aberdeen-music

Promoting in Aberdeen:

Ross

1) Lemon Tree booker - apparently now does the booking for Perth COncert Hall' date=' thus his move down here, and no longer does the Lemon Tree. That's what i was told anyway!

[/quote']

yes he does book for perth ch but still books for the melon tree, therefore increasing his booking power

its not my place to say anything, and i wont say anything about his tactics

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes he does book for perth ch but still books for the melon tree' date=' therefore increasing his booking power

its not my place to say anything, and i wont say anything about his tactics[/quote']

Isn't promoting a knife fight anyway, in terms of how personal it can be?

i wouldnt know anything about that' date=' i generally put on shows that nobody else in abdn would want to put on

you would probably be a better person to judge on it given your vast experience[/quote']

So why insinuate things about the LT's guy, then, hmm?

Might be wise to be careful, eh?

yes he does book for perth ch but still books for the melon tree' date=' therefore increasing his booking power

its not my place to say anything, and i wont say anything about his tactics[/quote']

That's correct, he does the booking for both The Lemon Tree and Perth Concert Hall.

So why insinuate things about the LT's guy' date=' then, hmm?

Might be wise to be careful, eh?[/quote']

What did he insinuate? Seemed to me that all he said was that he also booked the Perth Concert hall and that he wasn't going to comment on it.

Considering that was Maxi posting it seemed remarkably diplomatic and restrained :up:

I wonder how the restructuring of the 'Lemon Tree funding' is going to pan out for the place...

I'm going to predict that nothing will change, except possibly a focus on more cultural things in an attempt to attract more funding. I don't believe for a second that the council would close the doors, not with an election coming up. Given that the EE gave front page headlines to the place before, any threat of closure would probably see the usual EE publicity machine campaigning to save it and so on.

Regardless of people's individual thoughts, a stable Lemon Tree seems pretty important to me.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see another victim elsewhere, though.

I'm going to predict that nothing will change' date=' except possibly a focus on more cultural things in an attempt to attract more funding. I don't believe for a second that the council would close the doors, not with an election coming up. Given that the EE gave front page headlines to the place before, any threat of closure would probably see the usual EE publicity machine campaigning to save it and so on.

Regardless of people's individual thoughts, a stable Lemon Tree seems pretty important to me.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see another victim elsewhere, though.[/quote']

That's that sorted then...

• 2 years later...

It's been amusing revisiting this thread after all this time.

In the intervening period Snafu, Retro Rebels, and The Moorings Bar have collaborated on several events, and this has worked out very well for all parties. If you guys are reading this then "THANK YOU".

Until recently only Snafu, Drummonds, and The Moorings Bar were cooperating by taking each others gig posters and promo material. Unfortunately subsequent to it's takeover this is no longer the case with Drummonds.

Ironically The Tunnels, Drummonds, and Moshulu stood to gain most by participating in this as they typically host many more gigs than Snafu and The Moorings do.

After years of putting up anyones posters (and not seeing any detrimental effect from doing this) we shall now be refusing posters from The Tunnels, Drummonds, and Moshulu. That's their loss. If they ever see sense then we'll happily reinstate the open policy.

In the meantime we'll continue to accept posters from (most) other sources.

It was interesting to note that many of my predictions from earlier in the thread have since come to pass.

The youth of Aberdeen is where things should now be aimed at. Places having over 18s policies does nobody any favours. Yes I realise everyone has a business to run but more and more local youngsters are being pushed out the door, especially on weekends when this is the time of the week they have more time and money than the rest. School nights quickly affect gig attendance as does transport home, take the risk of these factors away i.e. allowed to attend gigs on weekends and they're more likely to go.

This is a situation happening in most cities just now not just Aberdeen.

In my opinion something has to be done. I'm not suggesting all pubs open their doors to unders but at least have somewhere like a town hall or Lemon Tree type venue that is willing to help out and take them off the streets

The youth of Aberdeen is where things should now be aimed at. Places having over 18s policies does nobody any favours. Yes I realise everyone has a business to run but more and more local youngsters are being pushed out the door, especially on weekends when this is the time of the week they have more time and money than the rest. School nights quickly affect gig attendance as does transport home, take the risk of these factors away i.e. allowed to attend gigs on weekends and they're more likely to go.

