aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

The Magnificent Seven - western remake starring Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt. I haven't seen either the original or Seven Samurais, so I don't know how this compares but as a film in its own right I really enjoyed it. A good mix of gritty cowboy movie but with a dollop of comic relief to stop it getting too joyless. Ethan Hawke and Chris Pratt stand out. The first 2 acts are brilliant, it's weirdly anticlimactic though, considering it has a massive, massive gunfight at the end, but after enjoying the build-up  so much I walked out the cinema feeling a little bit meh. The gunfight at the end actually goes on so long I was actually starting to check my watch, and I think it's a little let down by lack of character development or backstories for any of the Seven. There's a degree of not really giving a shit who lives and dies when you're given little to connect with the characters. Still, really fucking good despite that. 7/10. 

Watched all 3 Purge movies recently.

Ropey acting throughout but I really like the high concept and that's enough to keep it going. They could make a hundred of them and i'd watch each one I think. You're constantly asking yourself what you'd do if the purge was a real thing, and questioning how different it'd be in real life, etc. Some great costume design too. The first two totally passed me by - I just happened to see the trailer for the third and thought the concept was really interesting. I'd have ignored them based on the name, it sounds like a bog standard horror film. 

9 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Watched all 3 Purge movies recently.

Ropey acting throughout but I really like the high concept and that's enough to keep it going. They could make a hundred of them and i'd watch each one I think. You're constantly asking yourself what you'd do if the purge was a real thing, and questioning how different it'd be in real life, etc. Some great costume design too. The first two totally passed me by - I just happened to see the trailer for the third and thought the concept was really interesting. I'd have ignored them based on the name, it sounds like a bog standard horror film. 

I felt the same about the Saw films.

11 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Search For The Wilderpeople

A New Zealand film about a young lad and his foster father who go on the fun from the law through the woods. I don't know if it's getting a worldwide release but is available via most LEGITIMATE DVD SHOPS. Give it a watch, because it's both funny and good. 

Believe it is still on at the Belmont. Fantastic film.

• 4 weeks later...

The Resurrection Of Jake The Snake - documentary about wrestling legend Jake Roberts, one of the greatest wrestlers ever but also crippled with lifelong alcohol and drug addictions. It picks up with him at rock bottom, showing up to wrestle in front of a couple of hundred people, 300lbs and so drunk he can barely walk to the ring and it follows him for 18 months as he tries to turn his life around, get clean and sober and attempt a comeback, all the time mentored by Diamond Dallas Page , who moves Jake into his house and personally oversees his recovery. You don't have to be a wrestling fan to enjoy this, it's really a documentary about alcoholism, it just happens to feature a wrestler. A really good documentary. A few lumps in the throat, and so much respect for DDP. This is on Netflix, get it watched. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I missed The Lobster when it was in cinemas last year but noticed last night that it's on Netflix so gave it a watch. It's about an alternate future where if you don't find a partner within a certain amount of time, you get turned into an animal. The main character is played by Colin Farrell and at the beginning of the film his wife leaves him, so he is sent to this hotel where the goal is to find a partner based on a shared characteristic within 50 days. It's pretty grim but also really funny. Nothing is explicitly explained, which makes it even moreso. 

• Upvote 1

Guardians Of The Galaxy - I assume everyone knows what this is about. I loved it. Everyone was fantastic. Proper belly laughs all the way through. I've sort of went off of Chris Pratt. It seemed like he was just doing his Andy schtick everywhere, but I thought he was great in this. Bradley Cooper is probably the stand out performance and he's just a voice. Also, is it just me or are the stand alone Marvel movies (GOTG, Ant-man) and netflix tv shows trump the Avengers movies and tie-ins in every way? Was surprised at the amount of swearing in GOTG, but I like sweary jokes, so it was a pleasant surprise. And sure, they teased Thanos, but it didn't feel like almost every other marvel film feels like - a build up the the big "end of phase movie".

The 2002 version of Solaris.

I've been meaning to watch this for ages because I had next to no idea what the fuck was going on in the book and also in the 1972 Tarkovsky version of the film - which I need to watch again (excellent WTF soviet Sci-Fi).

