aberdeen-music

Fao: Every Single Gig Goer

huntedbyafreak

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bang on.

Everyone's done it at some point but it is extremely rude and totally defeats the purpose of going to see live music. You'd think that the cost of most gigs alone would be enough to shut most audiences up long enough to get their moneys worth...

could the problem be that modern audiences are so used to standing in clubs, (having music and visuals washed over them constantly) where the social aspect is of more importance than the music, that when they are placed in a similar environment they forget that a gig is not a club night but a live performance that should be treated with respect and attention?

Why should an artist be respected just because they're playing on a stage with some instruments?

For that matter, why do people demand respect in this city when respect should be earnt, not demanded?

There's a few bands in Aberdeen that i'll stand and watch and barely speak the whole way through, at the same time, there's bands that if I was unfortunately enough to watch, I'd probably talk the whole way through simply through being bored with what was on offer. Fair enough, I wouldn't talk right down the front of the gig, but if I'm paying for the gig, surely it's my choice what I do inside?

There's no-one on these boards who have stayed completely quiet through every single set they've ever seen. I'd be willing to bet on that, too.

There's no-one on these boards who have stayed completely quiet through every single set they've ever seen. I'd be willing to bet on that' date=' too.[/quote']

Chilli (aka Mike interesting music) might have....apart from the noise sssssshhhhhh appearing from his mouth he is dead against people talking in gigs....

I feel there is still a certain amount of respect you should have for the artists, even if you think they are pish....there are also people there who have also paid to hear the band play and not people's general wittering....i think there is a good happy medium....if you need to say something...lean into said persons ear and tell them....not the whole world...

Although when im playing, people talking doesnt bother me at all....

Why should an artist be respected just because they're playing on a stage with some instruments?

For that matter' date=' why do people demand respect in this city when respect should be earnt, not demanded?

There's a few bands in Aberdeen that i'll stand and watch and barely speak the whole way through, at the same time, there's bands that if I was unfortunately enough to watch, I'd probably talk the whole way through simply through being bored with what was on offer. Fair enough, I wouldn't talk right down the front of the gig, but if I'm paying for the gig, surely it's my choice what I do inside?

There's no-one on these boards who have stayed completely quiet through every single set they've ever seen. I'd be willing to bet on that, too.[/quote']

you're right that no one stays quiet any more but that's the problem. why not? I think the fact someone has bothered to get up on stage (quite daunting) in front of a group of people, many of whom they have never met, and then play the songs they have put their time and effort (and hopefully their heart) into means that they should be given respect. I dont mean they should have their asses kissed but people should at least have the manners and social decency to let them do this in an environment that does the music justice and allows people who do want to listen to it the chance to do so without having to listen to some dudes plans for the rest of his evening.

also you make the point that you have paid to go the gig so you should be allowed to do what you like... well lots of other people have paid too and I'd wager that at least a small portion of them would like to hear the music without the afformentioned distractions.

it's just good manners for gods sake...

http://news.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id=1819322005

It's about time that somebody said this...

the guy who wrote that article sounds like a fucking prick, in the vein of victor medlrew.

The reason nobody has respect for the "art" on show, is because it's all shit, and I think the guy is a very sad individual if he takes crap like films and mogwai so seriously. Fuck him.

Guest RockMonkey

The audience have paid their money to come in, hear music and have a good time. If they want to talk through it that's their lookout. The only problem I ever have with people talking through my sets is when it bothers other members of the audience. But most of the time the people who want to listen to the music just tell the offending chatters to hush it up.

I have seen a gig (audience around 600) where the music was at a volume for everyone to hear. There were some people at the back having a chat, which, yes could be heard but wasn't really bothering anyone. The singer threw a strop and gave the audience into trouble for not appreciating them. It made the singer look bad more than anything else.

Musicians are there to entertain the audience. If people are talking it is often because people are having a nice time chatting and listening to music rather than being rude on purpose. There is also the more than distinct possibility that they don't like what they are hearing, which is to be expected - not everyone likes the same music.

I don't like doing gigs where there is enforced silence - The Lemon Tree have done this in the past, where i've been supporting someone (mostly acoustic) and they've decided everyone must be quiet. Then they apply it to my slot as well. Which is silly becasue most of the audience are there to see the main act, and it is up to me to win them over. Forcing people to be quiet just makes people uncomfortable.

I don't see why I should command respect just because I've wandered on stage with a guitar.

So saying, it is nice when you do win a crowd over and it is clear they are enjoying it.

the guy who wrote that article sounds like a fucking prick' date=' in the vein of victor medlrew.

The reason nobody has respect for the "art" on show, is because it's all shit, and I think the guy is a very sad individual if he takes crap like films and mogwai so seriously. Fuck him.[/quote']

now, you all know me: i don't normally get involved with this sort of thing...

... but if there's anyone being a prick here, then it's you.