This is a situation happening in most cities just now not just Aberdeen.

In my opinion something has to be done. I'm not suggesting all pubs open their doors to unders but at least have somewhere like a town hall or Lemon Tree type venue that is willing to help out and take them off the streets

I couldn't disagree more. Having an 18+ policy has some minor benefits, you know little things, like being economically viable. Oh - and avoiding going to jail for life because some kid has drunk itself to death in the toilets.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I've just read through this thread - I'd never seen it before...

Some excellent points made by Flash, and I've had many of the same thoughts - funny how history repeats itself.....

I am all for everyone pulling together and attempting to make something of the scene. As a very small starting point, I've just set up a new myspace page:

MySpace.com - Aberdeen Gig Listings - UK - www.myspace.com/aberdeengiglistings

It's obviously just at the basic stage just now, but the idea is that anyone who wants their gig listed, emails me at aberdeengiglistings@googlemail.com and I'll add it on. Send me your jpegs too and I'll put them on the site.

I will also do say a weekly run of commenting people (not with masses of jpeg flyers!!) with a list of gigs for that week (or possibly just monthly, will depend on how many gigs there are to advertise).

Long term, it would be good to set up a mailing list with all upcoming Aberdeen gigs - by "all" I mean all the ones that have been e-mailed to me, or ones that I just know about and am interested in - I will put in the effort to check out what's on on this site etc. but if you email me with flyers etc that works better!!

And, I don't mean the "big" gigs in Aberdeen either. I'm limiting this to Moorings, Tunnels, Drummonds, Moshulu, Cellar 35, Malt Mill, Kilau, Lemon Tree, etc etc - you get the picture. I.e. no Music Hall or AECC gigs will be listed!! Any local bands nights or the "smaller" touring acts etc. You know the kind of gigs I mean!!

Anyway, fire the emails to aberdeengiglistings@googlemail.com

Once I have the myspace designed to a better standard and updated etc I'll put a new thread on the site up. I'll endeavour to add loads of Aberdeen folks from myspace, and keep them informed! It ain't much, but hopefully it will help!

Cheers,

Calum :up:

I couldn't disagree more. Having an 18+ policy has some minor benefits, you know little things, like being economically viable. Oh - and avoiding going to jail for life because some kid has drunk itself to death in the toilets.

The Moorings runs more as a pub with one gig a week more than a music venue. I know you used to do a 14+ or 16+ policy until you found people had sneaked in bottles of vodka etc into your premises.

Bags checks are simple things to do and even then if you find someone going in, out, in, out all night you must suspect they are going out to drink in the lane or whatever so if you see them in a state you are quite within your right to refuse them entry.

My gripe isn't really with The Moorings though it's just music venues (not pubs) in general that are more and more only allowing 18+ events on friday and saturday nights.

I think somewhere like the Lemon Tree for being a community conscious place should take on the task of providing gigs for underagers to attend at weekends. Could quite easily be a Saturday matinee or tea time gig, which doesn't prevent another 18+ gig or club night happening in the evening.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
The Moorings runs more as a pub with one gig a week more than a music venue. I know you used to do a 14+ or 16+ policy until you found people had sneaked in bottles of vodka etc into your premises.

Bags checks are simple things to do and even then if you find someone going in, out, in, out all night you must suspect they are going out to drink in the lane or whatever so if you see them in a state you are quite within your right to refuse them entry.

My gripe isn't really with The Moorings though it's just music venues (not pubs) in general that are more and more only allowing 18+ events on friday and saturday nights.

I think somewhere like the Lemon Tree for being a community conscious place should take on the task of providing gigs for underagers to attend at weekends. Could quite easily be a Saturday matinee or tea time gig, which doesn't prevent another 18+ gig or club night happening in the evening.

I don't know about other Lemon Tree gigs and I have absolutely no say in it, because I'm an outside promoter, but the Exposure clubnights will always be 14+ and that's a Friday night once a month.