aberdeen-music

Help - Ipod vs Sony MP3 players

Lemonade

I was finally going to catch up with the rest of the world and buy an Ipod today, while looking online for prices I spotted a 2Gb Ipod nano for 139, however I also spotted the new Sony Walkman Mp3 player with 6Gb memory for 159. Obviously the Walkman sounds like a better deal because of the bigger memory, but are Ipods really THAT good? Or are you just paying for the name? Surely the sole purpose of both is to play MP3s and I wouldn't imagine the sound quality between the two would be that different. Advice please!

well i have a 20gb ipod (3rd gen) and my other half has the new sony nw-a3000.

Both look good and sound good but the ipods battery is shit and the sony software is honestly some of the worst software i've seen in over 12 years of IT support - UTTER pish.

my money would go on a creative zen tbh

If you're actually bothered about the sound quality, the Sony will kick the living crap out of an iPod. But yes, SonicStage is pretty balls (and don't download the upgrade from the Sony website, it actually manages to make it slower to rip CDs). The new Sony ones also look *much* sexier than an iPod.

Your Nano would have a colour screen though.

i have been using a sony for the last year and a bit and love it, the kicker over the ipod being the battery life, at that point the sony was quite a bit more expensive too, but i preferred it

i will give apple props for the click wheel though, very quick and easy to use

as for sonicstage, i have been using it and have no problems with it at all... i did start from scratch though, so i wasnt importing huge libraries of mp3's or anything, recording everything from cd to atrac3+, but really, i cant see what all the fuss is about over it, it does the job perfectly well for me...

David

Sorry about that' date=' I left my computer logged in and my flatmate is an idiot.

For the record I bought the Sony NW A3000, 20Gb, black and shiny, it's very nice.....[/quote']

A fine choice. Just remember not to drop it when you're drunk, thus scratching up one entire side of it, and making it look much less pretty. Only a fool would do that.

SONY SONY SONY SONY SONY!

After sticking with an i-pod for over 2 years and been driven fucking insane daily with its absolute shite battery life, i bought a sony HD-5. i cannot vouch for any other sony mp3's but this one is absolutely brilliant, sound quality is superb, battery life is amazing and its a piece of piss to use and to transfer songs onto. its also rather sexy to look at. sony is the future of mp3's!!

SONY SONY SONY SONY SONY!

After sticking with an i-pod for over 2 years and been driven fucking insane daily with its absolute shite battery life' date=' i bought a sony HD-5. i cannot vouch for any other sony mp3's but this one is absolutely brilliant, sound quality is superb, battery life is amazing and its a piece of piss to use and to transfer songs onto. its also rather sexy to look at. sony is the future of mp3's!![/quote']

Wouldn't you have to spend ages again ripping CDs into a Sony-friendly format though? That's one thing that puts me off ditching an iPod for anything else...

yeah, I'm musing over the shiney purple sony walkman but I'm kinda put off by the complaints over the software. Is it the only program you can use? I don't suppose Windows Media Player would work with it?

I'm sure any bugs in the software will get sorted out fairly soon though, there've been so many complaints (literally in every review I've seen of the new player) so hopefully Sony will take the hint.

the sony connect software has already had an update since we got our one, you can use sonic stage instead (recommended, its a lot better) but thus far it seems not to support the funcy shuffle modes that the player does (i.e. i THINK you need to use sony connect if you want to use the year/timewarp shuffle or whatever its called)

Did anyone else buy an iPod Mini and then go fucking mental when they brought out the much smaller, thinner Nano about 8 months later? Problem with the Nano is the screen scratches to fuck dead easily. Still an incredibly nice bit of kit tho. I'm interested in the Sony one but I'm out of favour with Sony after my third consecutive PS2 broke. Fucking disgrace.

Whilst we're talking technology, I'm wanting to buy some *awesome* in-ear headphones for my iPod. I'll pay up to about 60 so can someone tip me off on the best ones on the market?

Cheers

Mike

I'm pretty happy with my Sony 4 days in I haven't found any problems with it, except that the software is a bit pish, but if you persevere with it you can work around the annoying problems. It's still a fuck of a lot better than the software for the Sony W800i mobile with the Mp3 player, fucking piece of shit.

Oh, and also, I have 1236 songs on my MP3 player at the moment, and listen to it on shuffle, and yesterday it played "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by the Beach Boys 3 times in an hour. :laughing: