aberdeen-music

do aberdeen 'music lovers' even know whats going on under their noses...?!!

Dizzy Storm

mayb just my opinion' date=' but ive never even heard of half the venue's you use, mayb sticking to the more 'mainstream' venues mite help with turnout..?![/quote']

So, what you're saying is that not only can people not be bothered to even try out a new band but they can't be arsed to go to new venues - all in the centre of town - either?

Bloody hell, what do people want? Chart acts in their back gardens?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zeenat Aman
I think the title says alot...do people even know what is going on under the noses...in a lot of cases you could probably say no.

And also, do they really care? The answer in most cases is probably no again.

Right

Money, for the time being is not the issue, well not the main one anyway, and nor has it ever been the 'main' issue. Granted Drake's, in part, closed due to a firm ideology! Maybe not good business sense but fuck did we have a blast and every inch of me is proud of what we acheived. Off the back of this statement I would like to thank some of you that have posted on here explaining in a not 'too patronising way' what we should do to make a difference to our promotions? Frankly 'Cloud' shut up! Not hugely interested in what you think you know about promoting!!!!!! By the way, I'm the angry guy in this outfit but very rarley do I get Grrrr worthy so consider yourself honoured. :nono:

Promoting alternative anything will always come with a challenging set of difficulties, and yes, the learning curve is very very long and there is no absolute! Arkade projects believe there is an audience for these gigs, why would we bother otherwise? But once again we find oursleves butting heads with a general lack of interest from the many that we considered to be the audience. We aren't looking for why you don't like the music we put on, and to be honest there are times I don't either. :O Just curious as to where all the buggers are that claim to be into this that and the other? Some of the gigs are challenging but to live without being challenged from time to time just can't be very fulfilling? Christ we could all be sitting around in the cold waiting for someone to invent fire!

I'll add more i'm sure. Great thread though!

Anyone with a vague interest in music on this website cannot fail to notice some sort of Arkade Project advertisment/promotion at some point. Therefore it must be the case that these gigs don't tickle their fancy or they simply choose to ignore them. I think the "art school" scene or whatever you want to call it, is unlikely to be massively popular, comprised of a core of dedicated regulars and the occasional punter who just so happens to be in Drummonds/Tunnels or wherever because it's where they always go. But fair play for giving it a shot, some of the stuff I've been to has been quite impressive, and I'll definitely be at Macrocosmica.

Can I stress..

that there is no 'art school scene' in Aberdeen. The art school dissapointingly in terms of thought provoking social consciousness, attitude and living a little on the edge art schoolness just doesn't and isn't! Aberdeen does not have an art school scene, you must be thinking of Glasgow!

J

I think most of the ideas generated in this thread have been tired before. Sorry, I meant tried before. To be fair, I don't know a lot about the bands that Arkade are dealing with and haven't particularly noticed what gigs you guys have been putting on or when. I doubt I'm your target audience but I wouldn't know. I operate under the assumption that sometimes you see good bands on speculation or by accident but that good bands or events tend to find you anyway because the people behind them have their shit is so together you just can't miss them. Really, this thread is a nice bit of publicity generation but I can't see it's usefulness beyond that.

As with anything you're trying to sell you need to understand your market and how best to reach it. It never hurts to go back to basics and re-examine your strategies.

It lets Arkade Projects know various reasons/excuses why people aren't attending their gigs?

You don't need an excuse not to go to a gig. It's entertainment. You go if you want to. It's like the director of a movie coming on a forum and asking why nobody went to the cinema to see his latest film.

"Erm.... I was ill"

that there is no 'art school scene' in Aberdeen. The art school' date=' dissapointingly, is one of the least, in terms of thought provoking attitude and living a little on the edge art schoolness, is all but non existent! Aberdeen does not have an art school scene, you must be thinking of Glasgow!

J[/quote']

Absolutely true. I wonder why - and if the same reason could explain the disinterest that sparked this thread?

