aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

Game was alright the other night. Got lost trying to find the car on the way out, taht was amusing. Miller is good for holding hte ball up and winning headers off the long balls we continusously punt forward but he needs someone to be running off him. Dare i say it, we are missing Darren Mackie.

If the intention is to have the ball head back down the tunnel or into row S of the South stand then we are missing Mackie. Poor lad gets such a hard time. Took him a while last season to come good, find his feet and aim if I remember correctly..

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's scored 2 screamers in the previous round of the CIS Cup. Has also given us a fair few assists, hit the woodwork a bunch of times as well. Big, strong lad with a fantastic shot. Goals will come.

I've yet to see him play in the flesh as yet though, so i'm just going on what i've seen on extended highlights and fellow supporters thoughts. Scotland games have taken up my football game budget for the start of the SPL season. Will make the games v. the Dons and the Huns though in the next month.

That means you've missed 6 league games o_O

Shame on you ;)

Getting excited for the game today!! Only the second time ive been to the Fortress that is Pittodrie and only my 3rd game this season!! I thought i may get a few games this month as im home for 4 weeks but im only getting this one and next weeks one!!

There is a good chance we could end the day being bottom of the league at the end of play today!! Oh the unthinkable!!!

I would love us to score a few goals today but i think Gretna will give us a hard game!! I'm not expecting much in the way of an attendance today! 8000 anyone?

by the looks of things the culter game would have been better.

I was at Crombie Park yesterday, and it was one of the most hideously one sided games I've seen in a VERY long time, 17-0 would have been a fairer reflection! On top of hitting seven, Culter also missed a penalty, hit the woodwork at least twice, and missed about five sitters in front of goal. Culter would give a half decent HFL or a ropey third division side a good game. Hawick wouldn't beat my old 7 a side team.......

More eventful than watching the Jags getting beat again, anyroad.....

Is it the 3rd round the premier league teams come into the draw? How i would love Culter to make it that far. Dons at Crombie, that'd be an experience.

No, the SPL teams don't come in until round 4. Format as follows:

Second round

Saturday, 27 October, 2007. Draw on Tuesday 2 October, hosted by Annan Athletic FC.

32 clubs (16 ties):

18 first round winners

Top two in the Highland League: Keith and Inverurie Loco Works

Winner of the East of Scotland League: Annan Athletic

Winner of the South of Scotland League: Threave Rovers

Ten clubs in the Scottish Football League Division 3: Albion Rovers, Arbroath, Dumbarton, East Fife, East Stirlingshire, Elgin City, Forfar Athletic, Montrose, Stenhousemuir, Stranraer.

Third round

Saturday, 24 November, 2007

32 clubs (16 ties):

16 second round winners

Ten clubs in the Scottish Football League Division 2: Airdrie United, Alloa Athletic, Ayr United, Berwick Rangers, Brechin City, Cowdenbeath, Peterhead, Queens Park, Raith Rovers, Ross County.

Four clubs in positions 5-8 in Scottish Football League Division 1 last season: Clyde, Livingston, Partick Thistle, Queen of the South.

Two clubs promoted from Division 2 last season: Greenock Morton, Stirling Albion.

Fourth Round

Saturday, 12 January, 2008

32 clubs (16 ties):

16 third round winners

12 clubs in the Scottish Premier League last season: Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee United, Dunfermline Athletic, Falkirk, Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian, Inverness CT, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Rangers, St Mirren.

Four clubs in positions 1-4 in Scottish Football League Division 1 last season: Gretna, St Johnstone, Dundee, Hamilton Academical.

I thought for a minute yesterday my dream was gonna come true and we were gonna help out our goal difference, but we totally took our foot off the gas!!

Makie, what a waste of air!!

Thought young had a decent game, thats the first time i have seen him since the Loco's game, must admit im rather suprised!!

Bring on the Saints!!

No, the SPL teams don't come in until round 4. Format as follows:

Second round

Saturday, 27 October, 2007. Draw on Tuesday 2 October, hosted by Annan Athletic FC.

32 clubs (16 ties):

18 first round winners

Top two in the Highland League: Keith and Inverurie Loco Works

Winner of the East of Scotland League: Annan Athletic

Winner of the South of Scotland League: Threave Rovers

Ten clubs in the Scottish Football League Division 3: Albion Rovers, Arbroath, Dumbarton, East Fife, East Stirlingshire, Elgin City, Forfar Athletic, Montrose, Stenhousemuir, Stranraer.

