aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller's still rubbish though.

Couldn't disagree more. I think his touch and link-up play are as good as virtually anyone else's in the SPL, and he wins a hell of a lot in the air (and uses it as effectively as can be expected given the lack of support he gets and the generally piss-poor movement of his partners). I also think he works very hard. I know that goes against what most folk seem to say; but I think people tend to be misled by the fact that he's slow and has positional sense. Basically, he's nae Darren Mackie.

Oh, and he scored against United.

Couldn't disagree more. I think his touch and link-up play are as good as virtually anyone else's in the SPL, and he wins a hell of a lot in the air (and uses it as effectively as can be expected given the lack of support he gets and the generally piss-poor movement of his partners). I also think he works very hard. I know that goes against what most folk seem to say; but I think people tend to be mislead by the fact that he's slow and has positional sense. Basically, he's nae Darren Mackie.

+1 couldn't agree more

Couldn't disagree more. I think his touch and link-up play are as good as virtually anyone else's in the SPL, and he wins a hell of a lot in the air (and uses it as effectively as can be expected given the lack of support he gets and the generally piss-poor movement of his partners). I also think he works very hard. I know that goes against what most folk seem to say; but I think people tend to be misled by the fact that he's slow and has positional sense. Basically, he's nae Darren Mackie.

Aye...:up:

Just back from Madrid. Magic time apart from the Dons game! Had to dodge some flares on the way in, pretty horrible stuff. Embarrassed by quite a few Dons fans around the city who epitomised the thick, drunk, obnoxious Brit abroad. Thought the game and atmosphere were pretty shit. Gutted I missed the Hibs game!

Went to the Bernabeu last night to see Real beat Racing Santander 3-1. Robhinho's 7 keepy ups across the middle of the pitch restored my faith in football. A fantastic experience.

Didn't get hurt on Thurs night but I do strangely feel like I've been absolutely battered....

Offshore the mo so i missed the Hibs game, however i seen the last 20 mins on the box, and can't believe how they performed. Thats the way they played against Utd, but better, if we played like that week in week out we would be right up there. Lets hope JC keeps the same team against Killie, well apart from maybe Diamond if he's fit!!

Cant wait to go to that yin!!

He's a goalscorer that can't score goals. Anytime he gets the ball, he'll stand with it until someone tackles him or he'll knock it wide. Playing him up front himself is a ridiculous tactic that is shown in their poor record this season.

He's a goalscorer that can't score goals. Anytime he gets the ball, he'll stand with it until someone tackles him or he'll knock it wide. Playing him up front himself is a ridiculous tactic that is shown in their poor record this season.

I'm sure I saw his head on the end of a cross that resulted in a goal on Saturday. Granted he doesn't have a big goal average but he is tireless in his desire to create chances, get the ball and lay it off for others. He hasn't had support with the same desire most of the season. He learned a helluva lot from Brewster and is using it to increasing effect this season.

I'm a fan of the big lumbering chap:up:

lee miller showed at hearts that he can bang them in every week, its just a case of getting decent service into him, as was shown yesterday with clarks cross.

one of our best players just now imo, coming onto a decent game since brewster left :)

.... and to think we got him for free off the jutes :D

its just a case of getting decent service into him, as was shown yesterday with clarks cross.

To be fair, from the way it looked when I saw the goal on TV this morning a blind man could scored from where Miller connected with Clark's cross. It wasn't exactly the hardest chance he's ever going to convert.

Earlier in the season I slagged Miller off, peaking in his dire performance in the home leg against Dnipro. But he's improved a lot since then, not least with his workrate and consistency. Hope he keeps it up.

Guest idol_wild

I don't think it takes a genius to realise that Lee Miller has a lot to offer Aberdeen. His ability in the air is crucial to us - he wins the vast majority of headers he goes up for, even when his marker is the favourite to win it. But as already mentioned, we don't have the players with sufficient positional sense and movement off the ball to take advantage of Miller's style. He has no foil. Mackie has all the attributes to be the perfect foil, but he's a confidence player who we can't rely on game in, game out.

What galls me the most about Lee Miller's critics is when they suggest he's lazy. He's not at all. Whenever he plays, he's our target man. And the key to using a system deploying a target man is for that man to always be in a specific area of the pitch, in accordance to where the ball is. So that when we acquire possession, the player with the ball knows almost exactly where Lee Miller will be, so a quick ball can be played into that area or 'zone'. However, if Lee Miller is running around and pressing the entire backline of our opponents, he'll be dragged out of that 'zone' all the time. So any quick balls pumped into that area will be futile because he won't be there. Well, that's my understanding of how a system based on a target man works, anyway.

He'll probably be our top scorer this season.

To be fair, from the way it looked when I saw the goal on TV this morning a blind man could scored from where Miller connected with Clark's cross. It wasn't exactly the hardest chance he's ever going to convert.

Earlier in the season I slagged Miller off, peaking in his dire performance in the home leg against Dnipro. But he's improved a lot since then, not least with his workrate and consistency. Hope he keeps it up.

It looked effortless because it was. Which says a lot about Millers ability and timing. I for one am always impressed when headers fly into the net. Running, jumping then heading a round object traveling at speed on target... Skill! I can barely hit a ball sitting still on the ground.

More of the same please!:up:

ok so it looked easy but lets face it aberdeen rarely make football look easy and it was a joy to watch :D

decent service = goals, its not rocket science

I don't think it takes a genius to realise that Lee Miller has a lot to offer Aberdeen. His ability in the air is crucial to us - he wins the vast majority of headers he goes up for, even when his marker is the favourite to win it. But as already mentioned, we don't have the players with sufficient positional sense and movement off the ball to take advantage of Miller's style. He has no foil. Mackie has all the attributes to be the perfect foil, but he's a confidence player who we can't rely on game in, game out.

What galls me the most about Lee Miller's critics is when they suggest he's lazy. He's not at all. Whenever he plays, he's our target man. And the key to using a system deploying a target man is for that man to always be in a specific area of the pitch, in accordance to where the ball is. So that when we acquire possession, the player with the ball knows almost exactly where Lee Miller will be, so a quick ball can be played into that area or 'zone'. However, if Lee Miller is running around and pressing the entire backline of our opponents, he'll be dragged out of that 'zone' all the time. So any quick balls pumped into that area will be futile because he won't be there. Well, that's my understanding of how a system based on a target man works, anyway.

He'll probably be our top scorer this season.

"Miller you lazy fucking cunt, fucking close him down!!"