aberdeen-music

Any insanely fast drummers out there?

emergency72

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey just to put in my tuppence worth, Nile definately use double kick pedals with triggers, pretty much all death bands do cuz it improves the clarity of the pedal and stops the bass guitar from meshing with the bass drum sonically. that frost of satyricon guy is using a double pedal as well except for the straight single beats in time with the snare.

check out this for fast single hand gravity drops.

(the gravity drops are right at the end)

but ye canna beat Project Venhell for drumming that makes yer face sair wi grinning so much

Can't say I was especially blown away on Saturday. He's pretty good for sure, but not amazing. Locally, and this is gonna sound biased as fuck, I don't think there's many better than Radio Lucifer's own Oggy. IMO, he pisses over mostly everyone, may except Frosty and Waz from DLS.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
hey just to put in my tuppence worth, Nile definately use double kick pedals with triggers, pretty much all death bands do cuz it improves the clarity of the pedal and stops the bass guitar from meshing with the bass drum sonically. that frost of satyricon guy is using a double pedal as well except for the straight single beats in time with the snare.

check out this for fast single hand gravity drops.

(the gravity drops are right at the end)

Horrible, why is every drum triggered? it sounds like shit. you would get a similar sound from choosing a backing beat on a casio keyboard and turning the tempo up as high as it would go

No no no.

Your misinterpreting me Danster

Im talking about the sound of a triggered kick.

If you look at it in a graph sense it is a sampled response to the hitting of the kick. (in a way we are agreeing) Im talking about looking at a sampled kick drum sound through the eyes of a sound guy it stands out, its compressed (in a graph sense) and it is good IMHO

It's not compressed, unless you're confusing compressed with consistent amplitude. Whether it stands out or not depends on the sample and the accompanying music.

Nile definately use double kick pedals with triggers' date=' pretty much all death bands do cuz it improves the clarity of the pedal and [b']stops the bass guitar from meshing with the bass drum sonically.

That's a new one on me, must remember to throw that into the conversation with other sound engineers and see if they have the same look on their face that I did.

so soundian i take it u sound engineer death bands all the time yeah? so how many death albums have u recorded? obviously a non-clicker bass drum goin flat out is gona b much harder to hear amongst the noise of bass,guitar and vocals, hence the reason for clickers....

we met the drummer from severe torture last time they played glasgow and he was sayin that it was harder for him to play that night because the clicker hadnt been set up right and he couldnt hear his bassdrum clearly. so it helps the musicians keep in time as well...

so soundian i take it u sound engineer death bands all the time yeah? so how many death albums have u recorded? obviously a non-clicker bass drum goin flat out is gona b much harder to hear amongst the noise of bass,guitar and vocals, hence the reason for clickers....

we met the drummer from severe torture last time they played glasgow and he was sayin that it was harder for him to play that night because the clicker hadnt been set up right and he couldnt hear his bassdrum clearly. so it helps the musicians keep in time as well...

I'm not arguing against the fact that a clicky kick drum helps for people to hear it, audience as well as band. A trigger isn't necessary to get a clicky sound, but it is necessary to get an even amplitude on the kick drum, I don't care how good the drummer is, hitting with consistent force at speed is not something that they can do, especially not for prolonged periods. Compression probably wouldn't work due to the speed and the need to let transients through.

That wasn't what I highlighted though.

It was the choice of words "stops the bass guitar from meshing with the bass drum sonically", which sounds to me, and probably most other sound engineers, as if you're talking about coupling, in which case a trigger would be a necessity, but it's also extremely unlikely that they would couple, normally some kind of physical contact is needed.

If you meant it gives clarity to the kick drum, especially when it's played at speed, then I agree, but you'd just said that.

That alright for you Mr Shantie?

p.s. I should maybe add,in the past 17 years of knob tweaking I've done my fair share of every genre, both in the studio and live.

boring beats

repetitive fast kick drum is boring, but I must admit when you said "I don't care how good the drummer is, hitting with consistent force at speed is not something that they can do, especially not for prolonged periods", I had to chuckle... electric or accoustic - either way you know it will get the beating of it's life from Biz , the sort of thrashing that is both loud and fast without being repetitive and gay - like most of the pish Metal pish on pish late night music piddle TV.

Vote Biz, for better drumming and taps that work.

If you can't play right

and your kit sound shite

call up Biz

day or night

MUSICAL VISION LTD // ONLINE // HOME

Speed Drumming, drums, DRUM BUM - Speed, Fast Drumming, WFD, Worlds Fastest Drummer, drummers

Totally and utterly agree.

Polyrhythmic drumming is fantastic, so much more interesting to listen to. (that's not to say I don't like the odd bit of blastbeating)

I know, i'm always in absolute awe when i hear stuff like that. It brings the drums out a lot more from the song and as you say is a lot more interesting. I'm certainly not against blastbeats but i think it's a particularly 'lazy' (not stamina-wise before i get some wise ass on my case) thing to lapse into in heavy music. There's plenty of other things that you can do as well.

I'm certainly not against blastbeats but i think it's a particularly 'lazy' (not stamina-wise before i get some wise ass on my case) thing to lapse into in heavy music. There's plenty of other things that you can do as well.

it's on a par with the DM-TSCH-DM-TSCH school of cheap 90's dance music in terms of sophistication, to my ears anyway. Good complex beats at high speed can sound really sinister aswell which seems appropriate.