aberdeen-music

do aberdeen 'music lovers' even know whats going on under their noses...?!!

Dizzy Storm

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know Jim' date='

I`m still folding brochures.

Rock n Roll day today.

Jim i`d love to meet up with you sometime........ooooerrr.[/quote']

Golly gosh Ross! If only you said the times I was on the Door at Drake's. I take it it will be in a professional capacity and if so next week is good for a coffee on expenses. I'll be in toooouch.

Jim

Guest idol_wild
we have done this recently' date=' some cds were available in One UP (and will be again!) but yes it is quite expensive to keep it up and also time consuming! but expect a new one out soon![/quote']

Bring them in - people have been asking about them. They get snapped up very quickly. Emphasise the live show aspect of your promotion, too.

at least you have 40-50

:dunce:

I realised after i posted that:

a) that's on a fairly irregular basis

b) on a very good night

c) after i've harassed everyone i know into coming along

The last time i put anything on, it was a turnout of 20-odd. I see and share your plight - how to get people who'd like a lot of what i put on to come down.

Wasn't it pointed out that interesting music lose money on practically every gig though? They have a reputation' date=' but it's apparently came at a price. Money can't be lost forever, that's for sure.[/quote']

ive just caught up on these posings & the statement above is utter bollocks,

interesting music will be arround & promoting special & cutting edge events for a

long time after certain venues we know are in financial shithole & will probably cease

to be venues??????

sometimes it pays musically & financially to be an independent promoter not tied to the overhead of running an establishment.

small is beautiul

ps thanks to those who have supported our cause in threads above

ive just caught up on these posings & the statement above is utter bollocks' date='

interesting music will be arround & promoting special & cutting edge events for a

long time after certain venues we know are in financial shithole & will probably cease

to be venues??????

sometimes it pays musically & financially to be an independent promoter not tied to the overhead of running an establishment.

small is beautiul

ps thanks to those who have supported our cause in threads above[/quote']

Welcome back old bean. Cloud has already been told to go jump off one. Hope he listens... Or boils his heed!

Interesting Music all the way!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Welcome back old bean. Cloud has already been told to go jump off one. Hope he listens... Or boils his heed!

Intersting Music all the way!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

hello famous drummer, suppose imp better book stacatto set before we run out of funds

& you are all well kent celebs

he he

For many people the aberdeen scene (which is wrongly mostly associated with aberdeen music.com) is an extension of the playground' look at me im cool, whats your name on the boards' . If i here that bloody phrase again ' the boards' ill kick someone. This is not an attack on this site but rather a lot of the people that use it. Actually you know what maybe it is an attack on this site. How can one website claim to be ' the music scene of aberdeen'. I think the fact that this is nothing more than an ego filled playground under the guise of music is sad. Infact this can account for the lack of attendance in key aberdeen shows. Arkade is too weird/ different/ alternative for the majority of people in the 'music scene' but not for the reasons you think. People come on here to show off their ego's and i still think that arkade/drakes had the 'coolness' aspect for a lot of peole just for the mere fact that its different. However as people learn that arkade is real, doing a tough job finding talented/passionate bands this is too hard to handle. You see to the 16-21 age group that are still caught up in being cool, showing off, the real confronting the real world is hard enuf as it is. The fact that arkade is scraping by scares the shit outta people so they retreat back to aberdeen music, pretending to support arkade...

the answer? well there is none. Any alternative website would be gatecrashed by ego's..the simple fact of the matter is that aberdeen has no real scene. We are not known for our music. However this can change, not through internet chit chat but through word of mouth and support of passionate people , maybe even a different target audience. Why do i post here then ? Well this site IS the only site that promotes the music in aberdeen. What neils tryin to do isnt sad, the ego warzone that is abdn music is the bad thing.

I'd also like to add that its often those with least money youll find supporting arkade more

Okay, I'm going to answer this..

I understand your point but that's almost like saying what's the point of having conviction' date=' ideas, and integrity. Conforming might get results but with a very bitter taste in the mouth and at what cost? Where would be the dignity?[/quote']

There's no reason why there has to be confirmity - just because you might have a couple of popular, not cutting edge but seen as cool by the masses bands playing doesn't mean you conform in every way - heck, i'd say the using of different venues is a great way of saying "we don't conform", and as I said, you're still giving people a chance to hear and see something different *while* building a reputation up. It's not rocket science - get people knowing that your gigs are of a high standard, and you can start to push other stuff onto them.

These people put on gigs for their love of bands that have something different to offer.

