aberdeen-music

do aberdeen 'music lovers' even know whats going on under their noses...?!!

Dizzy Storm

mho' date=' put a known band like Karloff (cause they are known in Aberdeen) and you up your chances. Put two known bands, then the rest of your line-up and you'll pull in the punters.

I'd never seen the bands that ours played with at the Tunnels. Now I'm hooked on all their music.

:rockon:[/quote']

will identity be gracing our shores again anytime soon?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, certainly looking at it from my point of view, is that occasionally Arkade Music and sometimes Interesting Music come across like musical snobs, like we can't be passionate about music or love music if we dont see the genius inherent on the people they put on. Music is completely subjective, I love commercial stuff in general more than obscure stuff, but it doesnt make my opinions any less valid or important.

Would I rather go and see a guy who commercially peaked 20 years ago or a new cutting edge band, well thats pretty easy in most cases, I prefer what I know, and what I like, and as many of the people promoting these gigs have been quick to tell me how my musical taste is crap I can assume that I probably wont enjoy the gigs.

I think that looking from the outside as someone thats never seen an Arkade gig, I would say that the biggest problem is simple as being the same as any venue/promoter faces, people not liking what you're putting on and the people who would like it arent seeing the advertising. Maybe this gig guide will solve that, maybe not. When your audience is less to start with less promotion will hiut you harder than it would the more commercial gigs.

On an aside, I dont completely agree with Cloud but see that he's coming from a commercial viewpoint and from that viewpoint he's completely correct, however these gigs arent run commercially, you cant always apply the same rules.

Cheers

Stuart

Thanks but there are only so many bands in Aberdeen that pull a crowd and in our lengthy experience this rarely works.

Jim

well just an idea. xx

Works for me when I know at least two bands. Many times the other bands on a bill, I haven't heard about at all, but after seeing them, they've earned at least one fan (maybe others from our fans too).

The number of times people say "I've never heard them" and you know if they had they'd like them and probably go and see them.

So:

1. Does the radio station on this site have the capability of doing a magazine/preview type show?

2. Can Northsound be persuaded to do such a show (I think I already know the answer to that one)?

3. Are there any other options for an internet radio type thing? (You'll have spotted I'm not up on the technicalities of these things).

I like the sound of French Disko FM. It has a nice ring to it...

Having been at loads of Int Music / Unknown Pleasures gigs over the last 3 or so years I can confirm that the promoters and gig attendees are not musical snobs...

we reckon we put in a lot of bloody effort to bring some great bands to this city. but sometimes we ask ourselves 'why the hell do we do it?!'...(well WE know why...cause we want to see them' date=' first and foremost!)[/quote']

I know this sentence is somewhat tongue in cheek, but for all the arguments on here this perhaps highlights that Arkade Projects (unconsciously?) subscribes to the cliquey nature of going to gigs?

2.One who affects an offensive air of self-satisfied superiority in matters of taste or intellect..

Well, I would have to say that thinking your taste is better or more worthy than anyone elses falls into this category, and I havent met any of the people involved in them except Sharon briefly, and they may be like that elsewhere but as I said everyone falls into this category at some point on the boards, i might take the title of the thread to imply that:

"do aberdeen 'music lovers' even know whats going on under their noses...?!!"

The 'music lovers' in commas kind of assumes that if you were a music lover you would obviously like that. Being a music lover doesnt presume we would like the stuff Arkade put on! You can be a music lover and not be interested in what they do at all.

This is not a specific dig btw, just an explanation of why, sometimes to me, they might come acrossas music snobs.

Cheers

Stuart

I like the sound of French Disko FM. It has a nice ring to it...

Having been at loads of Int Music / Unknown Pleasures gigs over the last 3 or so years I can confirm that the promoters and gig attendees are not musical snobs...

Having me on the "wheels of steel" would certainly be interesting. Can't promise quality, mind.........

I don't see anyone that attends the IP nights as snobs either - in fact, the opposite is true as most seem to be open to different genres & styles & are prepared to give something new a try.

People shouldn't just go to gigs that there are bands they know playing which is exactly my point. If people really do like music, then surely they should want to discover new music, hence a comparison with a band they liek should suffice enough for people to go to gigs.

Am I being elitist? or do I just think you're all wankers. Except Jim. Cos I fancy Jim. I fancy his head.

People shouldn't just go to gigs that there are bands they know playing which is exactly my point. If people really do like music' date=' then surely they should want to discover new music, hence a comparison with a band they liek should suffice enough for people to go to gigs.

Am I being elitist? or do I just think you're all wankers. Except Jim. Cos I fancy Jim. I fancy his head.[/quote']

you're not being elitest, you're echoing most people's opinions.

Hell, in the name of seeing something new, I even went to see Vomitus on a whim (and bought a t-shirt!).

vomitus were awesome. and also one of the most popular bands in aberdeen without having a 'commercial' sound. proving once again that you don't need to sound like the biggest selling bands in the world to pull a crowd. you just need to get people to take a chance and be good at what you're doing.

vomitus were awesome. and also one of the most popular bands in aberdeen without having a 'commercial' sound. proving once again that you don't need to sound like the biggest selling bands in the world to pull a crowd. you just need to get people to take a chance and be good at what you're doing.
vomitus were geniuses. i miss them.

People shouldn't just go to gigs that there are bands they know playing which is exactly my point. If people really do like music' date=' then surely they should want to discover new music, hence a comparison with a band they liek should suffice enough for people to go to gigs.

Am I being elitist? or do I just think you're all wankers. Except Jim. Cos I fancy Jim. I fancy his head.[/quote']

When you do consider the other factors like financial restraints then i think it's seems fair for people to go and pay to see a band they know they like rather than risk wasting money on a band they might not like at all. I know this is unfortunate but surely understandable.

There are far too many people who depend on mtv2 and kerrang for their musical needs.

This in theory means that alternate music that doesn't get featured here doesn't exist.

I will never let the media run my life. Fuck TV, Fuck corporations and fuck magazines.

I don't need some pretensious cunt telling me what i should do with my life. I will always decide and find out for myself via the internet. I really hate the idea of being a guinea pig and being force fed ideas. Then again when people try and introduce some new band on this forum, so little feed back. This is a total representation of what's happening in aberdeen.

There are far too many people who depend on mtv2 and kerrang for their musical needs.

This in theory means that alternate music that doesn't get featured here doesn't exist.

I will never let the media run my life. Fuck TV' date=' Fuck corporations and fuck magazines.

I don't need some pretensious cunt telling me what i should do with my life. I will always decide and find out for myself via the internet. I really hate the idea of being a guinea pig and being force fed ideas. Then again when people try and introduce some new band on this forum, so little feed back. This is a total representation of what's happening in aberdeen.[/quote']

You fool you can't trust the internet!!! You can't trust anything! The whole world is trying to get you listen to certain music, don't fall into their trap.

You fool you can't trust the internet!!! You can't trust anything! The whole world is trying to get you listen to certain music' date=' don't fall into their trap.[/quote']

Shut up, i do my own thing. Show some respect if thats possible. Your sarcastic replies don't prove anything. For once in you life be serious.