For that matter' date=' why do people demand respect in this city when respect should be earnt, not demanded?

There's no-one on these boards who have stayed completely quiet through every single set they've ever seen. I'd be willing to bet on that, too.[/quote']

Fuck me... Can we ban this guy please? Then again everyone with a smattering of common sense will see the small mindedness... Jesus!

(I tried to stay quiet, i did!)

Fuck me... Can we ban this guy please? Then again everyone with a smattering of common sense will see the small mindedness... Jesus!

(I tried to stay quiet' date=' i did!)[/quote']

Actually I think to a large degree he's right, being on stage shouldnt automatically mean that the room is quiet. Are you suggesting when someones on stage all the bar should be shut up or should people use mime and semaphore to order their drinks, why discriminate one noise for another, because without the bar there couldnt be most gigs ? There will always be background noise at gigs, the very style of places they take place pretty much demand that.

Surely if an artist is good enough then they will command the respect of the audience, I remember a gig in 2001 where there was a musical break in a passage and there was complete silence in an 800 strong audience, you could hear a pin drop, why ? because they all had their eye on the act, usually if people are chatting through a gig its because the gig isnt holding their attention surely.

It's not small mindedness to expect when you've paid your money to be entertained, if the band/act cant do that is it your fault ?

The DD gig on Monday was a great example of a gig where everyone kept to a reasonable level, why, because most people were enjoying the show.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest bluesxman

I personally don't see the point of paying to go to a gig then yapping shit all through it, it's the same as going to the cinema and spoiling everyone elses enjoyment of the film by talking . If you have something THAT important to talk about maybe you should just be sitting in the pub....and let's face it, the fact Mogwai were mentioned was always going to get someone saying 'Oh why should we be quiet for them?'

(I tried to stay quiet' date=' i did!)[/quote']

Interesting when one of the Arkade people has said how he enjoys heckling at gigs:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showpost.php?p=333692&postcount=5

surely thats a similar thing, everyone has to be quiet unless they work for Arkade and then shouting abuse at the bands is OK ? (I know he says they're friends but surely it can stifle other peoples enjoyment just as much?) Hmmm, surely thats the type of person you're saying ahouldnt be allowed in a gig, so one of your own promoters is one of the people that your talking about, interesting... Can people say 'hypocrite'... nice to know that its OK for one of the Arkade promoters to do it at other gigs but not OK for anyone to do it at yours.

El Flosso :up:

As Maxi pointed out he tends to do it to his mates... he has heckled me before and as one of his mates I enjoy every word he has screamed at me... I scream at him... and so the circle of love goes round.

I'd say at about 95% of the gigs I've been to with Maxi there (quite a few) he's usually bobbing his head in that way he does and for...

quieter acts - he is wordless

louder acts - screaming stuff like "That's the stuff!"

bands he knows - "ye cunts"

I wouldn't consider him a bad audience member' date=' he certainly spends the majority of his waking hours seeking out new bands, attending gigs and helping contribute to bringing these acts up here to aberdeen.

Which is more than can be said for most.

He certainly isn't guilty of sitting talking through gigs... the odd heckle, yes... asides that he's a little angel :angel:[/quote']

Ah but you're missing the point, I'm pretty sure Mogwai werent too bothered about someone talking in the audience and I'm pretty sure the people talking werent bothered but the people around them were. It's the same principle with the audience, heckling could be just as annoying to the people around and about as talking. He's not having a go at Maxwell, for one heckling never bothered me - it's an intrinsic part of gig going and something all performers should learn to deal with, the point is that you can't discriminate one type of thing from another, both are potentially annoying for the audience but both are intrinsic parts of going to a gig. If someone's going to start insulting someone because they say that they think that sort if behaviour - as long as not overdone - is fine, then people should call on a banning for all that kind of behaviour (friends or not) and that would mean cleaning up your own backyard before criticizing others.

Cheers

Stuart

Actually I think to a large degree he's right' date=' being on stage shouldnt automatically mean that the room is quiet. Are you suggesting when someones on stage all the bar should be shut up or should people use mime and semaphore to order their drinks, why discriminate one noise for another, because without the bar there couldnt be most gigs ? There will always be background noise at gigs, the very style of places they take place pretty much demand that.

Surely if an artist is good enough then they will command the respect of the audience, I remember a gig in 2001 where there was a musical break in a passage and there was complete silence in an 800 strong audience, you could hear a pin drop, why ? because they all had their eye on the act, usually if people are chatting through a gig its because the gig isnt holding their attention surely.

It's not small mindedness to expect when you've paid your money to be entertained, if the band/act cant do that is it your fault ?

