aberdeen-music

do aberdeen 'music lovers' even know whats going on under their noses...?!!

Dizzy Storm

i think the simple fact is you are putting on bands that not enought people want to go see, or play a style that there is not a big enough audience for in Aberdeen. Gig attendences as far as i have seen have been on the up recently there seems to be a lot more younger kids getting involved with going along to see bands, you guys just maybe arnt putting on anything they would be willing taking the chance to see. As was said a lot of these people need encouragment to go to gigs for the first time ie friends going ect fair enough maybe its not musical snobbery at its finest but hey thats what happens.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No' date=' just curious to whom you are thinking of when you say that.

You seem affa angry min!!! :swearing:

:gringo: Stick on some Extrapolation and ease up.[/quote']

angry? put yourself in sharons shoes. No i wont name the eogs but you cannot deny that many post on this site to be associated with being cool though being into music.

i think the simple fact is you are putting on bands that not enought people want to go see' date=' or play a style that there is not a big enough audience for in Aberdeen. Gig attendences as far as i have seen have been on the up recently there seems to be a lot more younger kids getting involved with going along to see bands, you guys just maybe arnt putting on anything they would be willing taking the chance to see. As was said a lot of these people need encouragment to go to gigs for the first time ie friends going ect fair enough maybe its not musical snobbery at its finest but hey thats what happens.[/quote']

i dont think arkades target audience is kids who are into shite.

here is a suggestion. I aint sayin this is true or anythin but maybe people just generally arent interested in the bands? Just a thought I had just now.

I think one of the main things this thread set out to achieve was why certain people who listen to bands of a higher profile but similar style to the ones that Arkade puts on don't attend the gigs in Aberdeen when there's a very good chance that they'd love the acts and their live performances.

I don't think many of them have replied as of yet loike...

whereas oppose to kids who dont listen to shite?

I dont get your point' date=' i wasnt even referring to stayover gigs if thats what you mean.

But on that note why is the popular music is always deemed as shite by the fucking music snobs?[/quote']

sorry my reply wasnt meant to come out that way....what i mean is arkade puts on a whole host of bands, some heavy, some not so heavy. Its not snobbery. Im sure the people you talk of would love the bands arkade put on, all they have to do is a bit of research into wot the bands sound like.

but how do they know about them?

Most of these young people either A, dont come on this site so therefor have absolutely no knowlage of Arkarde or the gigs they are putting on and B, most of them as i have said prob wouldnt go unless they are advised by a friend or if a friend is going, again i know this maybe isnt the perfect way of finding out about bands but thats the way it happens.

Why not try out adding a couple of "easier" listening bands on the line ups to try and entice these younger people to go to gigs, these kids want to listen to live music they all love it, they are always the ones cheering and jumping around they just need encouraging.

I think more promotin out with Aberdeen Music.com is needed as well again unless you come on here a lot you dont know much about the gigs they are putting on.

No i wont name the eogs but you cannot deny that many post on this site to be associated with being cool though being into music.

How can you blame the existence of this site for poor gig attendance? And all this 'egos' and scenester nonsense is a lame as fuck excuse as well, I haven't seen any rampant ego wank on here for a long while (there is a lot of music snobbery though). When I have friends visiting Aberdeen they're generally astounded by the sheer amount of different options that gig-goers have, especially seeing as Aberdeen is a pretty small city. With a smaller population of course the more esoteric types of music are going to get a bit over-looked. My opinion is that Jim and Sharon should hang in there and keep doing what they're doing, things will get better as their rep expands.

And Gridlock, you're the biggest fucking hypocrite the internet has ever seen.

I think this thread has got a little silly...people are coming up with good points and bad points...But i cant be fucked trawling for quotes! So her is some general stuff i have picked up on....

For people that are generally stating that they wont go to see a band because they arent big....then thats ridiculous....big bands have to start out small you know...and fuck, you might even like them...

Which leads me to the point that when Arkade are putting a gig on, then maybe check out the MP3's that they link you to....they often give a description of the bigger bands that they are in the style of, listen....see what you think and maybe check them out....

For the people who are basically suggesting that they put on music that they dont like to pull a bigger crowd....that is laughable...thats not what they are about.....they are trying to let you listen to a diverse range of music, not the stuff you can hear everyday in any given venue, im sure that most cities would be glad of their (and interesting musics) taste for music and what they bring to the city....i think most of the people in aberdeen are music cretins, willing to bitch and moan, but not willing to actually listen to real music and dont deserve to have such good musical promoters.

Why not try some gigs out? You may be suprised at how good underground music really is...but if you dont like it...the hey, you tried and no-one is going to be pissed off...win-win :D

What is "real music"? What is "underground" music?

To me, all local bands are "real" and they're mostly "underground" as they're pretty unknown by the people that matter in the grand scheme of things - so what are Arkade offering me, the punter, that other promoters aren't offering?

To me, if Arkade were being diverse, there would be hardcore one week, pop punk the next, noise in the 3rd week and indie in the 4th week - to me, that's true diversity, not just putting on music that's inaccessible to the majority of people.

To me' date=' all local bands are "real" and they're mostly "underground" as they're pretty unknown by the people that matter in the grand scheme of things - so what are Arkade offering me, the punter, that other promoters aren't offering?

To me, if Arkade were being diverse, there would be hardcore one week, pop punk the next, noise in the 3rd week and indie in the 4th week - to me, that's true diversity, not just putting on music that's inaccessible to the majority of people.[/quote']

I agree with what you're saying. What can you do that is different? I know that the world is lacking somewhat originality these days but if something was decided that keep the punters talking about it and makes them spread the word of somthing new to aberdeen, you might just get larger attention

Guest bluesxman

If an evening or all day line up consists of a variety of different styles of music, both so called 'experimental' and 'mainstream' then the ability to gain exposure for both camps is going to increase as friends/band members, etc will witness both sides of the fence and you never know, may find something they like. The musical snobbery shown by only being interested in experimental acts to promote is counteractive. If you go to one of the big festivals, are the acts all the same genre? No, there is a wide variety of acts from mainstream pop to way left of field acts, and while some may pass you by if you didn't know they were playing and so never made an effort to get to the relevant tent, etc, you can easily just drift in and discover something great.

