aberdeen-music

I need a new drink

Metarie

Does cider not mix well with other drinks then? The problem with most spirits and mixers is that I find them too sweet and sickly after one or two.

Desperados are bloody gorgeous and have the added bonus of reminding me of spending an afternoon in the moorings with one of the most beautiful men I know drinking them til we fell over. Good times.

Reject Monkey - if you're who I think you are I've never seen you drinking anything but water or red bull, are you a secret jager fiend at home?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does cider not mix well with other drinks then? The problem with most spirits and mixers is that I find them too sweet and sickly after one or two.

Desperados are bloody gorgeous and have the added bonus of reminding me of spending an afternoon in the moorings with one of the most beautiful men I know drinking them til we fell over. Good times.

Reject Monkey - if you're who I think you are I've never seen you drinking anything but water or red bull' date=' are you a secret jager fiend at home?[/quote']

He's not 18 yet. So drinking anything alcoholic in a pub would be illegal. :up:

White Russian = God's Beer.

A good malt should have nothing in it, unless it's a strong smokey one like Laphroaig, which can have a couple of drops of tepid water in it. Certainly never ice.

My default choice would be red wine, but don't buy it by the glass. A lot of establishments sell it by the bottle for well under a tenner, making it a cheap option, and you don't have to keep going back to the bar...

Reject Monkey - if you're who I think you are I've never seen you drinking anything but water or red bull' date=' are you a secret jager fiend at home?[/quote']

yup that is me... i usually drink nothing but red bull as a) i love the taste, and b) after quite a few cans it gives you the same feeling as being drunk

but latley ive been on the ice water a lot because of the tongue piercing:up:

and my jager feindy-ness is no secret :princess:

red wine would be my drink of choice too although it's hard to find a good one in the bars I go to. The stuff in The Bassment is rancid and even The Prince of Wales only has really heavy 14% stuff that floors me after about 2 glasses.

Hmm...maybe it's the cider that is making me act like a PMSy bitch from hell and not the gin. Gin or cider...I'm not sure I can make that choice :(

red wine would be my drink of choice too although it's hard to find a good one in the bars I go to. The stuff in The Bassment is rancid and even The Prince of Wales only has really heavy 14% stuff that floors me after about 2 glasses.

Hmm...maybe it's the cider that is making me act like a PMSy bitch from hell and not the gin. Gin or cider...I'm not sure I can make that choice :(

Don't fault Gin! :nono:

Cider mixes well with everythign apart from beer. Cloudy cider (scrumpy) mixes even better with everything and produces less of a hangover... but NEVER mix scrumpy with beer EVER!

What kind of gin are you drinking? Gordon's is a relatively poor quality gin, so perhaps try switching to Bombay Sapphire or even better Tanquery. The only problem with Tanquery is that it's a touch stronger, but as crisp as a well chilled iceberg lettuce.

Nobody seems to have mentioned Bloody Mary's. My recommendation is Russky Standart Vodka, lots of ice, tomato juice, Worstershire sauce, tabasco, and a slice of lemon. Tastes even better with a double measure of spirit.

How about a really nice tequila, not the commonly available paint stripper but a really decent one like Patron? Try some Patron Silver, ice, orange (or pineapple) juice, and grenadine for a Tequila sunrise/sunset. Again it tastes better with a double measure.

Another thing worth trying is Clement Rhum (only a single measure - trust me), tall glass, lots of ice, and LOTS of ginger beer. This tastes like marzipan. It alo drinks well with LOTS of lemonade. You don't like coke, but add a measure of Clement to 250ml of coke and you get Vimto. Clement is great because even a little taints the taste of everything!

Tried Baja Rosa yet? Strawberry flavoured cream tequila liquer...

Someone already mentioned Koko Kanu, this is coconut rum at 35% abv, which is significantly stronger than Malibu, but tastes exactly like bounty bars. Mixes well with pineapple juice to create something akin to a pinacolada.

And then there's Absinthe...

