aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Journals and local music

Chris

I'm off for a relaxing sheep-dip.

enjoy it....

This is a pretty interesting thread about the local media (better if a lot of unnecessary nonsense was cut out - maybe that will include this post too?).

I think Maxi and Steven said a couple of relevant points about (a) a well written and (b) a well timed press release, it doesn't necessarily have to have a "gimmick". I have had some decent coverage of some of my gigs in the papers and also recently in the Abdn Uni paper, through both me getting in touch and them picking up on it themselves.

A case in point is for a gig with Jenna Reid in 2006, I mailed out a release Id written on the day before the gig (to a guessed email address based on a relevant article in the paper the day before) and I got 180 words + picture on page 3 of the P&J on the morning of the gig, the majority of which was exactly what i had written, ie make their job easy! If there was a "gimmick" is was the fact Jenna won the "Best Up and Coming Artist" at the Trad Awards 2 months previous.....

A bit of luck, a bit of thought, effort and time, a decent turnout at the gig...... :up:

or something like this......

Guest Steven Dedalus
ugh this thread makes me sick, no wonder the scene is shit and the city is a joke.

Awww come on!

You've said some insightful things in this thread.

Is this the best you can do?

we respect everyone's opinions of the band and the music, apart from the comment about their music being bland..... I don't think so, but again it's maybe just not your thing, so fair doos, but you can't argue that the people in there on Friday were obviously enjoying it?!!

you respect 'everyone's' opinion of the band (even those who haven't seen them), yet the only opinion you don't respect is the one who has actually seen the band and commented?

strange way of looking at things...

ah well...best of luck with that...

looking at the bigger picture, what Aberdeen needs is to be picked up by a national publication like The List or The Skinny. An 'arts' information hub for all. Problem is, in my opinion, a lack of writers with the cause at heart. Edinburgh and Glasgow has tons of them.

(this may or may not have been mentioned already - haven't backtracked through the thread lately)

Guest idol_wild

looking at the bigger picture, what Aberdeen needs is to be picked up by a national publication like The List or The Skinny. An 'arts' information hub for all. Problem is, in my opinion, a lack of writers with the cause at heart. Edinburgh and Glasgow has tons of them.

I agree to an extent, but I offered my services to The Skinny (they are looking into featuring Aberdeen) and I have heard nothing back from them. I am degree educated in the arts, possess almost 3 years of journalistic experience, and I am obsessed with music and film. There does exist those who would write passionately about all the good things Aberdeen has to offer, but The Skinny won't bother recruiting an Aberdeen based team (or even individual); they'll just try and cover Aberdeen from down there.

That, in my view, is the problem. :down:

I agree to an extent, but I offered my services to The Skinny (they are looking into featuring Aberdeen) and I have heard nothing back from them. I am degree educated in the arts, possess almost 3 years of journalistic experience, and I am obsessed with music and film. There does exist those who would write passionately about all the good things Aberdeen has to offer, but The Skinny won't bother recruiting an Aberdeen based team (or even individual); they'll just try and cover Aberdeen from down there.

That, in my view, is the problem. :down:

fair play to you then...

I have enquired to both publications in the past and both replied they were looking into the possibilities up here...

lip service?

Some years ago Paz from the Pelican, who at that times was looking after oor band, Greenblade, got an article in both papers stating that we were off to conquer New York within a fortnight and the gig at the weekend, in said club, may be an opportunity to be up close with a band that had been invited to play some big clubs in NYC and moving on up. Not one bit of truth in the story and not one journalist checked up. The Pelican was sold out that weekend...

Got to hand to his brass neck and lazy journalism. Saying that the fibs were so grand they may have assumed that no one would be so bold. They clearly hadn't met Paz before!

You could have the funniest thread ever, just full of Paz Poobah stories, does he still have that oil job he blagged/bluffed, he'll be president of Ecuador within the decade.

before these it was the gig guides. and once enough sponsorship/commercial viability was established these bigger publications came in about. people needed to support the granite city guide or a similar project to really get something like that off the ground. but they didnt. and thats the tragedy.

Holy shit, new business makes short-term loss! o_O I thought fanzines were based on like, hard-fought reputations 'n shit, not balking at the first hurdle. It's fair enough if you didn't have the capital or drive to make a go of it, but you can't really condemn the entire enterprise on the experience of one half-assed venture. Besides, 35 copies for a first edition doesn't sound too bad.

i have absolutely no idea how businesses work, am terribly lazy, have vast sums of money lying all around my house waiting to be spent, and absolutely loads of spare time to fanny around on message boards. I am looking forward to your new zine due out this Summer entitled 'Really Lame Fanzine'

I too am 'erotic fire' till i die :headbang:

Guest Steven Dedalus

I can't help but notice that this thread has collapsed into a heap of bitchy name calling and recriminations.

(I first noticed it when I did it myself)

Lets be positive here, peeps.

