aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

just finished this:

51Q6J3i0qiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

apparently a kids/young adult book (i found this out after i read it)

thought i dont think it was that apparent whilst reading.

gearing up for my next book cant decide between 3rd book in the dresden files or an xmen novelization ^^

If you're looking for recommendations of great books I'd say go to Irvine Welsh or Chuck Palahniuk or Hunter S. Thompson or Karl Pilkington.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't checked this thread in ages. I'm running low on my stock of good books at the moment. Have resorted to buying Tony Adams' autobiography off amazon. I don't know what's going on. What should I be reading? 

if you could recommend one book and one book only which book would it be and why?

Ralph Ellison's 'Invisible Man' because the way Ellison writes is incendiary, as was the topic at the time. It's something of a bildungsroman during the civil rights movement in the US - it's personal and universal and so important. Definitely the best thing I read when I was at Uni and one of the best thing's I've read full stop.

As for me, I just finished Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' which was just a little heartbreaking/wrenching at the end. Fantastic book though. Another 'story of a young man's journey' but with loads of Dickensian plot-twists and brilliant flawed characters you feel odd rooting for at points. 

Aaaah, I love this thread.
I really want to read that Donna Tartt book, KT, because even though she's only written three novels, I've somehow managed to miss all of them despite thinking they sound ace. I'll probably start with the Secret History, though, and keep it chronological.

Every year I challenge myself to read four books a month and I always fail by March. Trying again this year, though. For the past few years I've been keeping note of everything I've read. This was 2013.
Books2013_zps48728c85.png
I realised that I should right some wrongs and read the 'modern classics' that I never had before (The Catcher in the Rye, Lolita, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World and I bought, but have yet to read Catch 22).

This year, I have read 'The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao' by Juno Diaz, half of the graphic novel 'Berlin: City of Stones' by Jason Lutes and am currently 150 pages into 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay' by Michael Chabon. It is ace and weirdly inspiring, it makes me want to write or just create something. I hope it stays as good the whole way through.

• Upvote 1

My favourite bit in Catch-22 was Art Garfunkel.

Seriously though, Brave new world is pretty fuckin' ace. Just finished re reading it last month. I also have an audio book of it read by Michael York which is fuckin' ace for falling asleep too. Michael York whispering 'spermatazoa' into your ears with his dulcet tones is nothing short of fuckin' ace.

This year, I have read 'The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao' by Juno Diaz, half of the graphic novel 'Berlin: City of Stones' by Jason Lutes and am currently 150 pages into 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay' by Michael Chabon. It is ace and weirdly inspiring, it makes me want to write or just create something. I hope it stays as good the whole way through.

I ground to a halt half way with Kavalier and Clay, but I don't remember it being bad at all... I think I got side tracked by something.  You should check out Wonderboys if you like it.  It's also very good (and a lot shorter, which suited my attention span).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading "Titanic: Destination Disaster" at the moment, it's exactly what you'd expect, the history of Titanic, from her inception right through to that nasty incident with the iceberg. Very very interesting read. Highly recommended. After that I've got "Senna vs Prost" lined up. Then when I take these ones back I've got an eye on Irvine Welsh's "Skagboys".

Fucking LIBRARY, bitch.

• 2 months later...

I'm sure I'll go back to it someday and it'll click.

The Book of Illusions was ace but I still think it comes second to the NY Trilogy. Mind fuuuuuck!

I'm typing this on my phone and the font is really weird and massive. Wonder if it'll come out normal. What an exciting experiment...