Third round

Saturday, 24 November, 2007

32 clubs (16 ties):

16 second round winners

Ten clubs in the Scottish Football League Division 2: Airdrie United, Alloa Athletic, Ayr United, Berwick Rangers, Brechin City, Cowdenbeath, Peterhead, Queens Park, Raith Rovers, Ross County.

Four clubs in positions 5-8 in Scottish Football League Division 1 last season: Clyde, Livingston, Partick Thistle, Queen of the South.

Two clubs promoted from Division 2 last season: Greenock Morton, Stirling Albion.

Fourth Round

Saturday, 12 January, 2008

32 clubs (16 ties):

16 third round winners

12 clubs in the Scottish Premier League last season: Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee United, Dunfermline Athletic, Falkirk, Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian, Inverness CT, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Rangers, St Mirren.

Four clubs in positions 1-4 in Scottish Football League Division 1 last season: Gretna, St Johnstone, Dundee, Hamilton Academical.

Well i think that's that dream over. Will have to hope for Arbroath in the second round, or if they make it to the 3rd, Queens Park so i can go see them at Hampden.

Well i think that's that dream over. Will have to hope for Arbroath in the second round, or if they make it to the 3rd, Queens Park so i can go see them at Hampden.

You in Glasgow? Culter could draw Pollok away in round two, that's not exactly far.

I'll probably take in a second round tie, I'll see which one after the draw....

I thought he did alright when he came on. Another striker who suffers from a lack of support. He looked better than Derek Young anyway.

I think Derek Young hasn't been too bad... Good first half yesterday but vanished in the 2nd half, along with the rest of them... Saving energy for Thursday, they'll need it I reckon :up:

For what it's worth I can pinpoint exactly why Aberdeen haven't been performing - Seve. the "captain" all too often fades in and out of games, moans at the refs far too often, struts about the park and is far too quick to pass the buck to his team - mates. Interestingly, I was watching the Everton v Boro game this afternoon and they commented that Gareth Southgate's most difficult decision as a manager was when he left out his Captain, Boateng. I just thought Jimmy would never do such a thing to a "senior player" like Severin and, in my opinion, this sort of thing is the root of evil at the club right now. Some players seem to pick themselves because they are "senior players" or give Jimmy an apple every week or whatever. He's brought in a heap of players and they don't even get a look - in when the established players are failing to even get motivated , let alone put in a decent shift for the team and the paying fans. A lack of commitment is a pure crime at a club like Aberdeen. I don't mind if we get beat 4 - 0 if every player puts in a committed, 100% shift. I'm just not seeing enough of that at the moment, particularly from our leader.

The loss of Russell as a leader, not just as a player has really set in and I don't see any leadership on the pitch whatsoever.

Mackie was far worse than Derek Young on Saturday. No contest. I mean, Young didn't set the game on fire, but at least he had the ball under control at some time.

What's happened to Hart's crossing ability? He has been in decline since day 1 of the season.

Also, after Saturday I can see why the United fans were so annoyed at paying a Q.M. for Lee Miller. What a joke.

And, finally - I hope Soutar gives Jimmy the biggest hiding of his life when he puts in and hopefully gets his transfer in January. This incident sums up Jimmy more than anything. Deplorable.

Plus points:

Jamie Smith is slowly finding form again. He really could be our most important player if he is flying.

de Visscher got his home debut and some pitch time. He looked alright but needs to adjust. Give him time like Jimmy needs to.

Diamond & Considine continue to improve, Zander even back to his near best. This will need to continue if we are to make the top six his season (sounds like a piss - take but I'm serious.)

Europe on Thursday! Let's pray for a minor miracle and hope we can scrape it. As long as the same doesn't happen to us as what happened to Hibs, eh?

I think people expect too much from Severin. Unless he's single handedly running the show everyone's on his back, which just irritates the hell out of me. When he plays at centre back, it's not his game to go out and win the ball in the way Diamond does. That doesn't mean he's not constantly organising and giving the team the sense of stability and security the likes of Considine badly need. Even when he's in midfield, playing with Nicholson, Clark and Smith means that he pretty much always has to sit back while they go forward, so he can't always have an obvious influence. But I wouldn't fault his work rate and I wouldn't have given the captaincy to anyone else.

Basically, I think a lot of Dons fans just don't notice how much work he actually gets through and don't appreciate the value of quietly effective players.

And as for him moaning at referees, I think, especially against the Old Firm, Aberdeen need to remind the referee that there's two teams on the park so I don't have a problem with it.