aberdeen-music

Forgotten food

Paulscoconutass

You learn something new every day, thanks for the info. :up:

The adverts for Tudor with Geordie paperboys were great though, much better than the gash Walkers ones with Lineker.

And as for Smiths, who remembers the ace adverts for them with the singing tatties? (To the tune of 'Bobby's Girl', "We want to be Smiths crisps, we want to be...")

YES! And then they had the version when Smiths had the Jackets line "We want to be Jackets". And there was a cartoon of a tattie zipping itself back into its skin.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada
6.85 for Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks!!! Not including delivery! That's insane!

Good for pumpkin and corn syrup though. Thanks for the link!!!

Globally Sweet was something like that as well, but my friend from Houston was so horrified that I paid that much for them that she brought me back a box which cost her a dollar or something.

PS Anybody know why Globally Sweet went out of business? They seemed to be doing pretty well for a while, moving to better premises and stuff.

Globally Sweet was something like that as well, but my friend from Houston was so horrified that I paid that much for them that she brought me back a box which cost her a dollar or something.

PS Anybody know why Globally Sweet went out of business? They seemed to be doing pretty well for a while, moving to better premises and stuff.

I'm guessing you've already answered yer own question there...

I was having a chat with the manager some time ago & he was saying that he had quite some problems keeping a steady stock level for number of the favourite lines. He would get his 3-month/seasonal allocation from the importers & be sold-out in days. I could imagine that would not be good for encouraging repeat/steady trade & that could not be good - especially as the shop must have occupied one of the most expensive sites in the city?

Guest Neutral

They were getting less customers at their new location

Guest DustyDeviada
I was having a chat with the manager some time ago & he was saying that he had quite some problems keeping a steady stock level for number of the favourite lines. He would get his 3-month/seasonal allocation from the importers & be sold-out in days. I could imagine that would not be good for encouraging repeat/steady trade & that could not be good - especially as the shop must have occupied one of the most expensive sites in the city?

Hmm, I suppose, but then if it sold out within days maybe the answer would be... order more stock?

Anyhoo, just seemed a strange one, there was an article in the paper not that long ago about them being a huge success.

Does anyone else remember the brilliant freebies that Tudor used to do? At primary school (which was about the only place that sold them up here), we used to have great collection networks going for them - which usually involved scouring the playgrounds & bins of neighbouring schools after hours. :D

Although I suspect we may be talking about different decades (or centuries even) I agree...I've still got my Tudor Space Captain badge! Wish I still had my Smiths crisps dinosaur collection (from c.1965/66?). I suspect there are only 1 or 2 of us on here who remember when there were only plain flavoured crisps, with a little twisted bag of salt, before the sachets.

Good call on the space dust...I also liked those white skull sweets with the red blood (or flavouring)!) inside them!

A conversation with a collegue at work today reminded me some more salty snacks that are now unfortunatly M.I.A.

Spiderman : Web shaped snacks

Piglets : Amazing pig shaped puffs think they were bean flavoured or something!

Puffs: Could have been called something different, but were just like a bag of smushy puffs. Came in 4 flavours that I can remember, Cheese and onion, ready salted, salt 'n' vinigar and cheese & tomato.

Someone mentioned 'Ringos'. Remember the catchphrase....

No Ring goes like a Ringo goes.

*Ringos had a specific use:

1) Get 3 440ml cans, preferably with 25% EXTRA FREE bringing them up to 550ml of Kestral 'Black Death' Lager at 10% ABV. This is the black cans.

2) Get a penknife.

3) And a packet on onion rings, also preferably with 25% EXTRA FREE, in fact the bigger the bag the better.

4) Rest the first can on it's side and cut a 1" square incision near the base of the can on the opposite side of where the ring pull opens.

5) Clamp mouth securely over hole, tilt can to vertical and pull ring tab.

6) SWALLOW... FOR FUCKS SAKE SWALLOW. And keep SWALLOWING until can evacutes it's contents into your stomach.

7) Remove mouth from empty can and take a deep breath.**

8) Take large handful of Ringos and cram them into your mouth. This will put the taste away. Chew until the Ringos form a vaguley salty onion flavoured paste and then swallow (CAUTION: the same does not work for blowjobs - very bad idea).

9) Repeat steps 4) through to 8).

10) CONGRATULATIONS. You are now pissed.

* It helps if you are aged between 15 and 20. It's even better if the cans were stolen, or bought on a Sunday.

**OOPS best do this outside in case you puke :)