The DD gig on Monday was a great example of a gig where everyone kept to a reasonable level, why, because most people were enjoying the show.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

The point being made in the article is not about respecting the bands/performers, except in the case of the theatre, but respecting fellow audience, who, like you have paid thier good money and should be allowed to watch and be entertained, or otherwise, without being distracted by ignorance and lack of consideration for those around. No one, surley, would expect a silent audience at a gig, except in the case of the quite acoustic events maybe, and I would find it a little spooky...

(Cloud again missed the point by a mile)

Bands (of volume) will, more often than not, be unaware of the chatter out front, amps, drums, monitors, performing will see to that. So the point is not whether we should respect the bands but rather do we respect others in the audience that want to enjoy what they have paid money to see? Anyone that has to think about this answer should never go out again!

The article makes a valid point about the difference in 'audience engagement' with the entertainment over that last 'cough cough' years though. I thought it was a great article!

Jim

Aherm

Interesting when one of the Arkade people has said how he enjoys heckling at gigs:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showpost.php?p=333692&postcount=5

surely thats a similar thing' date=' everyone has to be quiet unless they work for Arkade and then shouting abuse at the bands is OK ? (I know he says they're friends but surely it can stifle other peoples enjoyment just as much?) Hmmm, surely thats the type of person you're saying ahouldnt be allowed in a gig, so one of your own promoters is one of the people that your talking about, interesting... Can people say 'hypocrite'... nice to know that its OK for one of the Arkade promoters to do it at other gigs but not OK for anyone to do it at yours.

El Flosso :up:[/quote']

:nono: :nono: :nono:

I can't think where you saw the 'Arkade Gig Going Rule Book For Punters'...

"surely thats the type of person you're saying ahouldnt be allowed in a gig," Where did I say that?

Please, everyone go back and read the article...

Jim

I don't think everyone has to be silent through a gig, but I certainly don't think people should be stood mid-crowd discussing their weekend plans or last night's football matches. It's out of respect for the paying audience, not the artist.

The thing that really gets me is at bigger gigs (Music hall, AECC, and esp. T in the Park) people clapping along to EVERY FUCKING SONG. Now, I enjoy a good clap-a-long, it's great when it's done at the right moments. But I actually want to hear the band at some point without everyone adding their own unfathomable time signature. I've only really seen it with bands who have probably been on Top of the Pops, where the majority of the audience are not regular gig-goers and their musical taste doesn't extend beyond Radio 1's daytime playlist (That sounds really snobby :( ) but it still irritates me. Anyone else noticed this?

Actually I think to a large degree he's right' date=' being on stage shouldnt automatically mean that the room is quiet. Are you suggesting when someones on stage all the bar should be shut up or should people use mime and semaphore to order their drinks, why discriminate one noise for another, because without the bar there couldnt be most gigs ? There will always be background noise at gigs, the very style of places they take place pretty much demand that.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

"It's not small mindedness to expect when you've paid your money to be entertained, if the band/act cant do that is it your fault ? "

Supposing I (me, myself, I) am entertained ? but the 100 other twats who have got the attention span of a newt talk like fuck ? that's not the bands fault, it's the pricks that pay good money to go to a GIG (not a pub, where it's free, and a bit quieter) AND TALK ALL THE WAY THROUGH IT.

I never understand the argument "I payed my money, I can do what I like"...

why not save yer fucking money, and fuck off to the PUB....

and, if anyone wants to talk about how good a song is, wait till the fucking gap in the set...

NOT DURING THE "amazing song"...

twats.

[/quote']

Compare "Two pints of tennents please" to "Last week I bumped into Simon and he said that Steve met Stuart in Fraserburgh a couple of weeks ago, he was up there for his cousins wedding, you know the little weasely one Martin, and, you'll never guess, but Sharon is......" ad nauseum.

Not really a good comparison.

I'm pretty sure Mogwai werent too bothered about someone talking in the audience

I actually got the link for this article from the Mogwai website. I'm pretty sure that they hate it when people talk all the way through their shows... I know I do.

Actually I think to a large degree he's right' date=' being on stage shouldnt automatically mean that the room is quiet. Are you suggesting when someones on stage all the bar should be shut up or should people use mime and semaphore to order their drinks, why discriminate one noise for another, because without the bar there couldnt be most gigs ? There will always be background noise at gigs, the very style of places they take place pretty much demand that. [/quote']

Jester, that's not the point of the article at all... It's about people standing in the audience yelling at each other and ruining other peoples enjoyment of the gig. Your point about the bar is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Of course there will be background noise at gigs... but it's the unneccessary noise that we're talking about. Get on topic.

Supposing I (me, myself, I) am entertained ? but the 100 other twats who have got the attention span of a newt talk like fuck ? that's not the bands fault, it's the pricks that pay good money to go to a GIG (not a pub, where it's free, and a bit quieter) AND TALK ALL THE WAY THROUGH IT.

I never understand the argument "I payed my money, I can do what I like"...

why not save yer fucking money, and fuck off to the PUB....

Lepeep, Jim... THANK YOU.