshing around the screen, but manages not to be horribly cheesy like most films about the Internet.  A few really tense scenes and just enough twists and turns.  A really fun film, I actually came out of the cinema grinning. Although the subtext about hiding behind online anonymity and mob mentality is a bit heavy handed toward the end. See this soon because like most films based on technology it will age horribly. 8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Bad Moms - Mila Kunis stars in this comedy about a working mum who gets sick of trying to compete with the perfect mums at her kids school and decides along with two of her friends to become bad mothers, spending most of their time partying and being irresponsible. It's funny throughout, very crude humour,  but you're always waiting for the big laugh that never quite comes and it gets a bit too sentimental toward the end. Also it's so formulaic. It's every romcom ever but with loads of vagina jokes. 6/10

David Brent: Life On The Road - very similar humour to the office, naturally, very awkward and cringey. Brent is as deluded as ever and it's got a lot of very funny moments. It suffers a little from making Brent too much of a dick, it's difficult to feel much sympathy for him when you spend the whole film laughing at him.  At least in the Office you had Tim and Dawn to root for for the feels. The characters you're supposed to like don't get much screen time, Doc Brown's aspiring rapper character is the pick of them. It does all tie up nicely,  though it never really explains why his band all go from hating him to suddenly liking him. 7/10

Dog Day Afternoon

It felt like it lasted an afternoon. Al Pacino and some other guy make a botch job of robbing a bank. The first hour or so is good. Then it really seems padded out. Pacino is great throughout, as he always is. It just drags a bit. And you see the ending coming a mile away.

Bit of a let down down to watch an Al Pacino film where only one person gets killed. Bit of a spoiler there, but it's like 40 years old.

Top Gun: A rare chance to see one of my favourite childhood movies on the big screen. This is a film that was really made for the cinema, amazing cinematography, all the footage of the planes whooshing around, the landscape shots, the heat haze, the lens filters, and the engine noises on the cinema surround sound system was a real assault on the senses, really immersive. It's the biggest exercise in machismo dick-swinging ever, and it was kind of cringey, I was watching it with my wife who had never seen it and I was raving about it all day, and I'd forgotten all of Maverick's cheeseball lines and the awful "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" scene. Still, what a great experience to see it in the cinema. Even felt a tiny lump in throat when, you know, that sad bit happens, even though I've seen this film a hundred times. 7/10

A Date For Mad Mary: This is a low-budget Irish comedy-drama, not sure if it's coming out in the UK? It's about a young girl who gets released from prison and struggles to cope when she finds that everyone has moved on with their lives and left her behind. The subplot is that she needs to find a date for her best friends wedding, which makes it sound like a romantic comedy, which it isn't, but it is very funny in places. Quite dark humour throughout, all delivered in thick north Dublin accents which is just a naturally funny accent (think Colm Meaney in The Commitments or in any of the Roddy Doyle Barrytown trilogy). Although the film is set in Drogheda so that doesn't quite add up. If you get the chance to catch this it's worth it. 8/10

8 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

Top Gun: A rare chance to see one of my favourite childhood movies on the big screen. This is a film that was really made for the cinema, amazing cinematography, all the footage of the planes whooshing around, the landscape shots, the heat haze, the lens filters, and the engine noises on the cinema surround sound system was a real assault on the senses, really immersive. It's the biggest exercise in machismo dick-swinging ever, and it was kind of cringey, I was watching it with my wife who had never seen it and I was raving about it all day, and I'd forgotten all of Maverick's cheeseball lines and the awful "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" scene. Still, what a great experience to see it in the cinema. Even felt a tiny lump in throat when, you know, that sad bit happens, even though I've seen this film a hundred times. 7/10

I'm glad Goose died, fuck him.

• Upvote 1

The Young Offenders - Very funny Irish comedy that's part crime caper, part road movie. Two dim-witted teenage chavs in Cork fantasise about the lives they could live if they were millionaires. When one of them sees a news report of millions of Euros worth of cocaine washing up on a remote bay they steal bicycles and cycle across the south coast of Ireland in the hope of finding some of it. They get mixed up with a dangerous drug dealer, a local nutjob and a overzealous copper, and much wackiness ensues. It really is very funny, a tiny bit mawkish in places but the humour makes up for it.  Really good fun movie. 8/10. Cork accents are weird though.

