aberdeen-music

do aberdeen 'music lovers' even know whats going on under their noses...?!!

Dizzy Storm

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And useful those are. I am now more aware of what you're doing than before...and I'd love to know what your radio 2 shows are.

I am legally not allowed to announce them.

BOTH will be free shows and tickets available through a phone number on a first come first served basis. Max 4 per caller.

BOTH shows will sell out in a day or 2.

Well

The internet killed the aberdeen music scene...

An element of truth here me thinks... Certainly alot of people with fat and flat arses pretending to like music!

Don't know when Stand up Guy are returning Ross. The all knowing Shazula ain't said and I honestly never ask her what bands are coming up... I'm too busy complaing about the Aberdeen music scene to much attention to it....

Come back 'Interesting Music' all is forgiven!!!

Sorry I'm taking up space Miss Shiz. Still can't remeber my password! :O But hey I don't care :finger::p

Listings Magazine...

The problem with a listings magazine etc is that people expect too much, we did the costings and it would be about #3000 per issue to do it, would it be possible to raise that in Aberdeen, I dont know, but we're going to try. That being said also looking at alternatives,. i'm currently looking at the Edinburgh one, which is a foldout poster basically every month, trhis may well; be the way forward actually, and it would be doable for a smaller budget I think.

Thoughts ?

It might be the way to start if theres a market we can move onto a proper listing magazine.

Ah yeah on a different note VHS vs Beta in Edinburgh Ross, have you got them coming to Moshulu or should I get a ticket for them here ?

Cheers

Stuart

Please let's not expect too little!

Would this be free? How much of costs could be covered by advertising?

I picked up a listings paper in Dublin which was like a cross between "The List" and our local freebie papers. Perhaps the likes of The Independant would be able to produce something with the right input from others.

I think "The List/Time Out" are the models which should be used. Maybe the time is right to approach them again, at one time many years ago there was talk of an Aberdeen/Inverness edition.

Inverness has a listings magazine. Free and posted out. It looks brilliant and is a good read for people interested in what is going on across the board.

ICA i think it is called.

As I said.. ABERDEEN is lacking severely.

I even contemplated taking out an Advert for moshulu gigs in the Lemon Tree Brochure but felt that it was a bit cheeky.

Sorry Jamie / Andy / Marj et al.

Ross

Please let's not expect too little!

Would this be free? How much of costs could be covered by advertising?

I picked up a listings paper in Dublin which was like a cross between "The List" and our local freebie papers. Perhaps the likes of The Independant would be able to produce something with the right input from others.

I think "The List/Time Out" are the models which should be used. Maybe the time is right to approach them again' date=' at one time many years ago there was talk of an Aberdeen/Inverness edition.[/quote']

It would be free, the local press arent interested in any kind of collaboration in that way so if it's to be done its got to be done really by people here who can do it, the plan is the costs would all be covered by advertising, and it would be doable, we have checked the facts and figures for a 28 page a5 booklet, colour, etc.

Cheers

Stuart

we really believe we are doing something worthwhile and great for the city' date=' bringing acts to aberdeen, and sometimes scotland, for the first time...culturally important i'd say. but if the scene isn't supported by the public it can't last...

[/quote']

You can lead a horse to water....

I have said this before and, understandably, got a lot of angry responses, but basically I think the crux of the issue that Aberdeen does not have a large population of forward-thinking, creative, talented, motivated and interesting people, who can think for themselves. Parochial attitudes and narrow world-view are rife, even amongst those who have pretentions of being somehow culturally adventurous and perhaps even "arty" or "alternative".

Now, I'm not saying ALL Aberdonians fit that description, there are SOME good people in this city. So don't bite my head off. I think any attempt to create something in this vacuum deserves respect, so hats off to Arkade.

You can lead a horse to water....

I have said this before and' date=' understandably, got a lot of angry responses, but basically I think the crux of the issue that Aberdeen does not have a large population of forward-thinking, creative, talented, motivated and interesting people, who can think for themselves. Parochial attitudes and narrow world-view are rife, even amongst those who have pretentions of being somehow culturally adventurous and perhaps even "arty" or "alternative".

Now, I'm not saying ALL Aberdonians fit that description, there are SOME good people in this city. So don't bite my head off. I think any attempt to create something in this vacuum deserves respect, so hats off to Arkade.[/quote']

Well said and thanks. Don't forget the others though...

Jim