aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Been watching the Star Wars films in "Machete Order" (http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/). I've never seen the OG films (only the prequels...), and wanted to catch-up with the classics before the new one comes out.

A New Hope: This shit started off terribly. Like, weapons grade awful. 20 minutes of "super cute robot adventure in the desert" almost lost me completely, but it swung around when that Ben guy rolled through, then Han Solo slightly later. Best bit was in that weird alien pub when that green thing tried to hustle Han, but got shot in the face instead. Started to lose me again when Big Ben died and started telepathically communicating to Luke in the cheesiest "mentor" voice ever, and shit, who designed the Death Star? One shot down a weird hole and the whole thing explodes. Good film tho. 7/10.

The Empire Strikes Back: Better. The Luke/Dad fight sequence was awesome, all of it. 3/10 for Lando's terrible facial shrubbery. Storm troopers shoot like they're playing Call of Duty with no thumbs, and Chewy's noises get more and more distressed-sounding every I hear them. Another serious design flaw from the Empire, too, when their big-ass star destroyer thing couldn't locate the Millennium Falcon when it was parked on the ship's hull. Seriously, these guys are idiots. How do they get anything done? Their admin department must be a right mess. The Yoda training scene was really campy and silly, and Ben's telepathy gets more and more cringeworthy. Great ending, though. 8/10.

Onto Episode 2 next. Good lord, I'm not looking forward to this.

• Upvote 1

Watched tinker tailor soldier spy

possibly the most confusing film I've ever seen. I listened intently to every bit of dialogue and still wasn't sure what the hell was going on. Everything seemed to be a 'suggestion' towards the plot but not quite the plot.

the acting is awesome though - I just couldn't figure out what they were acting out.

• Upvote 1

Miracle on 34th Street (1994). With the little girl who played Matilda. I'd never seen any versions of this. It was magical. 

The Hangover. Very very good. The sequels not so good. 

Elf. Christmas standard. One of the rare modern Christmas films that's made it into the list of classic Christmas films. 

On 27 July 2015 at 11:32:26, Lemonade said:

There's this cool little venue in Poland I go to sometimes called The Sugar Club. It's a gig venue first and foremost but they do cinema nights and cabaret and stuff as well. On Friday night I went to a special screening of Mean Girls. The place was decked out like a high school prom and there was two hours of drinking before the film started so it was rowdy and there was a lot of audience participation throughout. Shouting out lines and cheering and booing. I was at the Asian Nerds table. After it there was a Northshore High School Spring Fling Prom with music from teen films and a prom king and queen and a drag queen host called Regina George. I'm not going to lie to you lads. It was one of the best nights out I've ever had.

This is also where I watched Elf last night. It went like this:

"The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear!

Is smiling your favourite? Don’t be a cotton-headed ninnymoggins at home on your own! Come out and hang with Buddy on 17 December for a larf and a cool yule screening of Elf in The Sugar Club, Dublin.

Santa is also coming, SAAAAAAAAANNNTA, do you know him? We know him. If you're coming you can expect to sit on Santa's knee, eat the elves' four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup. Decorate your own ginger bread, drink syrup cocktails, play make-and-do with your own Xmas decorations, and perhaps even hold hands or snuggle all while watching your favourite Elf." 

http://www.thesugarclub.com/listings/event/elf

"

4 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Watched tinker tailor soldier spy

possibly the most confusing film I've ever seen. I listened intently to every bit of dialogue and still wasn't sure what the hell was going on. Everything seemed to be a 'suggestion' towards the plot but not quite the plot.

the acting is awesome though - I just couldn't figure out what they were acting out.

I've yet to figure it out also. I don't think the confusion is necessarily a bad thing because as you say, the acting is superb - as is the cinematography.

A super sleek, super cool movie that shites in the hat of James Bond.

• 2 weeks later...

We Came Together.

Spoof rom-com starring Paul Rudd, Amy Poehler and every possible supporting actor you've ever seen in an American sitcom or on SNL in the last 10 years. It was basically a 90 minute SNL sketch making fun of romantic comedies. It probably had the intention of being closer to Naked Gun than Not Another Teen Movie, but it failed a bit. Numerous chortles, but the spoof element becomes more annoying as the film goes on. It had 1 star our of 5 on Netflix. That rating is about right. Quite funny, but not good. The Family Guy of movies.

I saw that the other day too.

youre bang on. It threatened to tip over into being very funny but it let every joke linger way longer than it should have and most of them fell very flat. The bit where he starts kissing his grandma was the worst.

some genuinely funny lines/setups though just really half-assed.

I've watched the original trilogy of Star Wars lately due to all the talk of the new one, which I'll go and see sometime soon. I had seen them once before years ago but I have never been a big fan and my point of view hasn't really changed. They're ok but nothing exceptional to me, I also don't think there's much of a difference in quality between them all. 7/10 for me. (However I can completely see why people who saw them when the special effects were cutting edge would rate them much higher).

I didn't watch the Star Wars films until I was an adult and I'm not that fussed by them either. I think it's mostly a nostalgia thing. A lot of people my age were obsessed with them in the early 80s and its carried into adulthood. Whereas it's hard to get that into something as an adult when you have a broader scope for what's important and what isn't. 

Edited by Lemonade

• 3 weeks later...

Starter For Ten - British comedy about a guy at university in the 80s who goes on University Challenge. It's a very light hearted and easy watch, probably enjoyed it more for the 80s nostalgia than the story, but it was good.