Then what's the problem? I don't really understand the issue here - if the problem is merely low attendances' date=' then there's simple things that can be done - offer people 50p off for each person they bring along, word of mouth, etc etc. But refer back to this -

we reckon we put in a lot of bloody effort to bring some great bands to this city. but sometimes we ask ourselves 'why the hell do we do it?!'...(well WE know why...cause we want to see them, first and foremost!) but a lot of the time we are let down by bad turnouts, which leads to a strain on the pocket which could eventually lead to us not being able to do it at all.

I don't doubt the effort, but here it is in black and white - bad turnouts = strain in the pocket = no more gigs. So money is a factor, despite the apparent denials by some people. If it's not a factor, then I'm confused :| Bad turnouts only mean one thing : the public isn't endeared to what they're hearing. I don't think promotion comes into it, it's a simple matter of the public not being interested in what's on offer.

You're right' date=' but the point is still valid. Their shows are eagerly anticipated, and they are becoming renowned for high quality, both are things I think you need when putting on gigs.[/quote']

Yup, without a doubt, no-one can argue that their gigs have a buzz about them. They deserve a lot of credit for broadening people's horizons while still managing to be acceptable to the mainstream, and crucially, at least from my point of view - people ask me about the gigs.

Let's be honest here.... do you honestly think your typical scene gig goer in aberdeen would actually sit through a band like paper cut out or bugger off through their set... then come back for their mates band?

I doubt it as well, but at least they can hear the band, no? I remeber the first time I discovered 10ew...I was at some random gig at Drakes, and was talking to someone outside in the break between bands when 10ew came on..I was just listening for a minute and thought "this isn't half bad.." and went back inside instead of finishing the conversation. It's just the way it goes - if you're not even giving people a chance to hear the music in the flesh, it's unlikely they'll just turn up out of the blue.

Frankly 'Cloud' shut up! Not hugely interested in what you think you know about promoting!!!!!!

Christ' date=' calm down, an opinion is only an opinion :p

Arkade projects believe there is an audience for these gigs, why would we bother otherwise? But once again we find oursleves butting heads with a general lack of interest from the many that we considered to be the audience. We aren't looking for why you don't like the music we put on, and to be honest there are times I don't either. Just curious as to where all the buggers are that claim to be into this that and the other? Some of the gigs are challenging but to live without being challenged from time to time just can't be very fulfilling?

I think, possibly, part of the issue here is that people don't want to be challenged. If they're being challenged, chances are that unless they're a music lover, they'll just be turned off - I know I'd be pretty unhappy with 3 hours of music that I didn't understand.

I don't know about the point if there's an audience or not - I *think* that you can make an audience out of anything if you really want.

to be venues??????

Every venue at one point or another is financially fucked depending on who you believe and what they'd have you believe.

I have a question : why is talented associated with "being different"?

the answer? well there is none. Any alternative website would be gatecrashed by ego's..the simple fact of the matter is that aberdeen has no real scene. We are not known for our music. However this can change' date=' not through internet chit chat but through word of mouth and support of passionate people , maybe even a different target audience. Why do i post here then ? Well this site IS the only site that promotes the music in aberdeen. What neils tryin to do isnt sad, the ego warzone that is abdn music is the bad thing.[/quote']

Agreed......I feel guilty at my lack of support for Arkade so far....I think I wasn't sure of the venues at first. Effort will be made...their passion deserves our support, as Olli says.

The Aberdeen 'scene' IS out there, IMO, but a lot of it doesn't check out this site, which is a pity...it (the site) also needs our support. I'm guilty here again of not helping financially...again I'll try to remedy this.

Agreed......I feel guilty at my lack of support for Arkade so far....I think I wasn't sure of the venues at first. Effort will be made...their passion deserves our support' date=' as Olli says.

The Aberdeen 'scene' IS out there, IMO, but a lot of it doesn't check out this site, which is a pity...it (the site) also needs our support. I'm guilty here again of not helping financially...again I'll try to remedy this.[/quote']

well said , more support will siv out the egos and help arkades attendance. well said alan

cloud are u an idiot

I think, possibly, part of the issue here is that people don't want to be challenged. If they're being challenged, chances are that unless they're a music lover, they'll just be turned off - I know I'd be pretty unhappy with 3 hours of music that I didn't understand.

what a foolish boy you can be. I swear to god id smack you if you said that to my face. SO IGNORANT

Guest Zeenat Aman
what? ////

sorry I quoted the wrong post.

"For many people the aberdeen scene (which is wrongly mostly associated with aberdeen music.com) is an extension of the playground' look at me im cool, whats your name on the boards... blah blah blah."

Who?

sorry I quoted the wrong post.

"For many people the aberdeen scene (which is wrongly mostly associated with aberdeen music.com) is an extension of the playground' look at me im cool' date=' whats your name on the boards... blah blah blah."

Who?[/quote']

sorry have i offended you?