aberdeen-music

do/would people still buy tapes?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Tapes are ace! I still occasionally buy them because they're fucking cheap - got a few queers albums a couple of years ago for $2 each directly from lookout records, 2 dollars! Anyway, would you guys buy more tapes if they were available and cheap? They're really cheap to press and i'd totally consider doing some tape releases if people were interested...

Guest Tam o' Shantie

vinyl is shockingly expensive to press though :( could get a run of 500 tapes pressed for under 300 quid, it'd be perfect for some split releases or whatever.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

but cd-rs fucking suck. tapes are ace, and these would be proper tapes with on body printing and full colour glossy inserts etc. CDs aren't cheap to purchase really, compared to the cost of pressing tapes, and therefore the final retail value of the tapes. Plus, as far as i know chrome tape these days is great quality and if you take good care of tapes they stay sounding great.

Originally posted by Sky:

I haven't owned a tape or a tape deck in my life, and I swore that I never would. Whilst most probably wouldn't take such a principled stance on it, people generally prefer CDs. They're cheap, efficient and of higher quality than a cassette.

As for vinyl, whilst I appreciate the tactile nature of it, and find it very aesthetically pleasing, I'm still not convinced that it's superior to a CDfor a start, there's the capacity issue (about 50 minutes seems to be the limit for a 12"), and the quality isn't as high as a CDs. Of course, I'm side-stepping the whole warmth argument, but if you want your recording to sound warm, that's more down to production than format.

When you factor into it the cost effectiveness of CDR releases, there really is no contest.

Vinyl sounds better than CD - end of story!! My record player cost about half the price of my CD player, and the vinyl just sounds so much better. The warmth in the sound isn't just down to production. Listen to the same recording through the same system on CD and vinyl and you will notice the difference.

Even properly pressed CD's have a short life expectancy when compared to vinyl, I mean records from the 20's/30's are still playable...can't say that about any other formats....these records will also probably play in another 80 years time too.....you just need to take more care of records...at least a scratched record can play over a scratch withe aid of a 2p on the head of the pick up arm...CD's get stuck in that constant milisecond loop which is soooo pissing annoying....as for portability...ahem, enter the cassette :dunce:

Guest Tam o' Shantie

cool, once my finances pick up i'll be looking to do a series of tapes from various UK bands...the tapes will all feature bonus/unreleased tracks, feature exclusive artwork and the tapes themselves will come in various colours! They will cost fuck all! I like my plan.

I still love tapes - I've bought quite a few from One Up's second hand bit over the years as they're cheap and my CD player skips a lot when I'm on the move so making up mixtapes is a secret love of mine :love:

Making up mix CDs is way less satisfying than tapes - you have to put a lot more effort into making them and tapes just generally rule. Go tapes! :up:

Pre recorded tapes were always a pain - sometimes good quality sometimes very poor. I've not bought a pre recorded tape since the 80s ! Too many bad experiences.

Blank tapes, the decent chrome / heavier duty ones are nice and handy for making back up copies of vinyl albums or making your own compilations etc. Easy to carry, copy and cheapish. The sound quality is not perfect but who has perfect ears.....

Dave

tapes are ace if you like all the songs on them cos otherwise you have to spend ages fast forwarding through the ones you dont like. obviously then a 10EW tape would be ace cos no fast forwarding would be required (yes yes Im such a suckass!) also, i taped some 10EW tracks from Ewan's CDs and the tape's just buggered, so i will be requiring a new one!!!!

Originally posted by Sky:

...and the quality isn't as high as a CDs.

that's not true, If I remember correctly, you can get a wider range of frequencies on vynil. anyway, vynil does sound better than a CD anyday, far warmer and lively...

don't tell me you can't hear the difference !

peep