aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

18 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Worst thing about this Deadpool hype is the rising number of misuses of the term 'the 4th wall'.

I say we stick a roof on top of your 4th wall and lock you fuckers in.

It's also being treated as if it is the first ever film ever to ever have a character/narrator speak directly to the audience, ever. Ever. OMG RyRey is talking to ME!

I still loved the shite out of the film, and I love Deadpool comics, but lets not re-write history.

The marketing was quite original though. Almost bordering on OTT. I think the marketing was almost as good as the final product. The trailers were great. The posters depicting it as a romcom. The Deadpool video messages. The dream sequence where he takes a penalty for Man Utd and kisses Wayne Rooney. The marketing was perfect, and quite a game-changer. I think it needed that level of marketing as he's a middle-tier Marvel character who has had little exposure to date barring a pretty ropey video game and a terrible appearance in that horrible, horrible Wolverine film.

Straight Outta Compton: fantastic. Almost in tears. 8 mile and get rich or die tryin' couldn't do that.

it should have been an opportunity for them to address what happened with Dee Barnes but y'know, you make a film about yourself, you're not gonna have an entire sequence about how much of a cunt you are, especially if it isn't essential for the story they're telling.

• 3 weeks later...

South Central

I thought this was supposed to be a classic 'Hood film? One of the most terribly acted films I can remember. Everyone is a caricature. 'Loco' might just be one of the worst movie characters of all time. The Prison Nazis are hilarious, though they're not supposed to be. It tries to be sinister, and it just comes off as goofy. Just utter rubbish. It has nothing on Boyz N The Hood. Great 'Hood film.

Dredd

Terrible action movie is probably my favourite genre of film. This ticks all the terrible action movie boxes. Dredd turns up to a tower block, kills a bunch of people, then leaves. Spoiler alert*** Dredd gets shot with a bolt that penetrates a brick wall and then goes right through his body. He pulls out a sewing pack from his utility belt. Stitches himself up, and gets on with it. Kills a few more bad guys, like, absolutely annihilates them. Saunters out. Roll credits.

9 out of 10.

A Long Way Down. Based on a Nick Hornby novel. I read the book last year and I fucking hated it, the film is pretty different but still fucking crap. 4 strangers meet on a roof where they were all planning committing suicide, and they form an unlikely bond and support each other.  Even Aaron Paul couldn't save this absolute mess. **

Edited by Lemonade

9 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Dredd

Terrible action movie is probably my favourite genre of film. This ticks all the terrible action movie boxes. Dredd turns up to a tower block, kills a bunch of people, then leaves. Spoiler alert*** Dredd gets shot with a bolt that penetrates a brick wall and then goes right through his body. He pulls out a sewing pack from his utility belt. Stitches himself up, and gets on with it. Kills a few more bad guys, like, absolutely annihilates them. Saunters out. Roll credits.

9 out of 10.

This is pretty much just a remake of "The Raid", but I enjoyed it none the less. Dredd is perhaps better than the 1995 movie, which I just found out starred Sylvester Stallone AND Rob Schneider.

Juice

A better 'Hood film than South Central. Better acting and plot. No schmaltzy ending. or sideways gun holding. Tupac and his mates get involved in some bad shit. 3 of them try to wash their hands of it, Tupac goes full-gangster and tries to KILL ALL Y'ALL! I've never seen a Tupac film before. He's a pretty good actor. Or he was. He's dead now. Good film.

2 hours ago, Richard Pictures said:

This is pretty much just a remake of "The Raid", but I enjoyed it none the less. Dredd is perhaps better than the 1995 movie, which I just found out starred Sylvester Stallone AND Rob Schneider.

Sounds like I need to see The Raid.

Schneider teams up with Stallone in Demolition Man too. One of the elite of the terrible action movie genre. Snipes' finest output.

1 hour ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Juice

A better 'Hood film than South Central. Better acting and plot. No schmaltzy ending. or sideways gun holding. Tupac and his mates get involved in some bad shit. 3 of them try to wash their hands of it, Tupac goes full-gangster and tries to KILL ALL Y'ALL! I've never seen a Tupac film before. He's a pretty good actor. Or he was. He's dead now. Good film.

Gridlock'd is pretty good. Tupac, Tim Roth and Thandie Newton playing smackhead jazz musicans.

Juice

Or so the Illuminati would have you believe.

Top 20 reasons why 2Pac is alive

Edited by Lemonade

I've got my hands on The Raid. It's next on the list.

Straight Outta Compton

NWA biopic, with Ice Cube jnr, who is the spit of Ice Cube, playing Ice Cube. And a few others. I have no idea how much of it really happened and how much was dramatised, but the story in it's own right is pretty good. Loads of guns getting flashed, but nobody gets blown away. 'Sup with that? Bit long too, but it's alright.

I've got my hands on The Raid. It's next on the list.

Straight Outta Compton

NWA biopic, with Ice Cube jnr, who is the spit of Ice Cube, playing Ice Cube. And a few others. I have no idea how much of it really happened and how much was dramatised, but the story in it's own right is pretty good. Loads of guns getting flashed, but nobody gets blown away. 'Sup with that? Bit long too, but it's alright.

Ice Cube makes family comedies now so he probably didn't want people to see him straight up icing ballers. I haven't actually seen this yet but I mean to. 

I suppose it'd be weird if Ice Cube was played by Ice Cube, but none of the others were themselves. Ice Cube jnr is a good actor and plays him well.

They really got the cast to look very close to who they're supposed to be. Suge Knight and a young Jerry Heller in particular. Even the 2pac appearance was spot on. If the illumanti are to believed, it probably was 2pac himself, credited under a fake name.

