aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ronaldo

I don't know why I watched this. It was on Netflix. I thought there'd be some good football highlights from swanky cinematic angles, like that Zidane film, or maybe some interviews with interesting people regarding Ronaldo.

It had very little of all those things. It was basically Ronaldo playing with his kid, Ronaldo on the phone to his kid and his mum when away playing football, and Ronaldo using his own name as a barometer of elite quality when describing other things. For example, Jorge Mendes is "The Cristiano Ronaldo of football agents", and the Portugal national team needs "two or three more Cristiano Ronaldos". His own words.

Recommended for those who are fans of self-indulgent bell-ends, and those who like to watch documentaries where by the end of it, you have learned nothing new. Not one thing. Because you don't. Ronaldo is a guy who is good at football and has a family. You knew that. At the most, you learn that he has 10 cars, but you could probably assume he had about that many anyway, given his profession.

Do you have an hour and a half that you consider to be so disposable that you would watch this? You shouldn't. I regret it. Don't be like me.

• Upvote 2

Watched The Big Short at the weekend. I'm a big fan of the book and I really enjoyed the film but I still think the book was able to add some detail, context and side-stories that really added to the punch. Nevertheless, an entertaining, if depressing watch.

20 hours ago, Spoonie said:

Watched The Big Short at the weekend. I'm a big fan of the book and I really enjoyed the film but I still think the book was able to add some detail, context and side-stories that really added to the punch. Nevertheless, an entertaining, if depressing watch.

Carell and Bale are magnificent. I didn't really think it was a filmable book, but it was a really good effort at explaining what actually happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Hall Pass - Owen Wilson and Jason Sudekis play two middle aged married men whos wives give them a 'hall pass', a week off from marriage to do whatever they want. They expect to spend a week being top shaggers but it doesn't go as planned. It's a Farrelly Brothers film so you know what you're getting, plenty of laughs, a couple of gross moments, and it was nice to see Pam from The Office in something, although her and Christina Applegate pretty much played stock shrewish wife #1 and #2.

4/5. Would watch again. 

The Warriors - One of those "great" films you tell everyone to watch because it's so great. Then turns out to be horribly dated when you watch it with them and you feel horrible self loathing and embarrassment for bigging it up so much. The re-release with the comic strips and director intro helps explain the campiness of the whole affair. But seriously, scariest gang is the baseball furies and they go down after one punch each. Also, i kept getting the feeling the warriors were supposed to be late teens or something but actors all look about 40. 'Bop'. 'Lizzies'. 'Rembrandt'. I couldn't dig it. I didn't count.

5/5 for nostalgia. maybe a 3/5 for the film. just made me want to play the far superior ps2 game.

That's My Boy

Andy Samberg and Adam Sandler goofball comedy. I like the former, but the latter annoys me if it's one of those films where he does a voice, a stupid cartoon voice, which accounts for about 50% of his film output. You don't actually see Sandler on screen for the 1st 15 minutes, so I spent those 15 minutes hoping he doesn't do a voice. Who you see first is a kid depicting young Adam Sandler, and the kid has a regular voice. Good sign, right?

No. Sandler appears on screen. He's doing a voice. An OTT nasal, slurred Boston accent, and a bad one at that. He sounds like Peter Griffin having a stroke. This film's not off to a flyer.

Samberg plays a very un-Samberg role as the timid and uptight son of Sandler, who he disowned. The film is spent watching Sandler hopelessly rekindle a relationship with his kid. Along the way there's a bit of Vanilla Ice and an old Todd Bridges from Different Strokes, both playing themselves mocking how shit their lives have turned out, Sandler getting it on with Samberg's fiance's granny, some brother-sister incest and James Caan punching people in the face.

Add it to your "don't watch ever" list and never take it off.

I've not seen much recent stuff, but I quite like Happy Gilmore and The Wedding Singer. Big Daddy was pretty good too. Little Nicky was the beginning of the end. It seemed to act as the pivotal moment where he decided he was going to do stupid voices in most films from now on. It was also really, really shit.

Funny People was good but too long. Was great seeing Sandler watch old stand up tapes, and hating all the commercial kid friendly stupid voice stuff he's doing. I thought, hey, maybe this is a turning point. No. Film after that was the one where he played his twin sister or some shite. And then they re did the "Seth rogen is best friends to cancer guy" in 50/50 and made a better film. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Gypsum_Fantastic said:

Ghostbusters - Going by the trailer i thought it would be shit but really hoped otherwise. It's good! Solid 7/10

I am keen to see this. It has to be good as I don't want to hear any more shit from menanists bleating on about a ruined franchise. As if Ghostbusters 2 wasn't a piece of shit.

I have seen some shit online where folk on forums were discussing slamming positive reviews for the film by implying that they were paid by Sony. These folk need to get out into the world, make friends, touch a boob/wiggler.

• Upvote 1

I resent that. I loved Ghostbusters 2 as a kid. Best thing i've seen so far is people moaning all the men are portrayed as really stupid and crass and that it really isn't fair. Not sure that's a balanced view on how people are responding or just hand picking a comment from the internet where there is always some idiot lurking. Think it has mainly average/good reviews.

59 minutes ago, Richard Pictures said:

I am keen to see this. It has to be good as I don't want to hear any more shit from menanists bleating on about a ruined franchise. As if Ghostbusters 2 wasn't a piece of shit.

I have seen some shit online where folk on forums were discussing slamming positive reviews for the film by implying that they were paid by Sony. These folk need to get out into the world, make friends, touch a boob/wiggler.

Ghostbusters 2 isn't a patch on the original but it's not a bad film. There's some great moments in it. I may be a bit biased because I loved the Ghostbusters films and cartoons when I was a kid, but I still give Ghostbusters 2 a watch now and again. 

I'm going to see the new one this weekend. I just.... I don't know. I'm not keen on reboots (I'm sure I've had many rants about them in this thread) and Ghostbusters is a bit sacred to me. I'm not sure why they would put the old guys in cameos but not playing Venkman, Stanz etc. I would have been happier if it was a straight sequel rather than a reboot, a scene at the start explaining that the previous Ghostbusters are dead, retired, sucked in to a hell dimension, whatever, that would have made it a whole different proposition for me. I'm prepared to give it a go though and I'll try to enjoy it on its own merits.

• Upvote 1