You'll get away with cider and one of these options, but don't try mixing multiple drinks.

CHEERS!

Cider mixes well with everythign apart from beer. Cloudy cider (scrumpy) mixes even better with everything and produces less of a hangover... but NEVER mix scrumpy with beer EVER!

What kind of gin are you drinking? Gordon's is a relatively poor quality gin' date=' so perhaps try switching to Bombay Sapphire or even better Tanquery. The only problem with Tanquery is that it's a touch stronger, but as crisp as a well chilled iceberg lettuce.

Nobody seems to have mentioned Bloody Mary's. My recommendation is Russky Standart Vodka, lots of ice, tomato juice, Worstershire sauce, tabasco, and a slice of lemon. Tastes even better with a double measure of spirit.

How about a really nice tequila, not the commonly available paint stripper but a really decent one like Patron? Try some Patron Silver, ice, orange (or pineapple) juice, and grenadine for a Tequila sunrise/sunset. Again it tastes better with a double measure.

Another thing worth trying is Clement Rhum (only a single measure - trust me), tall glass, lots of ice, and LOTS of ginger beer. This tastes like marzipan. It alo drinks well with LOTS of lemonade. You don't like coke, but add a measure of Clement to 250ml of coke and you get Vimto. Clement is great because even a little taints the taste of everything!

Tried Baja Rosa yet? Strawberry flavoured cream tequila liquer...

Someone already mentioned Koko Kanu, this is coconut rum at 35% abv, which is significantly stronger than Malibu, but tastes exactly like bounty bars. Mixes well with pineapple juice to create something akin to a pinacolada.

And then there's Absinthe...

You'll get away with cider and one of these options, but don't try mixing multiple drinks.

CHEERS![/quote']

You should write a book.

:up:

Gin always brings out the evil in my soul, so I only drink that when I'm feeling mean.

A good tequila can not be beaten. If life gives you lemons, break out the salt and tequila. After a few, you can suggest body shots but I guess most of you are too young to know about that.

Otherwise, its German beers. Einbecker weisbier is fantastic. And its pure enough not to give you a hangover.

pete

inthehills

God no!

My mates would usually slip me a few gins and then direct me towards some unfortunate victim and then sit back and listen to the vitriol and cutting sarcasm and then drag me off before I got hit.

ah happy days. Perhaps we should team up, drink gin and metaphorically bitchslap the whole of Aberdeen.

that would be cool.

pete

inthehills

A good malt should have nothing in it' date=' unless it's a strong smokey one like Laphroaig, which can have a couple of drops of tepid water in it. Certainly never ice.[/quote']

Don't know, I have to disagree there, though I know I'm not quite in agreement with the professionals - I think the agreed position is to have water in (ideally from the same area as the distillery), at about a 50/50 mix. Myself, I like to have ice in nowadays, I just prefer having it a bit colder and not quite as strong. Back in the old days I'd drink it straight. Those were bad old days. And wonderful old days as well, strangely.

I've decided to stop drinking cider; I only started a couple of years ago to have a 'sociable' drink that I can have in tandem with beer drinkers, but I can't stand how much it makes me piss. I swear, I was in Bill Hicks:Slight Return on Friday and never needed to pee so much in my life. I'd actually resigned myself to the inevitability of wetting myself, and had started making contingency plans as to how I'd deal with the disaster (and this was still 15 min from the end of the show). The fact that I managed to contain myself is the best reason I've ever found to prove the existence of god.

I just become patronising' date=' insulting, arrogant, rude and verbally aggressive. I also speak in some kind of, "in" tongue that only I'm in on... and yes, nobody else finds it amusing but myself.[/quote']

That just describes me when I was a drunken student. I like to think I'm a bit more toned down than that nowadays...

I think tonight I'm going to work my way through the lists of drinks suggested in The Moorings and find me a new favourite. The only problem I can see is that a lot seem to be only available in The Moorings.

It's either that or I'll have to teach myself to drink whiskey or other spirits straight. I'm pretty good at making myself like something :)