aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Journals and local music

Chris

That's it in a nutshell. Does anyone actually WANT to get a mention in the local shitrags? Not that I ever expect to, but if they approached me I'd tell them to fuck off on principle. Whenever I see a band get coverage in the local press, I cringe with embarrassment for them. Even worse is getting coverage on North Tonight, it's the automatic kiss of death in terms of credibility. Fuck it, who needs them anyway? Bollocks.

:up:

I hear you. The brutal fact of the matter is that nobody from Aberdeen Journals really gives a shit about local music. There's scope to have some sort of dedicated pull-out, with reviews of local gigs, etc but the all you ever get is the typical pishing write-ups about whichever wanky indie-poppers happen to have been playing at the AECC that month.

The fact is, that any band that's become remotely "popular" amongst the gig-going population of Aberdeen hasn't needed the help of the press. So, raise my glass to the sentiment, "Fuck it, who needs them anyway?"

Guest Steven Dedalus

The fact is, that any band that's become remotely "popular" amongst the gig-going population of Aberdeen hasn't needed the help of the press. So, raise my glass to the sentiment, "Fuck it, who needs them anyway?"

Good call.

We've had loads of Aberdeen bands, coming over here on tours, tearing things up, and making waves all over the UK.

Oh yeah.

Not one band form Aberdeen has made any signifigant impact outside of the North East for about 10 years.

Fair play to y'all for enjoying your wee ghetto so much.

I'm not just trying to be argumentative, but this attitude is one of the major factors holding everyone back. There's this concentrated effort to remain small that has prevented anyone from putting the city on the musical map, where it so dearly belongs.

Some of the best live bands I have ever seen (and I mean EVER) came from Aberdeen. But they never amounted to anything at all, due to a combination of bad fortune, circumstances, and - most importantly - a lack of desire to have any status outside of their own circle of friends.

Now before anyone has a go at me, I'm not referring to everyone in these statements, and I'm not trying to represent every potential point of view. There are rocking bands out there who work damn hard to do what they do, and are reaching people in ways that are really good.

However, there's a whole world out there that a lot of people seem afraid to touch, and some of the opinions reflected on this thread (and others) seem to suggest that the musical population of Aberdeen are quite happy to stay in Aberdeen, thankyouverymuch.

The reason this annoys me so much is that the standard of music and perfroming in Aberdeen was absolutely world beating (certainly the last time I was up). I just can't bear to see great bands change people's lives on the small scale, and then never bother to do anything with it, and then go on places like this and whine and moan and whinge about it.

It's a waste of time and talent.

I saw bands in that city that absoultely changed my life and the way I look at things. I know for a fact that if some of them had bothered to pull the finger out a bit, play outside the city, and be prepared to do little things like contact the press and try to create a little bit of exceitment about their music, then they wouldn't be working in Tescos or Superdrug now.

Once again, I'm issuing a disclaimer that I'm not having a go at the person I quoted, but I'm having a go at the malaise that the quote represents.

Ach, I really feel like I'm wasting my breath, so I'll shut up.

Good call.

We've had loads of Aberdeen bands, coming over here on tours, tearing things up, and making waves all over the UK.

Ach, I really feel like I'm wasting my breath, so I'll shut up.

Keep going, you're spot on. It's horrible getting out and about in other towns and seeing the shite that plays there, when you know that there are so many Aberdeen bands that would blow them away if they could just pull the finger out. It's not hard...

"But we've had tunes up on Myspace for ages, and still the A&R people won't bother coming to see us" - bollocks. Mountain/Mohammed.

"But we've had tunes up on Myspace for ages, and still the A&R people won't bother coming to see us" - bollocks.

qft, I don't like this moaning about lack of attention from the local press, it leads me down an avenue of thought which results in the conclusion that these people are only in a band in the first place because they are massive attention-whores.

Anyone who is genuinely outraged at the fact the P&J won't do a column/insert/article about their "act" or their "scene" needs to stop whining and make the scene speak for itself, instead of adopting this pathetic passive attitude like spoilt children who are suddenly discovering that even though their mum will give them a standing ovation, nobody in the real world gives a fuck.

qft, I don't like this moaning about lack of attention from the local press, it leads me down an avenue of thought which results in the conclusion that these people are only in a band in the first place because they are massive attention-whores.

