aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

That doesn't sound any good at all! Especially since I don't really like Family Guy etc...

I ADORE Family Guy etc, and I still thought it was fucking awful. I put it on wanting some nice, braindead comedy and even then was dissappointed.

I enjoyed it. How did you see it? DVD? I think Blu-rays normally have added jokes and more offensive stuff, so it was much the same as FG jokes. And Flash Gordon. That whole sequence is just fantastic.

I "legally" downloaded it. So fucking happy I didn't pay for the pleasure of watching that fucking tripe.

xx

I enjoyed it. How did you see it? DVD? I think Blu-rays normally have added jokes and more offensive stuff, so it was much the same as FG jokes. And Flash Gordon. That whole sequence is just fantastic.

The depth Mark Wahlberg shows in his acting ability by playing somebody from Boston is mind blowing.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Revolutionary Road - Kate Winslet and Leonardo Di Caprio play a young couple in the 1950s struggling through a troubled marriage as both of them realise that their lifelong dreams have passed them by and they're stuck in suburbia with the nuclear family and the white picket fence. Or as my friend puts it, "Rose from Titanic imagines what life would be with with Jack if he hadn't frozen to death on that door". Very bleak movie, but terrific acting all round.

• 2 weeks later...

The Place Beyond the Pines - Long film but I thought it was very good, a lot of my friends who have watched it described it as Drive on two wheels which I think doesn't do it justice. Don't want to say too much and spoil it but I would recommend.

My mate says the first 20 mins he thought it was going to be great then it turned into a boring pile of shite.

The Hobbit

They're taking a short kid's book and turning it into ~9 hours worth of movie, and it's very fucking obvious. I'll watch the second two, but I won't enjoy them either. It's all very well made, the acting is solid, all that jazz. There just isn't enough plot.

2/5.

Iron Man 3

Lots of Tony Stark, fairly little Iron Man, but that's OK. The film had a solid story, the usual cracking performances by the usual cast. Ben Kingsley was awesome in the role he was handed but I sorely disapproved of the twist on the Mandarin that they've thrown in.

Fun fact - the reason they opted to go with a white guy as the villain is (rumoured to be) because their Chinese distributors wouldn't show the movie if the bad guy was Chinese. I assume this would also lead to problems when it came to merchandising because who else but the Chinese could be asked to make a billion Iron Man 3 toys for 5p each? Good old Disney.

Better than 2, not a patch on 1.

3/5.

xx

I thought the Hobbit was great.

I really, really wanted to enjoy it, but it just didn't hold my attention at all. I think the sequence where they enter the mountain was excellent, but otherwise it just felt like really long sequence inconsequential events, strung together.

When you read any one of the LotR books, you can understand why they need a movie each, The Hobbit really, really doesn't need 3 in my opinion.

xx

I haven't posted on this thread in ages and have seen a fair amount of movies since then.

Some recent ones...

Place Beyond The Pines

Excellent 3-part character study on actions and their far-reaching consequences. Top cast. 8.5/10

Oblivion

Good-looking fluff, starring a woefully miscast Cruiser. Great visuals, lame story, with a "twist" that you'll see coming a light year away. 6/10

The Hobbit

Drawn out and disappointing, this movie was ruined for me by Martin Freeman's inept turn as Bilbo Baggins. Even when faced with mortal danger, he had some stupid whimsical crack to make and it ruined any suspense or sense of real danger. The "diswashing scene" was particularly toe-curling. 3/10

Star Trek : Into Darkness

Exciting sci-fi action with the "new" cast settling nicely into their roles. Even ginger cunt Pegg and his shameful take on Scotty didn't ruin this one. My only criticism is the same one I've levelled at every action movie over the last 10 years or so - the fact that the protagonists seem to be able to absorb unlimited physical punishment and get back up again, even when hurtled 100 feet, full force, to the ground. Spock kicks serious ass in this one. 8.5/10

The Evil Dead

This one gets a point for the great opening - and fuck-all else. Dreadful. Watch the original instead. 1/10

Dark Skies

Uneventful alien abduction movie. Pretty uninvolving. 5/10

The Last Stand

A grizzled Anholt still manages to fill the screen as a local sherriff facing a High Noon scenario with some nasty drug dealers who are heading towards his small border town. 30+ years in Hollywood and he still can't pronounce 85% of his dialogue :)  6/10

A Serbian Film (Uncut)

Holy Mother of God!  - I wouldn't even attempt to rate this mind fuck (pun intended - if you've seen the movie).

Edited by Diesel