aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Ghostbusters (2016)

A pretty solid remake, which has a silly story and a good helping of laughs. Chris Hemsworth is very good.

Go see if you want a "brain off" good time for a couple of hours.

Avoid if you are a butt-hurt menanist who is threatened by the slightest form of female empowerment.

3.5/5

Is it even possible to assess this movie on its own merit at this point? (genuine question to those who have seen it)

I feel like if I were to go see it i'd have such a heavy bias, in that i'd be constantly asking myself if i'm enjoying the movie just because I want it to be good so as to shut the sexist (and racist) sub-human scum crowd up a bit - or whether it's actually good. Then if I didn't like it i'd feel less likely to admit it - to myself or anyone else - for fear of anyone thinking it was for any gender-based reasons. The reaction was fucking sickening.

The trailer did make it seem a bit charmless though.

In all likelihood i'll probably forget about it for a few years, watch it then, and reminisce about how we once lived in pre-historic times when a whole lotta white dudes spent a whole lotta time hurling abuse at women and black people. All whilst I puff on my govt-issue marijuana vape staring at my signed photo of president Oprah.

• Upvote 1

The racist abuse Leslie Jones has had to put up with on Twitter off the back of it is fucking sickening. For some reason this movie has really brought out the worst in people. Have a look at her tweets from the 18th and 19th. People tweeting her pictures of gorillas and dropping N bombs. I thought we'd move past that. 

I'm not one for 'what is the world coming to?!' type posts (according to Facebook the world in 2016 is a worse place than it was the 1600s when you were burned for witchcraft if you had teeth) but Twitter seems to bring out this awful 'piley-on' mentality that bubbles a saddening amount of hateful people to the surface. I'd very much like to de-skin the lot from humanity, like the top of a microwaved bowl of semolina.

1 hour ago, Lemonade said:

The racist abuse Leslie Jones has had to put up with on Twitter off the back of it is fucking sickening. For some reason this movie has really brought out the worst in people. Have a look at her tweets from the 18th and 19th. People tweeting her pictures of gorillas and dropping N bombs. I thought we'd move past that. 

Mostly directed by this horrible cunt. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Yiannopoulos

On 7/20/2016 at 10:51 PM, ca_gere said:

Is it even possible to assess this movie on its own merit at this point? (genuine question to those who have seen it)

Good question. I'd say that it is, but only IF you went in with an open mind. Like, if you went in being all James Rolfe-ish about it (see video below) and come out saying that, based purely on merit, that it's a shit movie.. then nah. I'd say your biases meant you wouldn't enjoy it regardless of the quality. However, if you went in like "yaaay new Ghostbusters movie and I am happy/neutral on the subject of recasting and rebooting" but afterwards was like "nah, bit shit really" then fair cop I'd say.

The real source of friction seems to be the style of the comedy - particularly based on the trailer. It has the same director and a lot of the same cast as Bridesmaids. A movie which I expected to hate but ADORED. It's more of a modern, almost slapstick comedy than the dry wit of the original and people seem to be pissed off that it's not the same. That and the "Ghostbusters is a bit sacred to me" type of mindset seem to be the two main bones of contention that aren't fucking chimps screaming about reverse sexism.

BTW: James makes some fairly solid points in the video below, and I'm generally a big fan of his work, but even sitting and calmly making good points about the subject, am I the only one who sees a grown fucking man sulking and spitting the dummy?

OPINIONS.

XX

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Stroopy121 said:

OPINIONS.

Meant to throw this in there too, but the movie IS catching some genuine criticism for being a bit racist. Yes, there's an all-female cast, but that cast is still made up of 3 white scientists and one sassy black girl from da hood.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/21/12239704/ghostbusters-is-still-haunted-by-negative-racial-tropes

xx

• 2 weeks later...

Fant4stic.

So bad. Just so, so bad. Not even hilariously bad. Like, the first HOUR of the movie is the origin of how they get their powers, then they gloss over them using their powers for military applications as soldiers in a 30 second montage, there's half an hour of setting up for the final fight and it lasts about 10 minutes.

Comfortably the worst superhero movie I've seen, and possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.

xx

1 hour ago, Stroopy121 said:

Fant4stic.

So bad. Just so, so bad. Not even hilariously bad. Like, the first HOUR of the movie is the origin of how they get their powers, then they gloss over them using their powers for military applications as soldiers in a 30 second montage, there's half an hour of setting up for the final fight and it lasts about 10 minutes.

Comfortably the worst superhero movie I've seen, and possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.

xx

You obviously haven't seen Billy Zane as the Phantom or Nicholas Cage as Ghostrider...

Bessie, starring Queen Latifa as Bessie Smith, the so-called Queen of the Blues. Great film if you know about Bessie's life, Queen Latifa played her pretty well and can sing a bit too. Downside was we had to buy a multi-regional dvd player because we had to get the dvd from someone in America.