Anyone who is genuinely outraged at the fact the P&J won't do a column/insert/article about their "act" or their "scene" needs to stop whining and make the scene speak for itself, instead of adopting this pathetic passive attitude like spoilt children who are suddenly discovering that even though their mum will give them a standing ovation, nobody in the real world gives a fuck.

bravo! applause!

correct

Guest Steven Dedalus

The man speaks the truth.

To be fair though, people are moaning about OTHER bands not getting recognition from the press rather than their own.

Bands can still make it without the local papers getting involved. They just need to pull their finger out.

fo sho, any band in aberdeen that has acheived any success has worked fucking hard at it with my minds weapon and copy haho being prime examples.

however that doesn't mean that we should ignore the fact that aberdeen journals do almost fuck all to support and cover music in aberdeen. i couldn't give a shit if any band i'm involved in gets covered by the p and j or becomes famous. not because i'm holier than thou or diy till i die or any of that shit but just because music is a hobby for me and i don't want it to take up a huge amount of my time. but there's a lot could be done in aberdeen if the whole city was pulling in the same direction. as aberdeen journals reach someone in almost every home in the northeast it would be stupid to dismiss them and say the music scene in aberdeen couldn't use that kind of coverage.

all it would take is a page. one page of news, interviews and reviews a week of purely local music acts. just to try it and see how it goes. a proper critical page which provokes discussion and interest not just "black atom played a gig and they were ace. they played all their bestest songs and everyone left smiling and happy".

of course you don't need them to be successful but the more interest and diversity in the scene the more interesting it all is. otherwise it's just a bunch of snobby music geeks arguing amongst themselves and repeating the same stupid threads over and over and over again getting fucking nowhere.

and before any smartarse chips in and suggests i get off my arse and do something about it i've tried, damnit i've tried. i've written letters and harrassed them. i've been involved in organisations who were trying to do get support for charitable music events in aberdeen and gotten nothing from them. i've been in bands and tried to get coverage. i've promoted club nights and tried to get coverage. i've spoken to numerous reporters who work for them and at the end of the day they just don't give a fuck(the bosses, not the reporters as they generally did seem interested). they are and shall forever always be a provincial little gossip rag until they start showing some initiative. aren't they meant to be journalists? how hard is it to pick two local gigs a week to go and review?

at least original 106 are doing something but that's helped by some genuine enthusiasm for what's happening in aberdeen on their part.

as aberdeen journals reach someone in almost every home in the northeast it would be stupid to dismiss them and say the music scene in aberdeen couldn't use that kind of coverage.

to be honest, the kind of people who read the P&j and EE and the courier etc are not really the kind of people you want to reach anyway are they?

to be honest, the kind of people who read the P&j and EE and the courier etc are not really the kind of people you want to reach anyway are they?

You mean people who aren't so up themselves to think they're above keeping up to date with local news? Personally, I like knowing which of my former classmates are in court this week :up:

not everyone who reads these papers are idiots. do you ever buy them for the jobs sections or to read while eating a sandwhich at lunchtime?

anyway, there is obviously going to be a large portion of people who read aberdeen journals output who have an interest in music. it doesn't have to be the same music i'm interested in, i'm not suggesting that they cover only music i like. it's all a start and if it gets more people coming to gigs and forming bands then more people outside of aberdeen might take notice and it'll be easier to get decent gigs or press out of town. no matter why you're in a band you don't want to play to an empty venue.

obviously i understand the point that they're under no obligation to cover local music but you'd think that there's a market for it and that it would be the kind of thing which could sell papers and get more popular as the scene grows and gets more interesting(which lets face it, hasn't been happening for a while. we be in a rut just now but hopefully that's passing). i also get that we should force them to take notice by doing stuff off our own backs and of course people should still strive to acheive all they want to acheive through working their arses off in the first place but is it too much to ask that the local press get behind the local part of an industry worth billions of pounds to the national economy?

not everyone who reads these papers are idiots. do you ever buy them for the jobs sections or to read while eating a sandwhich at lunchtime?

anyway, there is obviously going to be a large portion of people who read aberdeen journals output who have an interest in music. it doesn't have to be the same music i'm interested in, i'm not suggesting that they cover only music i like. it's all a start and if it gets more people coming to gigs and forming bands then more people outside of aberdeen might take notice and it'll be easier to get decent gigs or press out of town. no matter why you're in a band you don't want to play to an empty venue.

obviously i understand the point that they're under no obligation to cover local music but you'd think that there's a market for it and that it would be the kind of thing which could sell papers and get more popular as the scene grows and gets more interesting(which lets face it, hasn't been happening for a while. we be in a rut just now but hopefully that's passing). i also get that we should force them to take notice by doing stuff off our own backs and of course people should still strive to acheive all they want to acheive through working their arses off in the first place but is it too much to ask that the local press get behind the local part of an industry worth billions of pounds to the national economy?