Guest bluesxman

I'm always on the look out for something different. Which is why i'm alone in my circle of friends/workmates for the majority of my musical tastes. Luckily my girlfriend is pretty open and loves some of the stuff I have exposed her to. Although not all, he he. But most of my discoveries are due to reading a review or ad which describes a band as having some sort of musical link to other bands I like or know of. Maybe some more description in ads would attract more people with curiosity like me? And where is East Neuk??? :help:

Guest bluesxman
I don't know a lot about the bands that Arkade are dealing with

That's the problem for me and where a gig guide with descriptions of the music for the various bands or a sampler CD works, but at a cost which as already ststed can be counter productive.

You don't need an excuse not to go to a gig. It's entertainment. You go if you want to. It's like the director of a movie coming on a forum and asking why nobody went to the cinema to see his latest film.

"Erm.... I was ill"

How many times have you seen people posting that they're going to a gig and can't wait and then they don't end up attending? Standing up promoters. For shame. Seems to me it's more like an excuse then :p

Forget the excuse thing then as it was tongue-in-cheek anyways. I still think this thread could be useful for Arkade to see just why people aren't attending the gigs. It's better than another thread on relationships anyways ;)

From Maxwell (posted on msn)

we do the sampler cds completely out of our own pocket (as with pa rental, sound engineer et al). at the end of the day, we can and will keep up the cds. perhaps we have to spread them further afield - agreed!

its not cheap but we believe that if it brings one more person (and maybe their friends) to some of the shows/venues it has served its purpose

funnily enough Mike from the Cavern was on about this the other week...

I`ve been talking.......... (OK OK - MOANING AND RANTING) about the need for one of these for ages.

Quotes have been done and meetings have taken place to discuss basic content etc.

The person who has all of the info etc is actually Mr Jester.

Currently we have A3 Brochures that have to be folded by myself which takes ages.

I`ve folded 2,000 in the past two or three weeks.

They are in numerous shops etc and once I can get a spare day they`ll be in loads more shops.

If you work in a shop that is likely to take one of these complete with stand then let me know and i`ll set one aside.

Currently in:

Granite City Reef

R & B

One Up

Fopp

Bassment

Moshulu

Kilau Coffee Shop

Sound n Vision in Elgin

The number of times people say "I've never heard them" and you know if they had they'd like them and probably go and see them.

So:

1. Does the radio station on this site have the capability of doing a magazine/preview type show?

2. Can Northsound be persuaded to do such a show (I think I already know the answer to that one)?

3. Are there any other options for an internet radio type thing? (You'll have spotted I'm not up on the technicalities of these things).

Guest Zeenat Aman
The number of times people say "I've never heard them" and you know if they had they'd like them and probably go and see them.

So:

1. Does the radio station on this site have the capability of doing a magazine/preview type show?

2. Can Northsound be persuaded to do such a show (I think I already know the answer to that one)?

3. Are there any other options for an internet radio type thing? (You'll have spotted I'm not up on the technicalities of these things.

Supporters can do their own radio shows, all you would need is someone to put it together, either live or send neil a cd of a pre-recorded show.

Jim here

Logged out of my own account and forgot the password... DOH!

I have just emailed a few people with regards to a city wide listings and not one that is

'venuecentric'. All be assured that there is ongoing talk in various places about this and those I'm bantering with may be able to supply initial and continued funding support.

a little of an email I wrote and sent a while back

'Recently I have been involved in informal discussions around the production of a magazine that would hopefully reach out and show what is available in Aberdeen. There are so many aspects to this city, so many things on throughout a week, a month, that I feel a publication that has collated all the relevant information and created a Monthly listings etc that would and could only show and prove that Aberdeen has a huge amount to offer. There are many that have a similar thinking to me with regards to developing a new 'culture zine'...

Some the ideas that I have bantered around:

Standard listings; music, club, art, comedy, cinema, theatre etc

music and art reviews

guest editorial, guest artists/writers

comments/letters page

Features

In general a very inclusive and substantial publication that is fresh and comprehensive and allows for single and immediate visualisation of what is happening in the city. At the moment the information for the vast majority of events, gigs, shows is very disparate and getting an overall picture is very difficult which will lead to people missing out.

In summary a new listings has the potential to further enhance what is currently being achieved and could, in many ways, bring things into focus... At the moment there is little sense of 'cityness from any publication, including the press (don't get me started) so not only could it better serve Aberdeen but anyone travelling here may see that there is much to see and do and that Aberdeen, for want of better terminology, has it going on!'