11 hours ago, Alkaline said:

You obviously haven't seen Billy Zane as the Phantom or Nicholas Cage as Ghostrider...

Phantom and Ghostrider are both hilariously bad though. Like, the CGI in Ghostrider is bad enough that you get a bit of a chuckle when he lights up, plus Nick Cage is so terriblawesome in everything he does that it's kinda hard not to just enjoy the ride. And Phantom has that cheese appeal. Same goes for the really old first gen Captain America movie from 1979. This one just had nothing at all going for it.

xx

On 8/1/2016 at 6:17 PM, Lemonade said:

I saw Ghostbusters last night too. Very good, not great, had flaws but more than enough laughs to gloss over it. Raced along, didn't feel like 2 hours. 7/10. 

I don't want this to sound like I'm picking a fight or anything here - but what flaws do you think it had? What didn't you like about the movie? I'm really curious as I loved just about everything about it (except the Ecto-1 siren), so would love to hear a different point of view on it.

xx

I've watched the first of a three part mini series 'The Children of Dune'.

It's pretty cheese-tastic but probably worth a watch if you're into dune and can handle hammy acting.

The first one is basically Dune Messiah, which I read and didn't particularly enjoy reading - I doubt I'll read any more of the series now, so I'm settling for this.

8 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

I don't want this to sound like I'm picking a fight or anything here - but what flaws do you think it had? What didn't you like about the movie? I'm really curious as I loved just about everything about it (except the Ecto-1 siren), so would love to hear a different point of view on it.

xx

Slight spoilers ahead:

Minor gripes. I felt there wasn't enough establishment of them as Ghostbusters, you saw them catching like two ghosts and then they were in the final battle. In the first film there was a montage of them bustin', and their TV adverts and magazine covers and stuff. I just thought there should have been a little bit more of an arc for them. The final battle was over far too quickly, they just turned up and killed the big baddie and that was it. It barely even put up a fight. And Bill Murray's cameo was terrible, it was a throwaway role that could have been done by anyone, it was a waste of Bill Murray.  He didn't seem like he wanted to even be there. Also the siren.

By and large I thought it was really good though. Every user review I read online seems to be "WORST FILM EVER FUCK EVERYTHING I HATE THIS SO MUCH" or "OMG FILM OF THE YEAR SPAFF SPAFF SPAFF 100000/10". It's like people are lavishing praise on it to balance out against all the horrible misogynist hate it's getting. What a weird situation this all is. 

14 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Slight spoilers ahead:

Minor gripes. I felt there wasn't enough establishment of them as Ghostbusters, you saw them catching like two ghosts and then they were in the final battle. In the first film there was a montage of them bustin', and their TV adverts and magazine covers and stuff. I just thought there should have been a little bit more of an arc for them. The final battle was over far too quickly, they just turned up and killed the big baddie and that was it. It barely even put up a fight. And Bill Murray's cameo was terrible, it was a throwaway role that could have been done by anyone, it was a waste of Bill Murray.  He didn't seem like he wanted to even be there. Also the siren.

By and large I thought it was really good though. Every user review I read online seems to be "WORST FILM EVER FUCK EVERYTHING I HATE THIS SO MUCH" or "OMG FILM OF THE YEAR SPAFF SPAFF SPAFF 100000/10". It's like people are lavishing praise on it to balance out against all the horrible misogynist hate it's getting. What a weird situation this all is. 

That's fair enough. The Bill Murray cameo I felt was -almost- great. The character they have him play was, I thought, pretty funny and there was a lot more they could've done with him, but then I suppose that would've taken away from the main story arc (unless they wrote him in to the main story arc, in which case it's not a cameo any more). Dan Aykroyd's one was pretty funny too. I do agree that the final battle was a little underwhelming, but I thought the end sequence in it's entirety where they take on the other, lesser, baddies was really solid.

And as for establishing themselves, I had taken the point to be that even though they were catching ghosts, they never actually became established, they were always a joke. A montage of them catching loads more ghosts would really only have muddied that point?

xx

51 minutes ago, Stroopy121 said:

That's fair enough. The Bill Murray cameo I felt was -almost- great. The character they have him play was, I thought, pretty funny and there was a lot more they could've done with him, but then I suppose that would've taken away from the main story arc (unless they wrote him in to the main story arc, in which case it's not a cameo any more). Dan Aykroyd's one was pretty funny too. I do agree that the final battle was a little underwhelming, but I thought the end sequence in it's entirety where they take on the other, lesser, baddies was really solid.

And as for establishing themselves, I had taken the point to be that even though they were catching ghosts, they never actually became established, they were always a joke. A montage of them catching loads more ghosts would really only have muddied that point?

xx

I'm amused that we're dissecting Ghostbusters as though it's a work of classic literature. Fair enough I take your points on board but respectfully disagree. Agreed on Dan Aykroyd's cameo though. Brilliant. The one during the credits was a surprise too. No Rick Moranis though :(

• Upvote 1