14 hours ago, Lemonade said:

The Young Offenders - Very funny Irish comedy that's part crime caper, part road movie. Two dim-witted teenage chavs in Cork fantasise about the lives they could live if they were millionaires. When one of them sees a news report of millions of Euros worth of cocaine washing up on a remote bay they steal bicycles and cycle across the south coast of Ireland in the hope of finding some of it. They get mixed up with a dangerous drug dealer, a local nutjob and a overzealous copper, and much wackiness ensues. It really is very funny, a tiny bit mawkish in places but the humour makes up for it.  Really good fun movie. 8/10. Cork accents are weird though.

Is this or the other Polish film you mentioned still on at the cinema or is it on DVD? Had a quick google of the other one and couldnt see a uk release date or dvd :(

25 minutes ago, Gypsum_Fantastic said:

Is this or the other Polish film you mentioned still on at the cinema or is it on DVD? Had a quick google of the other one and couldnt see a uk release date or dvd :(

Both just newly out in the cinema here so probably be a while for DVD.  If you want a good Polish film check out The Guard with Brendan Gleeson. Superb film. It's about an unconventional cop in a sleepy town in a really remote part of Ireland who stumbles across an international drug smuggling operation. Don Cheadle is a tough FBI agent who is assigned to come to Ireland and help crack the case, has to deal with Gleeson's vulgarity (including a love for prostitutes) and cope with life in rural Ireland. It's essentially a buddy cop / odd couple type movie, like if Lethal Weapon was set in a field in Co Clare and surrounded by sheep. 

Edited by Lemonade
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lemonade said:

Both just newly out in the cinema here so probably be a while for DVD.  If you want a good Polish film check out The Guard with Brendan Gleeson. Superb film. It's about an unconventional cop in a sleepy town in a really remote part of Ireland who stumbles across an international drug smuggling operation. Don Cheadle is a tough FBI agent who is assigned to come to Ireland and help crack the case, has to deal with Gleeson's vulgarity (including a love for prostitutes) and cope with life in rural Ireland. It's essentially a buddy cop / odd couple type movie, like if Lethal Weapon was set in a field in Co Clare and surrounded by sheep. 

Aye seen that and the other McDonagh brother films and a play, big fan;.

Sausage Party - cutesy cartoon foodstuffs living in a supermarket say fuck and cunt and smoke weed and think about sex, and that's funny for the first ten minutes, and you're like OK, strong start, what next? And the answer is nothing. That's the only joke in the whole film. Nothing particularly funny happens and the plot is meandering garbage. Pretty sure Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Jonah Hill wrote this over one weekend when they were all really baked. The baddie is literally a douche. Hilarious. Maybe I'm just getting old but I expect more from my comedies these days than just a bunch of swearing. That big ending scene will stay with me for a long time tho. 3/10 

22 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

Sausage Party - cutesy cartoon foodstuffs living in a supermarket say fuck and cunt and smoke weed and think about sex, and that's funny for the first ten minutes, and you're like OK, strong start, what next? And the answer is nothing. That's the only joke in the whole film. Nothing particularly funny happens and the plot is meandering garbage. Pretty sure Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Jonah Hill wrote this over one weekend when they were all really baked. The baddie is literally a douche. Hilarious. Maybe I'm just getting old but I expect more from my comedies these days than just a bunch of swearing. That big ending scene will stay with me for a long time tho. 3/10 

Apparently they treated the animators like shit. Like, sweatshop animation. 

Fargo - Watched it 'cause I feel like I needed to catch up on my 90s stuff 'cause I like MBV and emo-revival and I wanted to feel like a true hipster. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Was a little slow paced to begin with then everything happens it's some great black comedy capers. Was walking around going "oh yaaaah" for a good couple of hours after it though. Made me want to watch The Big Lebowski 'cause i read a theory that they're about the same thing but different view points. Like opposites that make the same point so to speak. One thing the theory pointed out is that Steve Buscemi won't shut up in Fargo, and constantly gets told to shut up in TBL. the internet is a wonderful place.

Edited by Jaaakkkeee