Honestly this is all fantasy which is based on the extremely shaky premise that there is something worth covering in aberdeen in the first place.

The local press don't give a damn about your so-called music scene, a 2 page spread in the EE about "whats going down in the tunnels" will not get people going down there, so why worry about it? Why does the locality of the music even matter, is it because you know you have a captive audience of thick people here and can guarantee you will sell enough tickets in order to pay for the drinks you require to see yourself through the sordid affair of flaunting your egos on stage?

Fuck the local scene, if you are worried about how many people will turn up at your gig or if the EE will do a piece on it, kill yourself. If your mindset is that small that you actually care about this crap on such a small level I really don't understand why you are involved in this in the first place.

I would like to add by the way, that the tunnels is run by deeply ignorant, unprofessional fuckwits and as a consequence, it's a huge embarassment to the "scene".

Agreed...

The majority of readers of said publications are probably not 'the' target audience. I would think those that are scanning any music news sections, local or otherwise, will have a darn good idea of what is going on before it was 'reported in the local press. The local press has a purpose to some extent and this is to show aunty Irene and uncle Dod that their directionless niece, or nephew, is famous and Pop Idol or Britains Got Talent is only round the corner.

Out of the two main publications the lesser of two evils is the PnJ if only for the fact that it has the occasional and rare arts review as well as being a little less daily mail.

Honestly this is all fantasy which is based on the extremely shaky premise that there is something worth covering in aberdeen in the first place.

The local press don't give a damn about your so-called music scene, a 2 page spread in the EE about "whats going down in the tunnels" will not get people going down there, so why worry about it? Why does the locality of the music even matter, is it because you know you have a captive audience of thick people here and can guarantee you will sell enough tickets in order to pay for the drinks you require to see yourself through the sordid affair of flaunting your egos on stage?

Fuck the local scene, if you are worried about how many people will turn up at your gig or if the EE will do a piece on it, kill yourself. If your mindset is that small that you actually care about this crap on such a small level I really don't understand why you are involved in this in the first place.

I would like to add by the way, that the tunnels is run by deeply ignorant, unprofessional fuckwits and as a consequence, it's a huge embarassment to the "scene".

nope, i disagree. i can't see how the most popular papers in the area writing about gigs will not lead to an increase in interest and attendance of gigs in general. i also disagree with this idea that those who are interested will find out about it themselves(not your point but twojoes). lots of people would love to get involved even if it just means getting along to gigs but have no idea where to start or how to find out about them. but i'll concentrate on your points in this post.

firstly the tunnels has little to do with this thread so don't know why you've brought that up.

secondly, why do you make music and put it online for people to hear? why do you make your music available for other people to hear at all? you're as guilty of flaunting your frankly larger than average ego as any 'band' who plays live.

and i don't get why you're attacking my reasoning for caring about this place. we already know you have a bizarre self-denial thing going on with living up here but i don't know why you have to try and transfer that to anyone who has an interest or who is actually happy in the north-east of scotland and wants to further the music up here. it's been said before but it's always worth saying again, if you're so distraught by absolutley everything up here why stay here? why keep posting on this site? i really don't understand what you can get from the experience.

your first point is actually quite good though. it is a fantasy. i'm not so stupid that i don't realise that. the only way it could be made real is if there was more support and attention from the council and the media in the north-east. and if people start making better music. :)

Agreed...

The majority of readers of said publications are probably not 'the' target audience. I would think those that are scanning any music news sections, local or otherwise, will have a darn good idea of what is going on before it was 'reported in the local press. The local press has a purpose to some extent and this is to show aunty Irene and uncle Dod that their directionless niece, or nephew, is famous and Pop Idol or Britains Got Talent is only round the corner.

Out of the two main publications the lesser of two evils is the PnJ if only for the fact that it has the occasional and rare arts review as well as being a little less daily mail.

nah, i disagree. they have a frankly huge readership and there are tons of people who are interested in music on a smaller scale and have no idea how to get involved. surely if there's a chance to get more people interested and involved regardless of what they're into then we should try it! to say that they're not the kind of people we want involved is hugely snobbish and elitist. or maybe i'm just naive.