aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Journals and local music

Chris

Flicking through the Evening Express just now and I spotted the following quarter page article (with large photo) in the middle of it:

this is aberdeen - news, entertainment, jobs, homes and cars

Now aside from the fact that they have one of the worst band names I've ever heard, how in the fuck can this be considered news worthy? A local band, who have only played 1 gig so far (and "filled the dancefloor" because it was their first gig, like every band does. You'd have to be truly shit for your family and friends not to go to your first gig), recruit a schoolboy drummer and it makes it into the news?

Which member of the band works for Aberdeen Journals and wrote the article?

Fuck's sake, they even put it in the P&J as well:

this is north scotland - news, entertainment, jobs, homes and cars

What a joke.

They ignore local music except for the odd gig listing and when they do mention a local band it's pish like this.

Guest Steven Dedalus

Ok...I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

Are the replies in this thread about the fact that the press ocverage of local music is appaling

or...

Is it just sour grapes that some band that no-one has heard of or likes made the papers, and none of 'us' did?

I haven't bothered listening to the band (and I'm not planning on it), but fair play to them for getting a bit of coverage. And if it turns out they're in some way connected to the journalist, who cares - that's the way the media works.

I'm not saying any of this is right, but I am suggesting that there's an awful lot of unwarranted bitchyness in this threa. If the band are just pure garbage, and people don't like them, fair enough. But if we're just slagging off other people's acheivements because it didn't happen to us, then I think a long, hard look at ourselves needs to be taken.

That said, they do look rubbish, and this is local news reporting of the worst kind.

i'm in it for reason number 1. i've not listened to the band and don't care if they're good or bad. but i have always maintained that aberdeen journals need to step up their coverage of the music scene in aberdeen if it's to progress. it needs new people getting involved all year round not just every september and should get proper critical coverage not just fawning quarter page articles written by the cousin of the band or something.

Ok...I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

Are the replies in this thread about the fact that the press ocverage of local music is appaling

or...

Is it just sour grapes that some band that no-one has heard of or likes made the papers, and none of 'us' did?

I haven't bothered listening to the band (and I'm not planning on it), but fair play to them for getting a bit of coverage. And if it turns out they're in some way connected to the journalist, who cares - that's the way the media works.

I'm not saying any of this is right, but I am suggesting that there's an awful lot of unwarranted bitchyness in this threa. If the band are just pure garbage, and people don't like them, fair enough. But if we're just slagging off other people's acheivements because it didn't happen to us, then I think a long, hard look at ourselves needs to be taken.

That said, they do look rubbish, and this is local news reporting of the worst kind.

It is a bit bitchy... but they are, in my opinion, awful!

I don't think its sour grapes as I don't believe anyone in any half decent band would want that type of pointless press about how there drummer is still at school!

The fact the the EE and the P&J find it worthy to print is quite embarrassing.

i'm in it for reason number 1. i've not listened to the band and don't care if they're good or bad. but i have always maintained that aberdeen journals need to step up their coverage of the music scene in aberdeen if it's to progress. it needs new people getting involved all year round not just every september and should get proper critical coverage not just fawning quarter page articles written by the cousin of the band or something.

here here.

I agree with that. You can't complain about what is being printed, because they can print whatever the hell they like. On the other side, what isn't being printed is an entirely different argument irrespective of this article - this article doesn't exist in place of an article about, say, Black Atom.

Listening to their music, they seem much more likely than any of you guys to be in the Evening Express. A local 15 year old joining much older people in a rock band is more interesting to old women than the new Hot Mangu release.

Someone should start a good, proper 'zine dedicated to local bands.:popcorn:

Guest Steven Dedalus

From my time in the city, I'll always have to agree with Dave Officer: There could have been much better coverage of what was (at that time, certainly) a vibrant and thriving music community.

Over here in Belfast, we are blessed with impressive local music coverage (far outstippring the quality of the output, in my humble opinion...), our own dedicated music magazine, radio play, tv coverage, etc. Aberdeen deserves this, and I can't think of one good reason why it isn't happening.

Yes, the Aberdeen media is terrible at covering local music, but it's important to recognise, as Kimy Reizeger has pointed out, it ain't like these guys are stealing column inches from Eric Euan or whoever...if this is how the local media percieve interest in local music, then surely it's up to musicians to get off their collective arse and do something about it.

And on a final point, whilst it's entirely likely that these articles are further examples of nepotism within the media, it's just as plausible that they just got in contact with the papers and said, "here, we've got a nice wee human interest story for you." and the papers went with that angle. Possibly cos it was a slow news day or something. Or maybe they just thought it was cute. Either way, Erotic Fire got in the papers and (insert band name here) didn't.

If you want to get into the papers, you can do a lot worse than getting in touch with them.

it would be interesting to see how many of the good, talented bands actually bother to contact the EE/PJ when they are doing something

I seem to find that most of the good bands tend not to blow their own trumpet, whereas the erm not so good ones will easily rattle off all day about how they sold out the tunnels at a "HEADLINE show", won some battle of the bands or sold 12 copies of their cdr in one up that week.

each to their own etc, but no point in feeling hard done by if you actually dont contact them in the first place. these journos aint going to be aware of what is happening in the local music scene because they have bigger fish to fry (such as "cat rescued from burning tree" type stories) and you will more likely get something published if you send them a decent press release that warrants little editing at the right time

If you want to get into the papers, you can do a lot worse than getting in touch with them.

Here, here. You can complain all you want about the lack of press coverage the music scene here gets, but how many of you bands and artists out there actually contact these people and sell yourselves? The press aren't obliged to give you coverage - it's up to you to get their attention.

I notice on that particular band's Bebo page they have a promoter behind them and it looks like she is at least having some success. If only other local bands had the same level of initiative...

It is a bit of a vicious cycle really. Because bands such as Erotic Fire get coverage from the local papers, none of the better acts want the same, in fear of associating themselves with aforementioned pap. Therefore, only crap bands get write ups.

I don't feel it's fair to conclude that all the other bands are lacking in initiative.

Like taking local websites to "the people's court" to get their name on TV...

Exactly! :)

But seriously, when that was all announced I gave the P&J a quick call and they were more than happy to put a small article in the paper about it, thus giving the web site (and the band) some more publicity.

Exactly! :)

But seriously, when that was all announced I gave the P&J a quick call and they were more than happy to put a small article in the paper about it, thus giving the web site (and the band) some more publicity.

Which band was that again? (I guess the publicity stunt didn't work that well as I watched the program and I can't remember)

Guest Steven Dedalus
Like taking local websites to "the people's court" to get their name on TV...

I was wondering how long it would take before that came up!

But it's true enough, that did more publicity for them than anything they could have managed on their own, and they (sort of) did it off their own back.

(not that I'm in any way trying to justify that particular incident....jeez! What a mess...)

The lesson is: If you think your band is good, tell people about it, and be prepared for a slagging. You never know, some people might agree with you.

If you're not ready for that, just enjoy obscurity, and playing gigs to no-one, in your own bedroom. By yourself.

Erm...like I did.