aberdeen-music

Skin Removal (WARNING-contains potentially upsetting images)

Personally I do not see where the problems are. I have researched scarification quite a bit in the past- whether it be chemical' date=' cutting, skin removal, branding or even using a tattoo machine with no ink and a longer needle- and as long as you have it done professionally (and not by your drunk mate with a stanley knife out of his dad's tool box) clean it regularly, keep it dressed and all the obvious, sensible things you would do with an open wound then the risk of infection is no greater than getting a tattoo or piercing. The same goes for sub-dermal implants. This is just another case of ignorant people disliking what is different, and thinking that it's "wrong" because of that- just like when piercing began to get popular in this country. If a mentally fit and consenting adult wants to permanently mark their bodies in a way that makes them feel good about themselves who has the right to say otherwise. Jewish boys are circumcised at birth- obviously against their will- and no one complains about that. The whole point of any body modification is people expressing themselves in a way that THEY enjoy and makes them feel good about themselves.[/quote']

Thats all well and good....but come on...it looks shit!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone wants to do that to themselves, fine. I still have the right to say it looks pretty fucking stupid.

What I find more offensive is the attitude taken to people with star tattoos :p although, I can perfectly understand it I plan on having the tattoos my back (two of which are nautical stars) turned into a larger design. But this skin removal? Nay. Scarification makes me queasy enough.

....The whole point of any body modification is people expressing themselves in a way that THEY enjoy and makes them feel good about themselves.

and what are these people communicating?

"hey, look at me, I am different"...

It's a sad state of affairs when people have to jam dobbers and ords under their skin to get noticed, or to "prove they are different".

or "feel good about themselves" (how would they know having a blob of metal under the skin will make them "feel good" ? (that's the bollox people use to justify trying to "be different")

I think the most effect subversives, are the ones that blend in, and can talk the talk, when asked.

to me, I think it's 99% about people needing attention, because they didn't get enough from mummy and daddy when they were growing up. it's the 1% who actually do it "for themselves". (self proof, knowledge etc).

it's just a sad world we live in, where people think they have to LOOK different, in order to BE different, the most important place to be different in, is the brain.

PS, there are plenty of people "complaining" about young circumcision, just to sort that point out.

Guest Craig C
and what are these people communicating?

"hey' date=' look at me, I am different"...

It's a sad state of affairs when people have to jam dobbers and ords under their skin to get noticed, or to "prove they are different".

or "feel good about themselves" (how would they know having a blob of metal under the skin will make them "feel good" ? (that's the bollox people use to justify trying to "be different")

I think the most effect subversives, are the ones that blend in, and can talk the talk, when asked.

to me, I think it's 99% about people needing attention, because they didn't get enough from mummy and daddy when they were growing up. it's the 1% who actually do it "for themselves". (self proof, knowledge etc).

it's just a sad world we live in, where people think they have to LOOK different, in order to BE different, the most important place to be different in, is the brain.

PS, there are plenty of people "complaining" about young circumcision, just to sort that point out.[/quote']

I totally agree.

Man, those images are disgusting haha.

Personally I do not see where the problems are. I have researched scarification quite a bit in the past- whether it be chemical' date=' cutting, skin removal, branding or even using a tattoo machine with no ink and a longer needle- and as long as you have it done professionally (and not by your drunk mate with a stanley knife out of his dad's tool box) clean it regularly, keep it dressed and all the obvious, sensible things you would do with an open wound then the risk of infection is no greater than getting a tattoo or piercing. The same goes for sub-dermal implants. This is just another case of ignorant people disliking what is different, and thinking that it's "wrong" because of that- just like when piercing began to get popular in this country. If a mentally fit and consenting adult wants to permanently mark their bodies in a way that makes them feel good about themselves who has the right to say otherwise. Jewish boys are circumcised at birth- obviously against their will- and no one complains about that. The whole point of any body modification is people expressing themselves in a way that THEY enjoy and makes them feel good about themselves.[/quote']

would you happen to know if the skin grows back, or is it like for life?

it's just a sad world we live in' date=' where people think they have to LOOK different, in order to BE different, the most important place to be different in, is the brain.[/quote']

okay, can we find common ground in that tattoos are a form of art?

and the sole reason of tattoos is to convey some sort of message (back in the early days - indian/tribal tattoos to show to which tribe you come from, and prison/inmate tattooing for ID purposes) or to simply look interesting or cool. and either way, it comes down to the fact that tattoos are SUPPOSED to be looked at, and not *just* for ones personal satisfaction, right?

so stars or hearts or skulls are often not conveying a message anymore, but i've seen many a tattoo that are simply amazing. i think it's a sort of attachment (no pun int--- oh right, right)

okay' date=' can we find common ground in that tattoos are a form of art?[/quote']

yes, absolutly.

and they are done by people, who want to be looked at. (and also want to be considered "out of the norm"), or is that a general asumption too far?

