aberdeen-music

what would you do?

catherine

right. i work in a bar. have done for a year and a half on and off. but they always seem to have someone stealing or giving drinks away or just being thick

last night i earned 15 from working

i had to give 5 for the tils being down and owe them 14 for stock being down

apparently there were 20 vodkas, 6 JD's. 6 aftershock and some bottles of VK missing

and it came to like 66. and we have to all chip in to pay it into the til

first time they're making us pay. apparently cause they think people are giving away drink so want to try deter them

but im now gona be out of pocket if i pay.

someone else refused to pay and now has been sacked and maybe barred

however my dad told me its theft if they make us pay.

its the only decent club in ayr so i cant afford to be barred. and kinda need the cash as my second job

another thing is. (which they wont listen to me about) we sold 400 vodkas last night... and were 20 down... now that only takes 1.25mls of spillage per shot to add up. surely that is human error? not people giving it away

this is pissing me off more than loosing my phone.

whats annoying more is i think its not even someone stealing this time. its happened before but it doesnt seem obvious this time.

i dont want to have to pay on morals that i aint done noting wrong yet i dont want the sack or to be barred from the only place i ever go

Guest Jake Wifebeater

You should stick together and not budge on this one, as someone said, they can't fire you all in a oner. Tell them to fuck off and burn the place down.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
i was going to suggest telling them to fuck off then punching them in the face, but thats a better idea.

Let's combine the two:

She should knock her boss out cold, and set fire to the place while he's lying in a pile of blood and teeth.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
As a nice touch, nick some of their vodka to make motolov cocktails to torch the place.

Was just going to add that, she should pour spirits over his unconscious form and make sure he's lit up like a Christmas tree.

i feel sorry for my boss in a way though. he gets a stock take every month. and once it was £700 down (cause of this fannt of a superviser i had once) and they tried to make my boss pay for it out of his pocket

furys is a chain so he has bosses breathing down his neck. yet they wont let him install optics in the club to solve the problem

No reason to take it out on the staff though. It's his problem, not yours.

You'd better hope everyone else has the balls to stand up to him too.

Exactly. It's his job to make sure these things run smoothly.

I should know, I'm a supervisor at work and anything that goes wrong below me ends up at my door eventually when it comes to blame. However, anyone in that sort of position knows this...so don't feel sorry for him.

if they won't let him install optics (and presumably that means he's tried) then he can't really blame staff for wastage.

Let him cool down and go and explain to him that human error happens. The Bassment don't use optics and I'm sure they have a system for this. Suggest a wastage book or something, jot down whats been spilt and get him to sign each entry (time consuming, yes, but will solve the problem). As for the missing bottles...well I can't argue with him making you pay for them. Spirits and pints can be spilt or mispoured but it's a bit harder to explain a missing bottle.

As for the missing bottles...well I can't argue with him making you pay for them. Spirits and pints can be spilt or mispoured but it's a bit harder to explain a missing bottle.

Can you imagine addopting this to criminal law.....someone steals a car so the police get the population of Aberdeen to pay for it....hardly fair!!

And in my opinion when bottles are going missing who is most likely to be the thief, the manager or the grunts behind the bar?

Can you imagine addopting this to criminal law.....someone steals a car so the police get the population of Aberdeen to pay for it....hardly fair!!

And in my opinion when bottles are going missing who is most likely to be the thief, the manager or the grunts behind the bar?

In my experience it's the 'grunts'. True, making people pay for missing bottles isn't much of a deterent, whoever is nicking them is still getting them dirt cheap. Maybe your manager should just keep a better eye on his staff. Seems that most bars overlook staff giving mates drinks for staff price, but giving them away free is taking the piss a bit.

To be honest Catherine, your best bet is to get the hell out of there - it's not worth the damage to your own reputation to stick it out, at least. They're on very dodgy ground as far as deducting money from staff pay without having gone through the proper proceedures - and there are set guidelines from the goverment as to how exactly people should be disciplined for this kind of thing and so on. I'm also sure that if they aren't training staff properly, then the blame lies squarely at their door.

On the other hand, you can pretty much be sacked for anything within the first year and they can get away with it, though there's some exclusions relating to unfair dismissal. If you haven't been there for a year, then it's just not worth fighting it - you might be able to beat them in court and force them to pay up the wages that they've withheld, but is it ultimately worth being banned over?

The manager does sound like he doesn't have a clue how to control his staff, though.

Guest DustyDeviada

I think you're right, without optics there's not a lot of leeway for spillage over 400 vidkas.

If I was you I would (reluctantly) pay it this time just to make sure I didn't get sacked/barred, but look for another job quick. Once you've got another job you'll still get in the club.

i aint done noting wrong yet i dont want the sack or to be barred from the only place i ever go

That in the end is the problem. I don't know how many times I've seen a pub or club treat its staff/customers with complete & utter contempt, safely knowing that they will still come running back for more. "Because it is the only place" :(

Plenty of others out there, some are even good. Walk, or tell them to stick it.