I need a new drink

Metarie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it doesn't' date=' tomatoes are fruit. </pedantry> ;)[/quote']

Shush :p

Actually the mere smell of celery makes me physically sick, so I'll pretend that's what i meant. Ahem.

Tried the appleton white rum, lemonade and fresh lime in the moorings last night and it was rather lovely. Nice and cheap too, added bonus :)

For future reference, if anyone sees me drinking cider and then later on gin and tonics please, for the sake of my relationship with my boyfriend and friends, remove the drink from my hand and give me a good slap. Mixing drinks always seems like a good idea at the time but I need to learn!

I like a straightforward G&T (with a slice of lime and ice), or a good single malt over ice. I don't see how anyone can say "this alcoholic drink makes me melancholic but this one makes me happy". They are all just the same alcohol, any notion that a specific drink makes you feel one way or another is entirely psychological.

My favourite cocktail is a combination of the reduced citric acid extractions of the rootbark of a particular south american vine and the seeds of a particular middle-eastern shrub. It tastes utterly vile but it's a pharmacological work of art and an ontological sledgehammer. I don't think you can buy shots of it in moshulu though.

It's upstairs in the Academy shopping centre. God knows its exact location. Just wander around the featureless and sterile corridors until you see a sign for it. It's quite pleasant once you're in' date=' I suppose. The atmosphere has left something to be desired every time I've been in.[/quote']

easiest way to get to it is to walk into the courtyard of the academy from belmont street, then keep going forwards until you get to the stairs. At the top of the stairs is Chi Bar.

If you wander around in the centre itself you're liable to stumble across enigma. Which isn't nearly as good.

I like a straightforward G&T (with a slice of lime and ice)' date=' or a good single malt over ice. I don't see how anyone can say "this alcoholic drink makes me melancholic but this one makes me happy". They are all just the same alcohol, any notion that a specific drink makes you feel one way or another is entirely psychological.

My favourite cocktail is a combination of the reduced citric acid extractions of the rootbark of a particular south american vine and the seeds of a particular middle-eastern shrub. It tastes utterly vile but it's a pharmacological work of art and an ontological sledgehammer. I don't think you can buy shots of it in moshulu though.[/quote']

It's not the actual drink that makes me emotional/depressed. It's if I've been drinking gin and tonics and cider all night and something happens. It's always something trivial and that I wouldn't normally get upset about, but if I've been drinking this stuff I blow it out of proportion and can't snap myself out of the mood I get into. And no, it's not the same if I've not been mixing my drinks.

I like a straightforward G&T (with a slice of lime and ice)' date=' or a good single malt over ice. I don't see how anyone can say "this alcoholic drink makes me melancholic but this one makes me happy". They are all just the same alcohol, any notion that a specific drink makes you feel one way or another is entirely psychological.[/quote']

Well that easy to put to the test. Like all drugs there is an element of mood enhansion. But alcohol is not the only psychoactive present in drinks. There are many other mildly psychoactive substances present that imbue other more subtle effects. It's these that determine how under similar circumstances (brain chemsitry wise) different drinks will produce different feelings.

As a classic example try drinking draught guiness verses Somerset scrumpy. Or OVD and coke verses Patron Silver Tequila in a sunrise/sunset. Most people will experience quite a dramatic difference.

Personally I find that the worst moods, and hangovers, are produced by low quality drinks that contain lots of additives, some even adding ethanol as opposed to being naturally fermented. Blue WKD, draught Stella, Smirnoff Ice etc...