aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Currently working through Steven Adler's autobiography - almost finished it on my flight to Ghana this morning. It's not well-written by any stretch of the imagination but it's quite interesting to see the GnR split from his point of view. It's startling how much drink and drugs he forced down his neck (and into his veins) - i am a dribbling mess after 12 pints never mind a bottle or two of Jack Daniels!

I love these sorts of autobiographies, any suggestions for me?

Currently working through Steven Adler's autobiography - almost finished it on my flight to Ghana this morning. It's not well-written by any stretch of the imagination but it's quite interesting to see the GnR split from his point of view. It's startling how much drink and drugs he forced down his neck (and into his veins) - i am a dribbling mess after 12 pints never mind a bottle or two of Jack Daniels!

Anthony Kiedis from the Chilli's book is good. I think It's called Scar Tissue. The guy has done some amount of shit in his life.

Anthony Kiedis from the Chilli's book is good. I think It's called Scar Tissue. The guy has done some amount of shit in his life.

I've always meant to read this. Apparently it's surprisingly interesting.

I'm just getting stuck into Game of Thrones, having watched and loved the TV series. I was surprised how similar the two are.

Also reading The Collapse of Yugoslavia, 1991-1999 by Alistair Finlan. I'm hoping to learn a lot more about the conflict, particularly the Bosnian War, and this is a sort of "essential history" concise background. Pretty good so far as an introduction to all matters of the conflict.

My brother has read it and really liked it - i think i'll steal it from him rather than pay for my own copy. Im a scrooge and happy to admit it.

Flea and Anthony Kiedis actually pop up in both Slash and Adler's books - apparently they all used to hang around together when they were kids. What a fucked up group of mates that must've been!

I am currently reading Mikhail Bulgakov's 'A Country Doctor's Notebook'. I started it on a flight to Amsterdam last week. It was the only thing I had to read with me so had to persevere with it despite it being really really detailed and me being a little squeamish when it comes to things like blood and veins.

Everyone says Motley Crue's 'the Dirt' is really good, but I've never read it. I was put off by Nikki Sixx's dull-as-hell Heroin Diaries.

Day 1: "Today I woke up in my closet, cradling my shotgun and realised I should really get off the heroin. Then I thought how ridiculous I was being and had some lovely heroin. I wrote a song. It seemed great at the time, but when the heroin began to wear off, I realised it wasn't very good and so I had some more heroin. I had sex with a lady and then we both got paranoid and hid in the closet with my shotgun, as we thought the police were outside my door."

Day 2: "Can't believe I let the heroin trick me into thinking the cops were coming for me again. Ha, what an idiot, should probably quit heroin. I will. Right after I've had sex with a lady and then shot up again. Oh no, I think the cops are at the door. Where's my shotgun? Oh, it's in my closet, I'll just hide in there with it."

Day 3: "I'm wondering why I woke up in a closet? Weird LOLS! It's maybe something to do with not having heroin. You know what would sort that out? Heroin. And maybe a woman and some heroin. Wonder who that is at my door... I won't check, I have a bad feeling about it. Hey, that closet looks like the perfect hiding place. Maybe I'll take my shotgun with me in there for a little holiday."

Day 4: "I'm not sure heroin is a good idea. I don't know if I actually even enjoy it. Only one way to find out, I managed to get hold of some really nice heroin..."

ETC.

• Upvote 2

The Dirt is OUTSTANDING! Honestly, not just the debauchery but the more heartfelt stuff too. It's a must-read if you're going down this avenue.

I think i'll have to give it a spin. It's a small miracle how these guys are still alive - apparently Steve Adler has had 28 ODs and 3 suicide attempts....

Itls always the same too, come off tour, have a massive crash of self confidence, realise you've got no mates cos the only people who you know are your bandmates (who hate you cos you've spent a year in a bus with them) drug takers/dealers, groupies/fans (who can't treat you like a normal human being) and people looking to take advantage of your resources.

• 5 weeks later...

Just finished '1974' by David Peace (Damned United). First in a quartet based around police corruption and all such in Yorkshire. 1974 follows a young crime correspondent for the local paper reporting on the disappearance and subsequent murder of a school girl which may or may not be related to other similar crimes.

It's nae a funny book. Not a laugh to be had. Relatively fucking grim and miserable but still worth a read if you prefer your crime novels slightly more than just crime novels.

The quartet as a whole was made into a tv trilogy starring Sean Bean, MArk Addy, Paddy Considine and others.

Now making my way through the third of Dennis Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro series 'Sacred' before diving into Ellroy's 'The Cold Six Thousand'.

I've lost Hells Angels. Shows how in to it I was. I'll take it on holiday with me though.

Just read a few comics. Civl War Wolverine, The Astounding Wolf-Man and I'm a bit of the way through Civil War X-Men.

The Wolf-Man one was fantastic, but, seemed a little rushed when compared to The Walking Dead.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished 7/7 Behind the Veil, it was pretty good- but I'm into all that stuff, there's definitely some problems with the official conspiracy, I just don't think I have enough time to investigate the whole mess properly- I'm spending all my time reading arguments about Garry Barlow singing at the Olympic closing ceremony.

I need a good book about Stalin, and all the stuff he got up to. I'm not keen on Simon Sebag Montefoire- just because I found his Jerusalem book so boring that I couldn't finish it, so his tome on Stalin is not an option.

While on holiday I read The Accident by Linwood Barclay.

It's well gripping. I couldn't put it down. The plot centers around a husband grieving his wife who caused a serious car accident claiming the lives of two or three others and herself. It's got more twists and turns than a 60's dance floor and I found myself caring for the main characters greatly.

It's superbly written and after a discussion with my aunt (who lent me the book) we've decided it would make a cracking movie. Although I'll only watch it if it stars Liam Nesson or Pierce Brosnan.

Easily 5 stars. Probably the best Crime/thriller I've ever read.

I absolutely devoured The Essential Smart Football by Chris B Brown which is a book of articles (some from his website, some new) on American Football strategy, development, plays, positions, all kinds of stuff. His website is outstanding and this is a brilliant book. I'm still just starting out coaching, about to start my second year adn this offered a lot of things to think about and research more

I finally finished Mark Mazower's Dark Continent, a real powerhouse that guy, but I had to read the chapter on the collapse of the Soviet Union twice (Sharks and Dolphins) it was giving me a sore head. I'm stuck what to read now- I've got a pile of Niall Ferguson's older stuff to get through, but I might find something light to read until I get the new Will Self joint in my sweaty hands tomorrow......I might hit some HP Lovecraft or Algernon Blackwood, them two always give me groovy dreams..........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Trying to finish 'The Cold Six Thousand' by Ellroy, but owing to his style resulting in 10 sentences per line, its an absolute slog and have given it a break. Decided to read 'Swag' by Elmore Leonard instead. Story follows a couple of gents who take up armed robbery in 70's Detroit following 10 rules. Obviously, things dont go quite to plan.

Tore through Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis in a couple of nights. Book about apathetic Valley teens doing lots of 80s stuff, like blow, listening to INXS and non-discriminatory sexy-time. I think i might go back to American Psycho... didn't really like it on first read, but I think I'm growing to appreciate Ellis' style.