Lessons learned -

Erotic Fire played the game, and got in the papers, and we're all talking about them (admittedly not in an entirely flattering light, but sure that's rock and roll for you, and it's made them notorious, which is more than most of us ever got to be).

The local press aren't supporting the music scene, but the local scene wants nothing to do with the press. (There is no reasonable explaination for why ths state of affairs should exist. The local press would feed off the music - if the musicians gave them anything to work with - and the musicians could use the local press as a valuable launching pad for all sorts of mischeif - but only if they're prepared to play by the rules.)

There's no coverage for local bands, and someone should do something about it (Admittedly there's not much oin the way of local mags/fanzines/coverage in listings magazines, but over the course of this thread, I've seen a fair few people get stuck in and express themselves coherently and articulately. In the words of Black Flag, "Rise Above!" Start pestering people to let you write! Act as if it's you're god-given right! As someone else pointed out, there's strength in numbers, and if enough people make a racket, it becomes hard to ignore.)

There's nothing to be gained by whining and complaining (so get off thine arse and do something about it.)

So, if we can all take something away from this little episode, good things could potentially happen. There's enough case studies and histories on this thread to indicate that if you decide to have a go at things, and pester poeple and make your voice heard, eventually people take notice. It might not be in the way you expect (or want) but it's better than nothing.

And it's all god fun, isn't it?

Hooray for music!

I'm saddened to read that some people think that we have a shit scene up here. We have a very vibrant and broad music scene that needs people to invest their time and money into it.

Time and money can be taken any way you want it to. Whether it be writing in the local rag, or making your own publication, promoters spending money and putting alot of time into putting gigs on, or the bands themselves getting off their arses and doing some work themselves.

My last point is what really gets me frustrated alot of the time.This may start a whole new conversation and thread but I'm gonna say it here anyways.

I think bands should invest more time and effort into promotiing themselves and getting crowds to their gigs and people interested in their music. Alot of bands rest on their laurels(sp) and just expect their friends to keep turning up listening to the same set in a different venue in town every other week. They leave all promotion to the promoter concerned and then moan if it's a shit turnout.

The exception to this seems to be out-of-town bands who look to promote themselves. Speaking to Paige yesterday at my gig, they arrived in Aberdeen about 1pm and set about wandering around town, flyers in hand, speaking to people and trying to get them interested in going to the gig. Why can't local bands do this? It doesn't take more than each member spending maybe about an hour each one day and doing the same.

Anyways, back to my original point. I think we have a very good scene up here and it would just take a bit of hard work from some bands to break through and get somewhere rather than playing round the same venues once a month.

• Upvote 1

Guest Steven Dedalus

Why can't local bands do this? It doesn't take more than each member spending maybe about an hour each one day and doing the same.

One word: EGO.

Back in the olden days, I'd spend a bit of time at work, cutting a pasting little pictures, and writing stuff, full of hyperbole, and then bung it in the window of One Up (it was my store, after all).

I'd then expect every venue I played at to be packed to the rafters - all becuase of my one shitty little poster.

I mean, I could have went out and spoke to people on the street, or targeted the student population, or contacted the local press, or used the internet, or etc, etc.

But no - my one little poster in the window of my shop was enough work for me.

After all, I'm the one playing the gig! The audience should be grateful for the PRIVILAGE to see me perform. I'm hardly going to go out and do the legwork myself, I'm an artist after all.

Eh? Eh?

I can't help but notice that this thread has collapsed into a heap of bitchy name calling and recriminations.

(I first noticed it when I did it myself)

Lets be positive here, peeps.

Lessons learned -

Erotic Fire played the game, and got in the papers, and we're all talking about them (admittedly not in an entirely flattering light, but sure that's rock and roll for you, and it's made them notorious, which is more than most of us ever got to be).

The local press aren't supporting the music scene, but the local scene wants nothing to do with the press. (There is no reasonable explaination for why ths state of affairs should exist. The local press would feed off the music - if the musicians gave them anything to work with - and the musicians could use the local press as a valuable launching pad for all sorts of mischeif - but only if they're prepared to play by the rules.)

There's no coverage for local bands, and someone should do something about it (Admittedly there's not much oin the way of local mags/fanzines/coverage in listings magazines, but over the course of this thread, I've seen a fair few people get stuck in and express themselves coherently and articulately. In the words of Black Flag, "Rise Above!" Start pestering people to let you write! Act as if it's you're god-given right! As someone else pointed out, there's strength in numbers, and if enough people make a racket, it becomes hard to ignore.)

There's nothing to be gained by whining and complaining (so get off thine arse and do something about it.)

So, if we can all take something away from this little episode, good things could potentially happen. There's enough case studies and histories on this thread to indicate that if you decide to have a go at things, and pester poeple and make your voice heard, eventually people take notice. It might not be in the way you expect (or want) but it's better than nothing.

And it's all god fun, isn't it?

Hooray for music!

i totally agree, you deserve a medal!!!!!! ha ha

I think bands should invest more time and effort into promotiing themselves and getting crowds to their gigs and people interested in their music. Alot of bands rest on their laurels(sp) and just expect their friends to keep turning up listening to the same set in a different venue in town every other week. They leave all promotion to the promoter concerned and then moan if it's a shit turnout.

