aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Yeah, that's the bit I was referring to. In the context of what was going on, that was some seriously grim behaviour. He suggested her ma commited benefits fraud, then boned her, then she went to jail so he boned her daughter, got her hooked on skag, pimped her out and eventually let the man who had killed her father rape her. That's pretty low even for him.

He's a nasty piece of work for sure. Far worse that Begbie - at least with that maniac you know what you're getting.

I think it's in Trainspotting where he batters his gf. That's like, light reading in the world of Irvine Welsh. You read Marabou Stork Nightmares? Fuck that.

I didn't like that one. They're never going to top Managing and Implementing Microsoft SharePoint 2009 Projects

I know you just made a typo there. Obviously everyone knows that there wasn't a SharePoint 2009. If I like this book i'll go back and read the rest!

I read Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End. Fantastic book, really heartbreaking in places, but a wonderful meditation on evolution and man's place in the universe. The first time I've properly dabbled in sci-fi as an adult. I must dabble more.

Been put onto Rushdie's Shalimar the Clown by Nef C. It'll likely be a week or so before I can realistically start it, but the synopsis sounds excellent:-

Los Angeles, 1991. Maximilian Ophuls is knifed to death on the doorstep of his illegitimate daughter India, slaughtered by his Kashmiri driver, a mysterious figure who calls himself Shalimar the Clown. The dead man is a World War II Resistance hero, a man of formidable intellectual ability and much erotic appeal, a former United States ambassador to India, and subsequently America's counter-terrorism chief. The murder looks at first like a political assassination but turns out to be passionately personal.

This is the story of Max, his killer, and his daughter - and of a fourth character, the woman who links them all. The story of a deep love gone fatally wrong, destroyed by a shallow affair, it is an epic narrative that moves from California to France, England, and above all, Kashmir: a ruined paradise, not so much lost as smashed.

I am excited.

Finally got around to reading "Up Pohnpei" by former Football Italia writer Paul Watson. It was really great. Inspirational, heart warming and very, very funny. A true story about Paul and his mate conjuring up a pipe-dream whilst in the pub of picking a country with an awful international football team, gaining citizenship to that country and earn one international cap by playing for them. That doesn't quite go to plan, but they soldier on with what is a truly underdog quest in a country which doesn't even have a league, nevermind any sort of recognised infrastructure to pick a squad of natives to play a game of football against anyone. So Paul and Matt set out to put the pieces in place for the state of Pohnpei to have it's own team and play competitive games of football. Paul manages to slip in some good rants about FIFA being shitheads, but funding was probably just as much of a problem as actually getting players to turn up, as well as making sure they weren't tripping on narcotics. Watson is a very good writer. He knows football beyond belief, and whilst it is a true story, he still delivers it with many gut wrenching twists and hilarious anecdotes. Highly recommended, though it's quite expensive (£12.99!) so if anyone wants to borrow it, I'll throw it your way.

Finally got around to reading "Up Pohnpei" by former Football Italia writer Paul Watson. It was really great. Inspirational, heart warming and very, very funny. A true story about Paul and his mate conjuring up a pipe-dream whilst in the pub of picking a country with an awful international football team, gaining citizenship to that country and earn one international cap by playing for them. That doesn't quite go to plan, but they soldier on with what is a truly underdog quest in a country which doesn't even have a league, nevermind any sort of recognised infrastructure to pick a squad of natives to play a game of football against anyone. So Paul and Matt set out to put the pieces in place for the state of Pohnpei to have it's own team and play competitive games of football. Paul manages to slip in some good rants about FIFA being shitheads, but funding was probably just as much of a problem as actually getting players to turn up, as well as making sure they weren't tripping on narcotics. Watson is a very good writer. He knows football beyond belief, and whilst it is a true story, he still delivers it with many gut wrenching twists and hilarious anecdotes. Highly recommended, though it's quite expensive (£12.99!) so if anyone wants to borrow it, I'll throw it your way.

This sounds like a great read, I'd love to borrow it.