(back in the early days - indian/tribal tattoos to show to which tribe you come from' date=' and prison/inmate tattooing for ID purposes) [/quote']

aye, once again, that served a "function", how many people in the UK do you know, that have a tattoo, needed to get it, as part of a ritual, or a rite of passage? (and be honest)

or to simply look interesting or cool. and either way' date=' it comes down to the fact that tattoos are SUPPOSED to be looked at, and not *just* for ones personal satisfaction, right?[/quote']

I think I'd said that point in my post already, so, yes, I think tattoos now are done to get "noticed" (as well as body mods of any kind)

so stars or hearts or skulls are often not conveying a message anymore' date=' but i've seen many a tattoo that are simply amazing. i think it's a sort of attachment [/quote']

again, yip, I agree, there is some stunning art work in tattooing...

now, scarring and sticking metal under you skin to make horns and knobbles...

no skill, no art, just 100% pure "LOOK AT ME, I CAN SHOCK YOU, BY LOOKING LIKE THIS, I AM NOT LIKE YOU, I AM DIFFERENT!"

but, each to their own, as we all agree, I just with these folks would be less trivial as to think that LOOKING different makes you different, hold a conversation with 90% of these tubes, and you'll probably find them dull, uninteresting morons, who need body mods to talk about, because they do fuck all else "interesting" in their lives....

yes' date=' absolutly.

and they are done by people, who want to be looked at. (and also want to be considered "out of the norm"), or is that a general asumption too far?

aye, once again, that served a "function", how many people in the UK do you know, that have a tattoo, needed to get it, as part of a ritual, or a rite of passage? (and be honest)

.[/quote']

i might have seen one or two on local sailors, but no, never one who has it done out of necessity. otherwise i would not live to tell the tale ;)

what' date=' like maps home? and "emergency phone numbers" ( he he ).

now that is a reason to get a tattoo![/quote']

now thats an idea!

though i'm still waiting for someone to get all that shit inked they got when they passed out drunk, with their friends drawing all over them. that would be really impressing....

now' date=' scarring and sticking metal under you skin to make horns and knobbles...

no skill, no art, just 100% pure "LOOK AT ME, I CAN SHOCK YOU, BY LOOKING LIKE THIS, I AM NOT LIKE YOU, I AM DIFFERENT!"

[/quote']

what a load of shit.

Have you seen lots of scarification in order to say it requires no skill?

Mabye some people get body mods in order to get the 'look at me' yada yada yada but not all.

I have tattoos and streached piercings but i DID NOT get them to go "LOOK AT ME, I CAN SHOCK YOU, BY LOOKING LIKE THIS, I AM NOT LIKE YOU, I AM DIFFERENT!"

Im not saying that no one gets bod mods for that reason but to say its 100% pure... isnt true.

what a load of shit.

Have you seen lots of scarification in order to say it requires no skill?

Mabye some people get body mods in order to get the 'look at me' yada yada yada but not all.

I have tattoos and streached piercings but i DID NOT get them to go "LOOK AT ME' date=' I CAN SHOCK YOU, BY LOOKING LIKE THIS, I AM NOT LIKE YOU, I AM DIFFERENT!"

Im not saying that no one gets bod mods for that reason but to say its 100% pure... isnt true.[/quote']

yeah, I watched the body mods programme on channel 4 just the other week...

peter "mechanical bee" smith (or what ever his name was) was getting his ears mutilated by his mate, who'd "learned as he went"...

skillful?...

you'd have to lump the guys from jackass and dirty sanchez in that group, because they have the "skills" to hammer nails etc into their flesh.

besides, I don't think the "skills" of inserting ball bearings under the skin is anywhere NEAR the skills of a tattoo artist.

and, if you'd have read the previous posts, I did say "not all" people, but, it's a tiny majority that do it for spirituality,"true" exploration of human parameters...

and please quote my "100%"...I think I got as high as 90%...but that was just my "assumption" (makes an ass out of you and me).

I have tattoos and streached piercings but i DID NOT get them to go "LOOK AT ME' date=' I CAN SHOCK YOU, BY LOOKING LIKE THIS, I AM NOT LIKE YOU, I AM DIFFERENT!"

[/quote']

so why did you fuck up your ears and get tats (to what extent?)

please don't tell me it's because you felt like it....

I bet it had everything to do with wanting to "look different", to stand out from the crowd...