The exception to this seems to be out-of-town bands who look to promote themselves. Speaking to Paige yesterday at my gig, they arrived in Aberdeen about 1pm and set about wandering around town, flyers in hand, speaking to people and trying to get them interested in going to the gig. Why can't local bands do this? It doesn't take more than each member spending maybe about an hour each one day and doing the same.

some bands have dignity rather than chasing kids with shit haircuts down the street though

if you are good enough and you are doing something interesting, playing the right gigs etc the people you wish to hear your music will eventually hear it

it all comes back to people and what they want to do with music. some will bollock people for not "getting out there" but a lot of people are not interested in doing that.

if a band who werent signed to a "proper label" with guaranteed salaries and royalties became the most important thing in my life I would be miserable. Im pretty happy just mulling along (musically that is), playing gigs, doing the odd tour here and there and having lots of fun - that is the most important thing about being in a band for me (and probably a large amount of others).

as for aberdeens music scene, it is no better or worse than most other places (except for leeds :D). people need to stop worrying about it and do what they want to do. some periods are better than others and this will always come and go with music trends, fads and fashions.

three options

a) embrace it

b) distinguish yourselves

c) not give a flying fuck about others and worry about yourself and what you are happy doing

you lot think you lot have a shit music scene, you should try Dundee sometime. its pretty hard to break even on touring band gigs with guarantees of 150. hence why I refuse to do any shows with guarantees. But instead of whinging about it like a broken record, I get on with it and do things my way (which is always in the interests of the bands!) or dont do em at all.

you respect 'everyone's' opinion of the band (even those who haven't seen them), yet the only opinion you don't respect is the one who has actually seen the band and commented?

strange way of looking at things...

ah well...best of luck with that...

(this may or may not have been mentioned already - haven't backtracked through the thread lately)

i was just curious, how long did you stay and watch the band for?

you don't have to see a band to have an opinion. just a brief listen on myspace is enough for me to know whether i like something or not. and i must state that i am not making any suggestions over whether i like erotic fire or not... i haven't listened to them.

just because people don't like erotic fire doesn't mean you have to try and force them!

as far as i can see the point of this thread is not about erotic fire, but how they got themselves in the paper.

personally i sometimes think that it's up to the individual person to search out the gigs they want to go and see. makes it fun!! especially little gigs with only 10 people when you know that the band could do potentially good things!! =]

not long enough to judge them then. just what i thought. yeah, carry on.

ive got my point across!

What are you on about? Most people can 'judge' a band they are watching within half a song. Sometimes sets get better/worse as they go on, but erotic fire are a rock band, and song by song isnt going to differ widly.....so even if he watched them for 20 seconds his opinion is valid.

They leave all promotion to the promoter concerned and then moan if it's a shit turnout.

Fuckingffsffdsdfas! A promoter PROMOTES. If he doesn't do it right, I'd say the band are well within their rights to have a moan - if the problem is solely because nobody knew the gig was happening.

The band doesn't expect the promoter to get onstage and play drums for them and the promoter shouldn't expect the band to go out pan handling for people to play to.

Someone should start a good, proper 'zine dedicated to local bands.:popcorn:

Just this month we started a Dirty Hearts Club fanzine which will be highlighting all the bands playing every month. Although this is limited to the DHC line-ups, it's a start.

Then there's the Fudge Fanzine (ok ,not regular but it's there...sometimes), not to mention Snafu Mag which does have the odd feature on local bands. None of these are stricly local content but there are opportunities for local bands to get themselves out there.

not long enough to judge them then. just what i thought. yeah, carry on.

ive got my point across!

How long do you reckon we have to listen to them to judge them? Is there a minimum time scale involved?

Will you accept people's opinions if they don't like them?

Have you been listening to them too much? Maybe they've just battered you into submission.

To be fair, its a bit harsh on this band. I know nothing about them but if it was their first gig its a bit early for everyone to be saying theyre shit. Id imagine most bands arent amazing first gig and all that.

As for the Evening Express, having been involved in getting 10 Easy Wishes coverage, they are generally pretty nice peole to deal with. If you ask them to feature something they will do their best, ie why Marie-Clare Jones has been to two of their gigs, did an article on their single lauch and went to the bother of doing a photo shoot for this too out of town.

I think if bands generally made more effort to get on with them then theyd prob help!

Im not saying their coverage is great, its limited, but to be fair the average reader of that particular paper isnt really all that much the target of local bands. How many 16-22 year olds or whatever read this? They are run by a pretty big company who is only interested in selling units and so have to feature articles of interest to their target. It would be like NME or whatever other crappy music mag having an artcile on an old lady being run down by a First Aberdeen bus or something.

Just this week though in their five things you must do was the battle of the bands thing at the tunnels, and some other live music event which escapes me now. I guarentee if you get in touch with them they will do their best to help.