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

The real reason for people not turning up to gigs is Exodus....or more accurately, David Milne

Yes, everyone, thats right. Dave Milne and his body warpin, leg twitchin, DJ action he spins in Exodus.

Its not that the music of the live bands is meek or poor, or even that the music isn't in their tastes. Its because everyone dances in Exodus and with temperatures at a dangerous 40 Celcius, people have to get prepared like drinking at home and not wasting their energy doing excessive things like clapping and cradling beers.

Mathematically, however, its quite a reasonable equation:

Exodus + 2 Fans = more gig goers

To me' date=' all local bands are "real" and they're mostly "underground" as they're pretty unknown by the people that matter in the grand scheme of things - so what are Arkade offering me, the punter, that other promoters aren't offering?

To me, if Arkade were being diverse, there would be hardcore one week, pop punk the next, noise in the 3rd week and indie in the 4th week - to me, that's true diversity, not just putting on music that's inaccessible to the majority of people.[/quote']

reading your posts is like banging my head against a wall.

what you're suggesting they did at drakes, it's been tried and people still didn't take much interest. i think the main reason is because most of the potential audience(aside from those who claim to like this stuff without attending) is only interested in what their friends are interested in like yourself. they have no interest in thinking for themselves and gigs are an excuse to go and try and grope a young girl in the corner and to talk loudly over everyones music.

the thing is the more i think about it the more i realise that with the gig on friday it wouldn't take too much of a leap for fans of things like metalcore, grindcore, post-hardcore etc to have enjoyed the bands on show. i mean how many people claim to like at the drive-in and mars volta? what was on offer was no harder to listen to than those bands. so i don't buy the thing about it being difficult to listen to. i think most people are more intelligent than you give them credit for, take out the chorus and they'll still enjoy it.

fact of the matter is that there is no magic formula to get people to come to gigs, if there was i'm sure fudge would have stumbled across it by now. though i did like the suggestion of money off if you bring people with you.

Niiiice

msn_convo.gif

HEHEHEHE

Always good to stir up a debate and Sharon has done a fine job here

:D

Obviously we will continue to put on gigs! We will continue to ignore his royal higness 'Cloud' until he stops preaching, it's all in the way things are said Sir... (bored)

Everyone that has posted, mostly, thanks. Everything is 'always' taken on board and listened to and there are elements of fact in 'most' of posts... But what I have experienced for the last, well lets just say that I have been involved in the music scene in Aberdeen for around 22 yrs, remains the same. A small cellular town with a tiny handfull of people willing to explore and too many happy to go and see thier mates band, only! This however has began to change over the last few years and yes I will happily say that Drakes played a big part in this but we merely had four walls that allowed a huge amount of people to experiment, push the boundaries, listen to something new, have a great time or hate every minute of the visit. That said we were simply there at the right time. Aberdeen flexed its musical muscle and stayed pumped. It has one of the best, compact, music 'scenes' in the country.

The diversity is improving, the venues are amazing (although a little venue wouldn't go a miss but don't do it if you are thinking about it or atleast speak to me first) and everyone pretty much gets on. Something to be proud of I would say. There is no Holy Grail to promoting but all of the promoters that take chances and bring something new to a city make a difference as it has a cognitive affect on the consciousness (subconscious) of a musical community. So I am going to keep things positive and back slap all that make an effort, reassure all that this city ain't so bad and continue to bitch slap the music scene by supporting Shaz and anyone else that thinks outside the box. Small steps...

Jim (in a slighty more philosophical mood today)

fact of the matter is that there is no magic formula to get people to come to gigs' date=' if there was i'm sure fudge would have stumbled across it by now. though i did like the suggestion of money off if you bring people with you.[/quote']

Bri did in fact have this magic formula for about two weeks. He lost it!!! :D

Cloud, what the fuck are you on about??? Seriously. You do stuff with GFN? and they're pretty much the same as Arkade??

Do you not care about the music?? Are you only a promoter cos it makes people enjoy pictures of you ina poncho??

Arkade are fucking ace. Long Live Arkade.

Id also like to point out that im still slightly drunk form last night (i know this because of the smell of my farts) and I feel quite guilty that I wasn't there on Friday for the Arkade gig.

My excuse...............I was playing gigs in ireland with Filthpact.

Your excuse............You're arseholes.

Cloud' date=' what the fuck are you on about??? Seriously. You do stuff with GFN? and they're pretty much the same as Arkade??[/quote']

Not anymore, I should've made that clear - it's my personal view on things, though.

Do you not care about the music?? Are you only a promoter cos it makes people enjoy pictures of you ina poncho??

Of course I care about the music, it's just that the music I care about would probably be instantly dismissed as not being revolutionary and not being "cutting edge" - but, isn't the most important thing that I enjoy it? I'll fully admit that my music tastes aren't sophisticated and "arty" - but at the same time, isn't life too short to worry about whether the music is cutting edge enough?

mho' date=' put a known band like Karloff (cause they are known in Aberdeen) and you up your chances. Put two known bands, then the rest of your line-up and you'll pull in the punters.

I'd never seen the bands that ours played with at the Tunnels. Now I'm hooked on all their music.

:rockon:[/quote']

Thanks but there are only so many bands in Aberdeen that pull a crowd and in our lengthy experience this rarely works.

Jim