aberdeen-music

Drum N Bass

Lemonade

I blatantly do, I don't need to have heard anything in particular to know Pendulum is good DnB, you seem to think just because you're a "DnB head" your opinion is like fact.

No, you are in no position to say wether pendulum is good dnb or not unless you know the past and understand the context they exist in. Yes you like their stuff, good for you, but you are obviously in no position to say wether its good dnb or not since you clearly know fuck all about the genre.

No, you are in no position to say wether pendulum is good dnb or not unless you know the past and understand the context they exist in. Yes you like their stuff, good for you, but you are obviously in no position to say wether its good dnb or not since you clearly know fuck all about the genre.

I have heard several styles of DnB, old and new, but maybe you do know more about it than me. I don't think that makes me wrong, it seems a bit of a strange idea that after hearing a certain amount of DnB I will inevitably stop enjoying Pendulum.

Just face it, they're good at what they do and that is DnB. They just play a subgenre that you call "pathetic cartoon-like bullshit" and you happen to dislike them. Since you know so much about DnB perhaps you'd like to name a better artist of this style.

Just face it, they're good at what they do and that is DnB. They just play a subgenre that you call "pathetic cartoon-like bullshit" and you happen to dislike them. Since you know so much about DnB perhaps you'd like to name a better artist of this style.

That "subgenre" is called clownstep, and it's called clownstep for a reason. Go figure it out.

Its Called Fucking Jungle, I disliked the term Drum n Bass since I heard it. The term Jungle's appropriation of the detractors nomenclature a) follows a historical pattern ("cor sounds like jungle music" being a racist description of just about all black music since the blues and jazz were first codified) and b) says fuck off, we are going to rearrange your synapses and your bowels simultaneously. So in being renamed Drum n Bass, there is a desire to sanitise the dread side of the bass in favour of sophisticrat smoothness. Call it what you want, I think its Jungle.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Since you don't know anything about DNB all your comment really says is that you go on 17 year old girls' myspaces.

well i don't want to pretend to be some sort of dnb 'hed' because i won't be able to recommend the good people of aberdeen-music anything outside of the dnb & jungle tapes i've been listening to for the past 10 years, but if you're going to describe a pendulum release as 'essential listening' of the genre, you're obviously a fuckwit who probably first heard this kind of stuff about 6 months ago.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

to reiterate, pendulum is moronic shit with shitty drum sounds and corny synths that sound like they're using presets from a microkorg, and is basically the dnb equivelant of albums like 'celtic trance anthems' with 'nn-tss nn-tss' mixes of Flower Of Scotland and stuff, yet somehow credible to the masses

You guys are stuck in the past, the sound of DnB is evolving, think of it like when Bob Dylan started using electric guitars.

It's called clownstep because it puts the image of a dancing clown in your head, which is different to what "DnB heads" want, or are used to. It's still good DnB, nae luck if they're defacing the image of your beloved genre.

I've yet to see anyone mention a better artist of the same style as Pendulum, it seems that's because nobody can do it as well as they do.

It's called clownstep because it puts the image of a dancing clown in your head, which is different to what "DnB heads" want, or are used to. It's still good DnB, nae luck if they're defacing the image of your beloved genre.

It puts images in my head of neo-nazis bumping around against each other in a barn somewhere.

That or the Priory in an adventurous moment. Same thing really. It doesn't sound like any other DnB I've heard, in that the beats seem far less busy.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

that's because it's one beat, looped for 5 minutes, there is no thought into it, and the drums sound like stock midi samples that you find on a yamaha school music department keyboard

edit, this was a reply to kimy

You guys are stuck in the past, the sound of DnB is evolving, think of it like when Bob Dylan started using electric guitars.

I've yet to see anyone mention a better artist of the same style as Pendulum, it seems that's because nobody can do it as well as they do.

You have no idea what you're talking about and how utterly ridiculous you sound coming out with that uninformed pish.

• 1 year later...

Bump! Hope it's better to recycle old threads than start new ones. Anyway, any d'n'b heads out there still? I've been buying/listening recently to:

EVOL Intent - Era of Diversion

Black Sun Empire - Driving Insane (that's a bit older)

Ed Rush & Optical - Travel The Galaxy

London Elektricity - Syncopated City

The Noisia and Sub Focus albums should be out soon. Quite like Timewarp. Bwaaapwapwapwaapdadadididida... wobble wobble... er... well, it's still better than Pendulum. Anyone like Pendulum???

YouTube - Rascal & Klone - Promises

This tune is a bit repetitive (typical of DJ Hazard), but the video is classic:

er... well' date=' it's still better than Pendulum. Anyone like Pendulum???[/quote']

I know Pendulum bashing is the current popular thing if you like dnb, and while In Silico is one of the shittest albums of all time, Hold Your Colour is fucking amazing (except Slam, so sick of that song).