Fairly enjoyable but Clooney can be a bit wooden, and generally annoying, in it. Obviously done on a fairly low budget, but probably worth a watch for SciFi fans. I doubt I'll ever read the book again because that was a fucking slog, but this is a pretty decent Western take on a pretty far out concept.

Creed - this is Rocky 7 in all but name. Rocky trains Apollo Creed's son as he takes his first steps into professional boxing, and earns a glamour match against the world champion because of his famous surname. It continues on where Rocky 6 left off, Rocky is still living a humble existence, running his restaurant and mourning his wife. Like 6, it's more of a character piece than a air-punching testosterone-filled sports movie, and recaptures a little bit of the grittiness of 1 and 2. As the title suggests, Rocky is really a supporting character in this film (although he does get his own obstacle to overcome) and it focuses mainly on Creed Jr, opening up a whole new story line (and presumably franchise) but with enough nods to the original series to keep long term fans interested. I enjoyed this. 

• Upvote 1

Moana

I fucking loved the shit out of this. Funny, engaging story, good characters, incredible score (written in part by Lin-Manuel Miranda ((the dude from Hamilton)) so of COURSE it's incredible) and overall just a really solid movie. My favourite thing to come out of Disney studios in a long time. Recommended.

10/10

xx

On 12/19/2016 at 8:59 AM, TR!ΔNGLE TEETH said:

Rogue One

More wars than star. Good robot bantz, a bit thin of character development, but it doesn't hurt the story arc.

TWO THUMBS UP

Aye. Fortunately I had no need to hide my throbbing sci-fi boner at the cinema because I had a whole VIP screen to myself. Well worth the £30.

That droid turned out to be not a complete bell-end.

Hide contents

I'm glad all the newly introduced characters died. I'm also glad they didn't use the normal theme tune for a spin-off. AND, Peter Cushing was a pretty convincing CGI.

Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them - Although set in the Harry Potter universe its pretty far removed from Harry Potter, more grown-up and almost no references to Harry Potter. Really just a fantasy adventure, you could easily watch this having never read or watched any Potter and there's very little you wouldn't get. A collector of magical animals arrives in New York in the 1920s, where some of  his collection breaks free and with the help of his non-magical friend he has to try and catch them again. Meanwhile a powerful and destructive dark force is causing chaos among the non-magical folks of New York, which the Magical Congress are trying to contain, and a dark wizard has broken free. A lot going on, and way better than I was expecting. 4/5

Edited by Lemonade

On 12/21/2016 at 11:57 AM, Lemonade said:

Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them - Although set in the Harry Potter universe its pretty far removed from Harry Potter, more grown-up and almost no references to Harry Potter. Really just a fantasy adventure, you could easily watch this having never read or watched any Potter and there's very little you wouldn't get. A collector of magical animals arrives in New York in the 1920s, where some of  his collection breaks free and with the help of his non-magical friend he has to try and catch them again. Meanwhile a powerful and destructive dark force is causing chaos among the non-magical folks of New York, which the Magical Congress are trying to contain, and a dark wizard has broken free. A lot going on, and way better than I was expecting. 

Did the lead guy's voice bother you? In the trailer I saw, he says something and it just sounds like "haffafafafff" and I don't want to sit through 2 hours of incoherent mumbling.
Then 4 sequels.
Then the play.
Then the pottermore exclusive factoids.

Passengers - expected a sci fi film, which it sort of is, but more than anything else it's a romance. Think Titanic in space (some very obvious parallels throughout). Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence are passengers on a ship on a 120 year journey to another planet and are woken up from stasis 90 years early to find the ship malfunctioning, the entire crew asleep and unreachable, and have to figure out what's gone wrong on their own, all while falling in love and having loads of sex. Really good story, gripping, strikes the balance between sci fi and love story brilliantly. 

7 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Passengers - expected a sci fi film, which it sort of is, but more than anything else it's a romance. Think Titanic in space (some very obvious parallels throughout). Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence are passengers on a ship on a 120 year journey to another planet and are woken up from stasis 90 years early to find the ship malfunctioning, the entire crew asleep and unreachable, and have to figure out what's gone wrong on their own, all while falling in love and having loads of sex. Really good story, gripping, strikes the balance between sci fi and love story brilliantly. 

Does she get her norks oot?