Begin Again - Kiera Knightley is a heartbroken folk singer who lives in New York and meets Mark Ruffallo and alcoholic A&R man for a record company who is on the brink of being fired and has lost his family due to drinking etc. He persuades her to make a record with him. It tries a bit too hard to be a super cool music movie, sort of a grown up Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, and James Corden is it, but it was an unexpected delight.

Atari: Game Over - documentary about the rise and fall of Atari, mainly focusing on the game E.T: The Extra Terrestrial. In 1982 Atari acquired the rights to the game then realised they only had six weeks to create an entire game from scratch in order to make the Christmas market. They managed it, and produced millions of cartridges for the Christmas rush, but the game was so horrible and unplayable that the vast majority either never sold or were returned, and it cost the company millions of dollars and left them on the brink of collapse (though it is pointed out in the film that there were other factors in that). Urban legend then goes that they took all the millions of unsold ET cartridges out to a landfill in the New Mexico desert and buried them, and covered the whole lot in concrete. The documentary talks to those involved in making the game, and they also go to the New Mexico to try and find the buried cartridges to confirm whether there's any truth in the myth. It's probably not all that interesting unless you have an interest in the story or in retro games, I have both, and predictably I quite liked it. It's only an hour and it's on Netflix.

The Internship

Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn lose their jobs, so they go to Google and take part in some sort of Internship battle, where teams of interns face-off against one another, and the winning team all get jobs at Google. Most of it is filmed at the Google HQ, that ridiculous complex with slides and whatnot, so it all looks pretty cool. Vaughn and Wilson are both funny and likable enough to carry it for 90 minutes. Good laughs, pleasant watch, corny ending. A solid 6 out of 10 goofball comedy.

The Hateful Eight

New Tarantino picture. Seems to have gotten mixed reviews, but I liked it a lot. I won't say too much about the plot for those planning on seeing it. As you'd expect, aesthetically it is excellent and worth seeing in the cinema. The setting and the cinematography are excellent. Like with nearly all Tarantino films, it's very much based on dialogue over action, which seems to be where the mixed reviews come from. It's odd that people still don't know what to expect from a Tarantino film. I'm not particularly a fan of Kurt Russell but his performance is very good. It might even be Samuel L's best ever performance IMO, from what I have seen of him. 8 out of 10.

49 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

The Internship

Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn lose their jobs, so they go to Google and take part in some sort of Internship battle, where teams of interns face-off against one another, and the winning team all get jobs at Google. Most of it is filmed at the Google HQ, that ridiculous complex with slides and whatnot, so it all looks pretty cool. Vaughn and Wilson are both funny and likable enough to carry it for 90 minutes. Good laughs, pleasant watch, corny ending. A solid 6 out of 10 goofball comedy.

The Hateful Eight

New Tarantino picture. Seems to have gotten mixed reviews, but I liked it a lot. I won't say too much about the plot for those planning on seeing it. As you'd expect, aesthetically it is excellent and worth seeing in the cinema. The setting and the cinematography are excellent. Like with nearly all Tarantino films, it's very much based on dialogue over action, which seems to be where the mixed reviews come from. It's odd that people still don't know what to expect from a Tarantino film. I'm not particularly a fan of Kurt Russell but his performance is very good. It might even be Samuel L's best ever performance IMO, from what I have seen of him. 8 out of 10.

The best bit of The Internship for me was the line "Who the fuck is this guy" from the Quidditch game.

Pirates Of The Caribbean - Everyone's seen this, right? It's still pretty good but some of the special effects aren't quite as good as I remember from when it first came out. ***

Pirates Of The Caribbean 2 - Dead Man's Chest - A more epic if slightly less coherent adventure, is a bit long winded but still fun. ****

Killing Bono - Part factual part fictional comedy about two brothers who went to school with U2 and started a band at the same time as them and played gigs together, then had to watch as their friends became superstars while they struggled to get their own band off the ground. ***

Hancock - Will Smith plays an abrasive alcoholic superhero who tries to protect Los Angeles but usually makes a mess of it. Jason Bateman is a PR man who's life Hancock saves and he promises to help change the public's perception of him. A fun concept but it gets a bit crappy when the big plot twist comes. ***

Authors Anonymous - Mockumentary starring Kaley Cuoco and Chris Klien about a group of struggling writers, the various bullshit they spin to try and pretend they're doing better than they are, and the jealousy when one of them becomes succesful. This got terrible reviews but I thought it was really funny in a Christopher Guest sort of way. ****

On 09/01/2016 at 4:12 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

The Hateful Eight

I saw this on Sunday and quite enjoyed it. I bloody love a bit of Kurt Russell, which makes his inclusion a big boost. It is perhaps 20-30 minutes too long, and nothing particularly new for a Tarantino film. Good cast performances and excellent dialogue, but I think some of the back stories *(especially Samuel L Jackson's flashback) was not really needed and slowed the pace of the movie down a bit too much.

When I think about it, I would rank this as the 8th best Tarantino directed movie. 

The Hateful Eight was alright, the only problem I found with it is that sometimes Tarantino's voice tears right through the character on screen so I end up picturing Tarantino laughing over his keyboard/writing pad while the actor recites their dialogue instead of remaining immersed in the plot.

There's a bit about a blowjob which is especially guilty of this. There's no amount of acting Jackson can do to make that work.