If the events in this film are true, then Eazy-E was a bit of a shitbag. Suge Knight definitely is a shitbag, but we knew that before this film.

• 4 weeks later...

Sex Drive

Hangover sundays are about trashy goofball comedy films. This looked superbly trashy and goofy. A good few laughs, mostly because Clark Duke is the man and great in everything. The plot was horseshit though. 90 minutes of further perpetuating the myth that there's such a thing as the "Friend Zone". Don't worry though. The Nice-Guy protagonist breaks down that ICE COLD BITCH's tough exterior and conquers the walls of the friend zone. HE SHOWED HER! It was like a motion picture projection of every song ever written by The Ataris.

Seth Green makes a cameo as an Amish man with attitude, which was a particular highlight. Oh, and Fall Out Boy play a gig in a barn. Quite a lot of laughs, if you can switch your brains off for a bit. I found the plot too annoying to appreciate it.

Getting wound up over teen romp comedies and their poor reflection of the youth of today. That's my life now.

4 out of 10. All 4 points are for Clark Duke. Can't he just be in everything?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Sex Drive

Hangover sundays are about trashy goofball comedy films. This looked superbly trashy and goofy. A good few laughs, mostly because Clark Duke is the man and great in everything. The plot was horseshit though. 90 minutes of further perpetuating the myth that there's such a thing as the "Friend Zone". Don't worry though. The Nice-Guy protagonist breaks down that ICE COLD BITCH's tough exterior and conquers the walls of the friend zone. HE SHOWED HER! It was like a motion picture projection of every song ever written by The Ataris.

Seth Green makes a cameo as an Amish man with attitude, which was a particular highlight. Oh, and Fall Out Boy play a gig in a barn. Quite a lot of laughs, if you can switch your brains off for a bit. I found the plot too annoying to appreciate it.

Getting wound up over teen romp comedies and their poor reflection of the youth of today. That's my life now.

4 out of 10. All 4 points are for Clark Duke. Can't he just be in everything?

You should check out the special edition double DVD version. The second disc is remarkable. It's exactly the same film except they've superimposed groups of naked women just standing around in the back of shots, doing nothing but standing around naked. Also the scene where Clark Duke is running from the caravan naked you get treated to a close up of his (not actually his)  balls jiggling around while he's running. Oh and there's at least one added fart sound effect. 

5 hours ago, Lemonade said:

You should check out the special edition double DVD version. The second disc is remarkable. It's exactly the same film except they've superimposed groups of naked women just standing around in the back of shots, doing nothing but standing around naked. Also the scene where Clark Duke is running from the caravan naked you get treated to a close up of his (not actually his)  balls jiggling around while he's running. Oh and there's at least one added fart sound effect. 

So, you have watched both versions in their entirety?

Why on earth would you do that?

16 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

So, you have watched both versions in their entirety?

Why on earth would you do that?

Yes. I bought the double DVD and I thought there's no point watching the first disc, assuming that the special edition was just going to be longer and have extra scenes. But when you put it in it says basically "do not watch this version first, if you haven't seen the film before watch the original first or this one won't make any sense" . So I did as I was told, ejected it and put in disc 1. Then after I'd watched it I was curious as to what the second disc was. I think I probably skimmed it the first time but when I felt like rewatching it I did watch the version with all the tits. 

Edited by Lemonade

• 2 weeks later...

Batman (1989)

Tim Burton's Batman (which somehow doesn't have Depp or Bonham-Carter in it!) starring Michael Keaton as the most boring, forgettable, unskilled and unexciting Batman ever. At least Clooney was memorable in some way for those plastic moulded nipples on the batsuit, and Kilmer was memorable for just being a bit crap. Bale has that daft voice but is mostly badass, and I can't comment on Affleck because I don't want to see the new film. Keaton has nothing. The fight scenes are clumsy and hilarious. There's one bit where he flies down from a building to take on some baddies, but he ambles into a pile of bin bags, rolls down the garbage and the baddies shoot him in the chest thinking he's dead. Sneaky Batman trips them up and gives them a few kicks on the sly. Batman's only skill is suckerpunches when backs are turned. Batman is supposed to be brutal and badass, especially based on the 80's comic output from Frank Miller and Alan Moore. Keaton's Batman is a wimp. The fight scene at the end is resolved after he punches the Joker twice and he falls off a building, not before awkwardly wrestling with some shitty henchmen until one of them falls down a hole. Utterly anti-climatic. Nicholson plays a pretty fun Joker at least, but the majority of the film is hilarious when it probably shouldn't be.

Going to watch the sequel next. I'm hoping DeVito's Penguin is just a face-painted Frank Reynolds. I think I will be disappointed.

I remember buying Batman on VHS when I was 10 and being really disappointed with it, but pretending it was the best film ever because I really wanted it to be. I haven't seen it in years actually. As I recall Batman Returns is much better, although I havent seen that in years either. 

The only reason I watched it was because of some Batman discussion on another forum, spurred by the recent Superman/Batman film, where the general consensus was that Keaton was the undisputed best Batman in film. I think it's either warped and sentimental revisionism, or some sort of bizarre Batman hipster-ism. It's wrong anyway. Keaton is naff. Not the worst (Clooney) but just dull.

For some reason, it's severely uncool to like the Christopher Nolan Batman flicks. I don't know why. They're all just popcorn action films about a man who punches people. It's a weird thing to be a hipster about, but Keaton is absolutely not the best at being a man dressed as a bat who punches people. Far from it. He rarely even punches anyone anyway.

• Upvote 1