aberdeen-music

Trying out a totally different genre?

Hog

I was wondering if anyone here has tried out listening to genres that are totally different to their usual musical tastes (giving it a proper try!).

i.e

Thurisaz listening to pop

Alan Cynic listening to Electronica

Jester 123456 checking out grindcore

Rune checking out blues

etc etc.

So have you ever made a real attempt with this idea.

Why I am asking this? Well I has a phase trying out blues and I did enjoy it but its really didn't float my boat. However, I discovered ambient by listening out of curiosity and now I love it!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried to get into classical, but I can only take it in small amounts (I did go to see tourandot at duthie park in the summer, which was great)...

I think the only music I can't listen to, is your generic pop pap...but that's not really music, is it!

I can quite happily listen to Jazz, Rap, metal, indie, electronica, ambient, folk and all their "sub genres"....

as I've always said, there are only two genres of music : good music and bad music.

I just wish I had such a broad taste as mr Peel! but, I am pretty happy with my spectrum.

If you fancy something a little different try out some Zeuhl

"The genre is a mixture of musical genres like Neoclassicism, Romanticism, Modernism and Fusion. Common elements: oppressive or discipline-conveying feel, marching themes, throbbing bass, an ethereal piano or Rhodes piano, and brass instruments."

You can listen to a few songs by Magma (They started it all) at the link below

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=646

All 7 tracks they give are fantastic (La Dawotsin and Da Zeuhl Wortz Mekanik being the easiest to the ears to begin with). And if you fancy buying an album i reccomend Udu Wudu :up::princess:

Dun

Wow!!! aint bought this album yet but just wait till you hear what the song transforms into!!!!!

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD.asp?cd_id=3552

Unfortunately the progarchives webpage just went down so i cant give anymore links just now.:down: but Magma and Dun should be enough Zeuhl for most minds.

I'll give most things a listen and i can usually find something of interest musically in most forms of music' date=' even if it only ends up with me appreciating it for that point rather than actually 'liking' it.[/quote']

I agree with this,I can find things interesting ij most styles of music, I can even see why it's good a lot of the time, but it would never be what I'd listen to for enjoyment, and as thats what music is for, unless something grabs me and makes the switch to me loving it, then I wont really pay it too much attention really, i have a low attention span... what was the question ?

I'm faaaaaaaar too narrow minded.

Though I have fallen in love with "Fear and Wonder" by Dimmu Borgir and would like to find more things which are similar to that.

Could prove VERY inspirational.

Help me out if you have any ideas. :)

Ulver- Blood Inside

Philip Glass- The Hours soundtrack

Carter Burwell- The man who wasn't there soundtrack

Devlab

Type O Negative- Bloddy Kisses

Enya- Amarantine

Muse- Origin of Symmetry.

Nothing like Dimmu but decent albums anyway.

Fuck genres.

Anyone talking here of "trying out another genre" is narrow minded and posting messages listing their likes is just paying lipservice.

There's only two types of music - good and bad.

If you don't like it after listening to it, then fair enough. If you don't like it becuase it's "nu-country" or "slo-core" and you only listen to Norwegian death Metal (Above The Arctic Circle Scene only) then you're just narrow minded.

Sorry, but if you're the sort of person that sees listening to a music outside your narrow spectrum as being "open minded" then you've got a lot to learn.

I'm faaaaaaaar too narrow minded.

Though I have fallen in love with "Fear and Wonder" by Dimmu Borgir and would like to find more things which are similar to that.

Could prove VERY inspirational.

Help me out if you have any ideas. :)

Dimmu Borgir - they look the Icelandic Village People auditioning for The Matrix if you ask me.

http://www.radarbooking.no/artistphotos/1DimmuBorgirblaudunkelquer.jpg

Still, point me in the direction of some MP3s and i'll give em a blast.